Trump's America

zoogs

1 minute ago, DevoHusker said:

you are assuming that all who attempted to cross were apprehended...what about the hypothetical other 100 that were not caught?

55 minutes ago, B.B. Hemingway said:

The Head of U.S. Border Patrol seems to think we need it.

https://insider.foxnews.com/2018/12/13/border-patrol-chief-wants-wall-agents-say-democrats-need-fund-it

So does Obama's Border Patrol Chief

https://insider.foxnews.com/2019/01/07/obama-era-border-patrol-chief-mark-morgan-says-border-walls-work

And so did Chuck, Obama, and other Democrats before it was a focus of Trump's campaign.

John Sandweg, former acting director of U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement under President Barack Obama, said on CNN that the wall is unnecessary, because the Border Patrol already catches most people trying to sneak across the border.

1 hour ago, B.B. Hemingway said:

According to Mr. Ortiz, they apprehended 453 people in one day, and not just those from Central America (Which is a whole other issue).

The status quo isn't working. I'll take the word of  a man who handles the issue on a daily basis. It's pretty clear to me that you have a problem when you have people from the Middle East making an effort to get to Mexico, just to cross our southern border. Does that sound like it's working to you?

I can’t watch the video right now but I’ve seen your posts about this guy. You realize for Trump’s visit they’re going to handpick someone who says what he wants to hear, correct? And I just read that less than 0.1% of border crossings are people from the Middle East. And there’s no way all of that 0.1% is people planning to harm us.

The status quo is working just fine. Illegal immigration has been in steady decline for years now and it’s not a very important issue. I’m not convinced it’s even a negative, so what we’re doing now for illegal immigration is fine. 

1 minute ago, RedDenver said:

Further off-topic: I'm pretty sure a modern battery powered saw would get through several steel bollards with a good steel-cutting blade. The batteries have gotten MUCH better the last couple years. I know a guy that runs a tree cutting business that has converted over to all battery-powered equipment.

Yeah, I guess mine is 10 years old, or so.... I'm in the landscape business, and do a  lot of tree trimming myself....Never considered battery-powered. Might have to look into it.:thumbs

• Plus1 1
2 minutes ago, Moiraine said:

I can’t watch the video right now but I’ve seen your posts about this guy. You realize for Trump’s visit they’re going to handpick someone who says what he wants to hear, correct? And I just read that less than 0.1% of border crossings are people from the Middle East.

The status quo is working just fine. Illegal immigration has been in steady decline for years now and it’s not a very important issue. I’m not convinced it’s even a negative, so what we’re doing now for illegal immigration is fine. 

You're not convinced illegal immigration is an issue? Woah.

• Thanks 1
7 minutes ago, Moiraine said:

I can’t watch the video right now but I’ve seen your posts about this guy. You realize for Trump’s visit they’re going to handpick someone who says what he wants to hear, correct? And I just read that less than 0.1% of border crossings are people from the Middle East. And there’s no way all of that 0.1% is people planning to harm us.

Illegal immigration is a negative.  People that want to be a part of the US need to do it legally.  There is no gray area here

• Plus1 2

5 minutes ago, B.B. Hemingway said:

You're not convinced illegal immigration is an issue? Woah.

Is it so hard to figure out what I’m saying that you get it that wrong? Woah. You do the same thing when you say Democrats want open borders. 

I’m not convinced illegal immigration is a negative, as it currently stands. That includes how we are currently dealing with it. We are stopping plenty of illegal immigrants. I think most illegal immigrants that actually make it here aren’t damaging the country in any way. They commit crimes at a lower rate than citizens. They do jobs many citizens aren’t willing to do and for less money. We don’t need to spend more resources as a country to stop a problem that isn’t really a problem. The status quo is fine.

• Plus1 2
4 minutes ago, StPaulHusker said:

Illegal immigration is a negative.  People that want to be a part of the US need to do it legally.  There is no gray area here

If illegal immigrants are helping the economy and not committing crimes at a higher rate, they aren’t a negative. They just aren’t as ideal as legal immigrants. I’m talking macro level stuff here. If they aren’t costing us a lot of $ we shouldn’t throw a lot of $ at them. 

• Plus1 2
Just now, Moiraine said:

If illegal immigrants are helping the economy and not committing crimes at a higher rate, they aren’t a negative. They just aren’t as ideal as legal immigrants.

It's still illegal.  Just because they aren't committing additional crimes at a higher rate as a US citizen is not relevant.  And whether they "help" the economy or not is debatable

• Plus1 2

Just now, StPaulHusker said:

It's still illegal.  Just because they aren't committing additional crimes at a higher rate as a US citizen is not relevant.  And whether they "help" the economy or not is debatable

Jaywalking is illegal too. That doesn’t mean it’s a negative or that we should spend a bunch more $ to stop the jaywalking epidemic. I think the status quo on jaywalking is fine.

I agree with the last sentence - that’s a big part of why illegal immigration is a debate.

• Plus1 2
12 minutes ago, Moiraine said:

How have the illegal immigrants who have gotten in had a negative net effect on the country? Is that negative net effect worth spending billions more $?

Taking advantage of American generosity, by running instead of showing up for their court hearings, AFTER being allowed in the country, AFTER entering it illegally, is enough for me. Not to mention whether they help the economy is debatable, at best. 

To be clear, I have many Hispanic friends, and have a lot more faith in their future in America than I do in other minorities that have been here generations longer. They're (hispanics) actually a pretty conservative people, which is nice.

10 minutes ago, Moiraine said:

How have the illegal immigrants who have gotten in had a negative net effect on the country? 

I heard that they're bringing drugs. They're bringing crime. They're rapists. But some, I assume, are good people.