Trump's America

zoogs

Just now, B.B. Hemingway said:

Taking advantage of American generosity, by running instead of showing up for their court hearings, AFTER being allowed in the country, AFTER entering it illegally, is enough for me. 

What are the stats on this? How much does "taking advantage of American generosity" and running from court hearings cost the American economy. Is it a crisis? An emergency? 

2 minutes ago, StPaulHusker said:

Don't be this guy.  No one likes this guy

Image result for Obama face gif

????  I do. There are quite a few in my area, and I grew up with a lot of them.... I don't really care if you, or anyone else, likes it or not.

1 minute ago, Ulty said:

What are the stats on this? How much does "taking advantage of American generosity" and running from court hearings cost the American economy. Is it a crisis? An emergency? 

Is it illegal?

Saying illegal immigration isn't a problem is sticking your head in the sand.  We need legal immigrants in this county and people coming into the country need to do it legally.  HOW we accomplish that is where the debate needs to be.

Our immigration laws are pathetic.  It's extremely difficult for someone to become legal.  No, it shouldn't just be sign a piece of paper and done.  But, it definitely needs to be MUCH easier than it is.

The biggest issue with this stupid wall is that it's 95% a political grandstanding by Trump.  The majority of illegals don't come across that border.  So....why is it that that seems to be the ONLY place he's concentrating?

Answer.....because stoping those brown people gets his base all lathered up.

• Plus1 4
  • Thanks 1
8 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

Fun Fact: in the Hispanic community, Obama was known as "the deporter-in-chief" for his tough stance on illegal immigration.

That means Democrats and Republicans are both hypocrites!

Unrelated observation: Ted Cruz look 100% better with a beard. 

omg. Why didn’t his wife tell him this years ago? Wait... she probably did but he’s a man so he didn’t listen.

Makes me think of what George Lucas would look like without a beard. That man has almost no chin.

Also, we need to stop using this $5 billion figure for the wall. That's just the down-payment. Cautious non-partisan estimates are $21 billion for construction and perhaps $500 million a year in maintenance. If it goes the way of many ambitious and hurried government contracts, it could hit $70 billion. 

While no doubt helpful to the border patrol, they would still have to police the wall much the way they police the empty spaces. It would mean an increase, not a decrease, in personnel and resources. 

• Plus1 2
2 minutes ago, B.B. Hemingway said:

????  I do. There are quite a few in my area, and I grew up with a lot of them.... I don't really care if you, or anyone else, likes it or not.

It has nothing to do if someone "likes" it or not.  It's just a s#!tty way of trying to defend an opinion of something.

• Plus1 2

I also find this entire debate interesting because I remember a time when Republicans had NO problem with illegal immigration because it was cheap labor.  At the same time, Democrats railed against illegal immigration because they are taking all of our jobs.

As the soap opera says....These are the days of our lives.

4 minutes ago, B.B. Hemingway said:

Is it illegal?

Every type of crime has a certain amount of funds allocated to fight it. If money grew from trees we could stop a lot more of it, but we have to choose our priorities because money doesn’t grow on trees. Also, not all crimes have a negative effect on the country. There are many things more important to spend $ on in my opinion. 

Just now, Moiraine said:

omg. Why didn’t his wife tell him this years ago? Wait... she probably did but he’s a man so he didn’t listen.

Haha. My wife told me to grow one a few years back, and I scoffed at it for about 6 months. I finally grew it out, and love it. 

I mean, I looked good before, But now?!:lol:

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 3

1 minute ago, BigRedBuster said:

I also find this entire debate interesting because I remember a time when Republicans had NO problem with illegal immigration because it was cheap labor.  At the same time, Democrats railed against illegal immigration because they are taking all of our jobs.

As the soap opera says....These are the days of our lives.

No one ever has a problem with anything........until they do

3 minutes ago, StPaulHusker said:

It has nothing to do if someone "likes" it or not.  It's just a s#!tty way of trying to defend an opinion of something.

It led to my next point, of saying that they are a conservative people. 

1 minute ago, Moiraine said:

Every type of crime has a certain amount of funds allocated to fight it. If money grew from trees we could stop a lot more of it, but we have to choose our priorities because money doesn’t grow on trees. Also, not all crimes have a negative effect on the country. There are many things more important to spend $ on in my opinion. 

And, in my opinion, we spend money are far less important things right now.

• Thanks 1
4 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

While no doubt helpful to the border patrol, they would still have to police the wall much the way they police the empty spaces. It would mean an increase, not a decrease, in personnel and resources. 

To be fair, we need to increase patrolling no matter if there is a wall or not.  And...the Dems have already passed a bill in the house funding the increase in agents and equipment.

6 minutes ago, Moiraine said:

Wait... she probably did but he’s a man so he didn’t listen.

Reported....sexist statement.

5 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

To be fair, we need to increase patrolling no matter if there is a wall or not.  And...the Dems have already passed a bill in the house funding the increase in agents and equipment.

Reported....sexist statement.

I dunno, I think it has to be true for all men based on my observations. Every time I tell Elaida I like his hair he goes the next day to get it shaved.

When I've needed to verify facts for this thread, I've gone to Google and found a range of estimates and conclusions from a variety of sources.

It begs the question: where is the administration's cost/benefit analysis on building a wall? It's a huge outlay of taxpayer money on a complicated issue, with a lot of physical, personnel, and sociological components. American corporations conduct extensive studies on much smaller initiatives before committing the money, and they better have good vetted numbers and rationale to show their boards and shareholders. 

Since we have our first businessman/president, a border wall should come with a pretty clear and clean cost/benefit analysis. Even a junior staffer could churn out a decent PowerPoint presentation given a week or two.

Did I miss something, or is there absolutely nothing business-like to back up Trump's proposal/demand?