Trump's America

zoogs

16 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

Just because there are people not like you or the government doesn’t do exactly what you want is a teficulous reason to think you’re a stranger in your world. 

People in the cities feel like they are strangers because the cities are the hubs of culture and economy, and are generally quite liberal, so those people get an idea of the world as generally being progressive/diverse/etc., but are confused and don't understand a country in which someone like Donald Trump can actually be elected as President. They feel like strangers because they think that they are the ones driving and creating culture, but apparently there are others they don't understand or interact with 'out there' that have a lot of power.

People in more rural/sparsely populated areas feel like they are strangers because the cities are the hubs of culture and economy (generally speaking), and are generally quite liberal, and since these people don't have massive social environments, or as many celebrities who think the same way they do, or as much representation in pop culture, they feel forgotten and left behind and they feel like their lifestyle is not welcome or desired or cared about. 

18 minutes ago, Landlord said:

People in the cities feel like they are strangers because the cities are the hubs of culture and economy, and are generally quite liberal, so those people get an idea of the world as generally being progressive/diverse/etc., but are confused and don't understand a country in which someone like Donald Trump can actually be elected as President. They feel like strangers because they think that they are the ones driving and creating culture, but apparently there are others they don't understand or interact with 'out there' that have a lot of power.

People in more rural/sparsely populated areas feel like they are strangers because the cities are the hubs of culture and economy (generally speaking), and are generally quite liberal, and since these people don't have massive social environments, or as many celebrities who think the same way they do, or as much representation in pop culture, they feel forgotten and left behind and they feel like their lifestyle is not welcome or desired or cared about. 

Yeah....like I said.  People can't handle people that aren't like them.....so they feel like strangers.

Just now, BigRedBuster said:

Yeah....like I said.  People can't handle people that aren't like them.....so they feel like strangers.

Were you disillusioned at all when Trump was elected?

I was. I knew there were idiots out there, but not quite that many. So I can understand why people might feel like they don’t belong. I found out things about the people in this country in the past 2 years that I never knew before and they weren’t good things.

• Plus1 2
4 minutes ago, Moiraine said:

Were you disillusioned at all when Trump was elected?

I was. I knew there were idiots out there, but not quite that many. So I can understand why people might feel like they don’t belong. I found out things about the people in this country in the past 2 years that I never knew before and they weren’t good things.

I was pissed off when he was nominated then elected....but....I'm not a stranger in a strange land.  I disagree with many people around me politically.  I live in central Nebraska and don't like Trump.  I don't like a political figure.  That doesn't mean I'm a stranger.  I have one hell of a lot more in common with these people than just if I like a politician or not.

So.....the person who lives in an urban area.  They don't walk down the street and feel like they are around people like them with same interests and experiences?

Maybe this is evidence of people spending too much time listening to political pundits whose only mission in life is to piss you off so you keep listening to them.

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, BigRedBuster said:

I was pissed off when he was nominated then elected....but....I'm not a stranger in a strange land.  I disagree with many people around me politically.  I live in central Nebraska and don't like Trump.  I don't like a political figure.  That doesn't mean I'm a stranger.  I have one hell of a lot more in common with these people than just if I like a politician or not.

So.....the person who lives in an urban area.  They don't walk down the street and feel like they are around people like them with same interests and experiences?

Maybe this is evidence of people spending too much time listening to political pundits whose only mission in life is to piss you off so you keep listening to them.

Sometimes when I’m around Christians now it’s difficult to not think of how many still support him, and of their hypocrisy in doing so. Basically what I’m saying is it’s easy for me to understand where the people you’re talking about are coming from. Not necessarily that it applies to me. But did the article mention urban vs. rural or was that just Landlord?

There’s not much that makes poor people in cities different from poor people in the suburbs or the country, imo. So it’s always been kinda weird to me that they vote so differently. Exchange “poor” with middle class and I think the same thing is true.

What I see differently than I did 2 years ago is the amount of racism and the lengths people will go to to be okay with immoral behavior. I didn’t realize it was as bad as it is.

And I think you’re oversimplifying a lot by just talking about a guy people voted for. Trump winning the election, and his subsequent actions as president and the reaction of the public, have shown a lot more about the country than just about our politics, because of what has come out of the woodwork and out of hiding. It has shown an ugliness that I didn’t know existed before, at least in quantity/depth. (Can’t think of how to put it). I didn’t realize how easily manipulated people were. I knew people could be swayed in how they felt about something based on the politics of the person doing it but I didn’t think it was this bad. I didn’t know people were this stupid and sometimes it’s hard to believe I walk by people like this every day.

So again, it is completely understandable to me that some feel they don’t belong. I’m a little surprised you can’t stretch your imagination that far given what you’ve said about your dad and other people you’ve talked to.

• Plus1 1

1 hour ago, Moiraine said:

So again, it is completely understandable to me that some feel they don’t belong. I’m a little surprised you can’t stretch your imagination that far given what you’ve said about your dad and other people you’ve talked to.

Just because I disagree with people doesn't mean I'm some stranger in a foreign land.

You see....I think says more about the people who are answering the poll this way than anything........and, then it rolls over into how polarized our country is.

People from either side don't feel like they can relate at all to the people from the other side.  Our problem is that these people have stopped trying.

24 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

Just because I disagree with people doesn't mean I'm some stranger in a foreign land.

You see....I think says more about the people who are answering the poll this way than anything........and, then it rolls over into how polarized our country is.

People from either side don't feel like they can relate at all to the people from the other side.  Our problem is that these people have stopped trying.

You’re not required to feel similarly but it’s weird to me that you’re looking down on people who do. We aren’t talking about disagreements over petty things or some random politician. When I look at someone who supports Trump to this day (I differentiate supporters and voters), I see someone who thinks racism is okay, who thinks treating women like s#!t is okay, who thinks treating the disabled like s#!t is okay. Okay enough they’re willing to overlook those things. I fully understand the feeling they’re talking about. I didn’t think I lived in a country where so many people would decide to be okay with those things.

1 hour ago, Ric Flair said:

Between the amazing and booming American economy and the increasingly awesome Trump majority on the US Supreme Court, I’m really liking this Trump America. 

#MAGA

I prefer, and I think most people agree with me here, an impartial US Surpreme court standing independant of the President.

• Plus1 2
2 hours ago, Nebfanatic said:

I prefer, and I think most people agree with me here, an impartial US Surpreme court standing independant of the President.

Yeah...that liberal bloc of justices is really independent. Have you ever noticed that no one ever wonders how any of them is going to vote on a case or issue? When's the last time people were reading tea leaves trying to figure out how Ginsburg was going to vote?

:D

• Plus1 2
20 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

Yeah...that liberal bloc of justices is really independent. Have you ever noticed that no one ever wonders how any of them is going to vote on a case or issue? When's the last time people were reading tea leaves trying to figure out how Ginsburg was going to vote?

:D

The court will always have a conservative or liberal lean, which is fine as long as the courts aren't just leaning Trump.