Trump's America

zoogs

45 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

There is around 30% of the country that will love a Republican President no matter who it is as long as they have an R behind their name.

There is around 30% of the country that will love a Democrat President no matter who it is as long as they have a D behind their name. 

And that will always boggle my mind. A lot of the former would not like Trump if they met him one on one, because he’s a s#!tty person who has nothing in common with them. 

The larger the group, the more toxic, the more of your beauty as an individual you have to surrender for the sake of group thought. And when you suspend your individual beauty you also give up a lot of your humanity. You will do things in the name of a group that you would never do on your own. Injuring, hurting, killing, drinking are all part of it, because you've lost your identity, because you now owe your allegiance to this thing that's bigger than you are and that controls you. —George Carlin

Cohen paid a firm to work on Trump's behalf to rig polls during the election. 

https://www.wsj.com/articles/poll-rigging-for-trump-and-creating-womenforcohen-one-it-firms-work-order-11547722801

In early 2015, a man who runs a small technology company showed up at Trump Tower to collect $50,000 for having helped Michael Cohen, then Donald Trump’s personal lawyer, try to rig online polls in his boss’s favor before the presidential campaign.

In his Trump Organization office, Mr. Cohen surprised the man, John Gauger, by giving him a blue Walmart bag containing between $12,000 and $13,000 in cash and, randomly, a boxing glove that Mr. Cohen said had been worn by a Brazilian mixed-martial arts fighter, Mr. Gauger said.

Mr. Cohen disputed that he handed over a bag of cash. “All monies paid to Mr. Gauger were by check,” he said, offering no further comment on his ties to the consultant.

Mr. Gauger owns RedFinch Solutions LLC and is chief information officer at Liberty University in Virginia, where Jerry Falwell Jr., an evangelical leader and fervent Trump supporter, is president.

Mr. Gauger said he never got the rest of what he claimed he was owed. But Mr. Cohen in early 2017 still asked for—and received—a $50,000 reimbursement from Mr. Trump and his company for the work by RedFinch, according to a government document and a person familiar with the matter. The reimbursement—made on the sole basis of a handwritten note from Mr. Cohen and paid largely out of Mr. Trump’s personal account—demonstrates the level of trust the lawyer once had within the Trump Organization, whose officials arranged the repayment.

After this story published Thursday morning, Mr. Cohen said in a tweet that he attempted to have the polls rigged with Mr. Trump’s knowledge.

“What I did was at the direction of and for the sole benefit of [Mr. Trump],” Mr. Cohen wrote. “I truly regret my blind loyalty to a man who doesn’t deserve it.

https://www.mediaite.com/trump/michael-cohen-fingers-trump-in-payment-to-rig-polls-during-2016-election/

• Plus1 1
3 minutes ago, knapplc said:

Trump cancels Pelosi's trip to Brussels & Afghanistan in retaliation for canceling the SOTU.

Except that Pelosi's trip to Afghanistan wasn't commonly known, for security reasons.  That's a reckless, dangerous thing for Trump to be doing.

Is her trip part of the budget for the shutdown part of the government?

Security concerns aside, I have zero issues with her traveling outside the US on the government dime suspended until the shutdown is over.

She is being paid to get something done here in our country and she needs to see it through.  There is nothing in those 3 other countries that is more important at this time

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
52 minutes ago, StPaulHusker said:

Security concerns aside, I have zero issues with her traveling outside the US on the government dime suspended until the shutdown is over.

She is being paid to get something done here in our country and she needs to see it through.  There is nothing in those 3 other countries that is more important at this time

To be fair she's done her part already. It's not her fault that McConnell won't even consider the legislation that's been passed.

3 hours ago, knapplc said:

Trump cancels Pelosi's trip to Brussels & Afghanistan in retaliation for canceling the SOTU.

Except that Pelosi's trip to Afghanistan wasn't commonly known, for security reasons.  That's a reckless, dangerous thing for Trump to be doing.

Trump is a moron, but it was the right move. Fix what's in-house before making pointless trips abroad. 

14 minutes ago, B.B. Hemingway said:

Trump is a moron, but it was the right move. Fix what's in-house before making pointless trips abroad. 

No it wasn’t the right move. It was petty and childish. Even if Pelosi shouldn’t be taking the trip, his cancelling it is absolutely the wrong move. Now the president based on this precedent (yes I know now they could always do it) can just ban political opponents from visiting any foreign countries for state purposes.

All of our Reps and Senators should be able to see for themselves what’s going on in countries where we have soldiers. She probably should have cancelled but that should have been her choice or lawmakers should make a law about doing things like that during a shutdown. It should not be something a president can do out of spite, especially not based on political party. 

Let me add, I find the state of the union speech more pointless than the leader of the House visiting soldiers. I also lay the blame for the shutdown squarely on Trump and his Republican enablers. He promised Mexico would pay for this, now he’s asking us to do it. The Republicans are supposed to be against wasteful spending and they could override his veto. 

• Plus1 1

1 minute ago, Moiraine said:

No it wasn’t the right move. It was petty and childish. Even if Pelosi shouldn’t be taking the trip, his cancelling it is absolutely the wrong move. Now the president based on this precedent (yes I know now they could always do it) can just ban political opponents from visiting any foreign countries for state purposes.

All of our Reps and Senators should be able to see for themselves what’s going on in countries where we have soldiers. She probably should have cancelled but that should have been her choice or lawmakers should make a law about doing things like that during a shutdown. It should not be something a president can do out of spite, especially not based on political party. 

I should of said: Considering the circumstances, I feel it's the right move.

27 minutes ago, B.B. Hemingway said:

Like, passing legislation to reopen government?  Agreed. She should do that.

Or, if you mean staying stateside to mitigate the damage of an out-of-control unqualified White House occupant, I agree with that, too.