Trump's cabinet

11 hours ago, zoogs said:

Come on :( 

Conway is bad for many reasons but her appearance is not one of them.

This tweet is referring to the CIA director post, I believe, now that Rex-out-Pompeo-in at SecState rumors are swirling (again?). 

The lack of diversity in the Trump admin is very striking, but it is more a feature than a bug for some. 

I used to think the "Rex is bad at his job" stuff was reactionary or premature. But if he drops out this quickly, he will have truly been one of the worst Secretaries of State we've ever had. The guy has done virtually nothing. Every time he's *tried* to take action on something or made a statement, his boss just steps on his toes and announces an opposite position shortly thereafter.

Barring some behind-the-scenes heavy lifting we're not privy to, Drillerson has been awful. His tenure can be accurately described as showing up, breaking a lot of stuff he doesn't like & leaving. 

Of course, if there are any of us sad that Rexit appears upon us, I'm willing to hear them out as to why...

• Plus1 1
9 hours ago, dudeguyy said:

I used to think the "Rex is bad at his job" stuff was reactionary or premature. But if he drops out this quickly, he will have truly been one of the worst Secretaries of State we've ever had.

I think some of that was because of the idiot he was working for.  He would go out into the world and try to do something only to have a certain person back in Washington undercut him.

He should have quit a long time ago because he was never going to be able to get anything done.

• Plus1 1

23 minutes ago, Fru said:

I always wondered why he took that job in the first place. 

"Hey, wanna leave your cushy job as a zillionaire oil exec to be Secretary of State for the most f*cked to death administration the country has ever seen?"

I have thought that too.

I honestly thought his idea was that he could work with another "business man".

Problem is, that "business man" was an incompetent egomaniac.

24 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

I have thought that too.

I honestly thought his idea was that he could work with another "business man".

Problem is, that "business man" was an incompetent egomaniac.

I think you're right. Work with a business man, and who knows what kind of opportunities that may become available after the fact. 

Part of it could be that it recently came to light that Exxon Mobil knew about climate change for years and actively lied to the public about it. In fact, Tillerson had a fake alias that he used to send climate change information in so as to keep it separate from his own communications: Wayne Tracker.

I wonder if he thought it was time to hit eject rather than having that traced back to him and risk getting ousted without benefits. I know he's got to stay in the government for at least a year or he'll incur a tax penalty on his Exxon cashout. Which would mean he'd have to be around until at least Feb 1st, 2018.

Has anybody else noticed how Exxon Mobil is blanketing airwaves with ads trying to convince us they're the good guys leading the "American energy" revolution? Those ads annoy the bloody hell out of me.

Another theory is that Tillerson is one of the "Axis of Adults" (i.e., him, Mathis, Kelly, Cohn, Mnuchin) who thought they'd be effective in corralling Trump's worst impulses and thus serving the country. I've grown convinced Cohn and Mnuchin are just opportunists who wanted a tax cut (and Cohn a shot at the Fed chair once Yellen was relieved). But apparently Tillerson, Mathis & Mnuchin had a "suicide pact" where if one of them goes, all of them go. I don't know if I buy that, and I don't know if I buy that Tillerson belongs in this axis of adults at all. 

You're right, though, BRB. Having Trump at the helm destroys any SOS's chance at forming a rational, coherent foreign policy if it's not in lockstep with Trump's. At that point, why even have a SOS?

• 1 month later...

• 2 weeks later...