Trump's America

zoogs

2 minutes ago, knapplc said:

What should the Secret Service have done? Told trump he couldn't go to his expensive resorts?

I'm not seeing how this is the Secret Service's fault at all. 

"Fault" isn't on the secret service really at all, IMO. Without knowing details of their working relationship, I would assume they don't have much say in the matter. Where the president goes, they go.

I would only shift some blame on them if they have any type of administrative or procedural control over stuff like this and they chose not to exercise it. But at the end of day, could they tell Trump to F off and give them a better rate? Probably not. Trump's a totalitarian. If he wants to go golfing and put the SS up in a $600/night cottage, that's what's going to happen.

6 minutes ago, Enhance said:

"Fault" isn't on the secret service really at all, IMO. Without knowing details of their working relationship, I would assume they don't have much say in the matter. Where the president goes, they go.

I would only shift some blame on them if they have any type of administrative or procedural control over stuff like this and they chose not to exercise it. But at the end of day, could they tell Trump to F off and give them a better rate? Probably not. Trump's a totalitarian. If he wants to go golfing and put the SS up in a $600/night cottage, that's what's going to happen.

So it's not really an "issue" for the Secret Service so much as their duty to go wherever trump goes. 

And trump chose to go to his resorts and put taxpayer money in his pocket.

• Plus1 2
16 minutes ago, Enhance said:

How many nights did Trump spend at Bedminster?   Yet SS rented a cottage for a year the poster said.  

• Plus1 1
21 minutes ago, Archy1221 said:

How many nights did Trump spend at Bedminster?   Yet SS rented a cottage for a year the poster said.  

Is how many nights he actually stayed there that relevant?

The chain of command goes Director of Secret Service => Secretary of Homeland Security => President. Ipso facto, this was an expense the administration approved and deemed necessary.

Considering that Trump spent more on travel expenses in three years than the previous president did in eight, I would assume it was a substantial amount of nights spent at Bedminster, particularly if the SS felt it was necessary to rent a cottage every night to be prepared for his travels.

• Plus1 1

18 minutes ago, Enhance said:

Is how many nights he actually stayed there that relevant?

The chain of command goes Director of Secret Service => Secretary of Homeland Security => President. Ipso facto, this was an expense the administration approved and deemed necessary.

Considering that Trump spent more on travel expenses in three years than the previous president did in eight, I would assume it was a substantial amount of nights spent at Bedminster, particularly if the SS felt it was necessary to rent a cottage every night to be prepared for his travels.

Yes it is relevant.  If Trump stayed at Bedminster for 30 total days ( don’t know the number) in a calendar year but SS rented a cottage for 365 days, that seems to be a SS problem not a Trump problem.  

• Plus1 2
  • Haha 2
34 minutes ago, Archy1221 said:

Yes it is relevant.  If Trump stayed at Bedminster for 30 total days ( don’t know the number) in a calendar year but SS rented a cottage for 365 days, that seems to be a SS problem not a Trump problem.  

He spent 24 nights there in the first 31 weeks of his presidency.

Who manages the Secret Service and who do they report to?

• Plus1 1
11 minutes ago, Enhance said:

He spent 24 nights there in the first 31 weeks of his presidency.

Who manages the Secret Service and who do they report to?

not sure but I would guess the director reports up though homeland security now??  What’s your reason for asking?  

Why can’t the SS figure out how to rent a cottage in a reasonable way?  Trump’s main time spent at Bedminster was in August/September.  Im only concerned with that location here because that is the one brought up earlier. 

I also don’t see the general problem here anyways.  We elect a President knowing he/she will be traveling all over God’s green Earth and the security detail costs what it costs.  Some Presidents will be more and some will be less.  I didn’t get outraged over Obama traveling when he did or playing golf when he did.  Seems fine to me that most stressful job in the world would require quite a bit of mental downtime too.  

All that said, I do wish Trump would have traveled less and went to his properties for extended stays instead of short weekend trips to make it easier logistically.  

• Plus1 1
13 minutes ago, Archy1221 said:

Why can’t the SS figure out how to rent a cottage in a reasonable way?

Because trump wouldn't let them. The grift is the point.

14 minutes ago, Archy1221 said:

I also don’t see the general problem here anyways.

Yes, you do. The money goes directly to trump's pocket.

• Plus1 3
59 minutes ago, Archy1221 said:

not sure but I would guess the director reports up though homeland security now??  What’s your reason for asking?  

Why can’t the SS figure out how to rent a cottage in a reasonable way?  Trump’s main time spent at Bedminster was in August/September.  Im only concerned with that location here because that is the one brought up earlier. 

I also don’t see the general problem here anyways.  We elect a President knowing he/she will be traveling all over God’s green Earth and the security detail costs what it costs.  Some Presidents will be more and some will be less.  I didn’t get outraged over Obama traveling when he did or playing golf when he did.  Seems fine to me that most stressful job in the world would require quite a bit of mental downtime too.  

All that said, I do wish Trump would have traveled less and went to his properties for extended stays instead of short weekend trips to make it easier logistically.  

To the bolded, I'm asking because these are paid staff members in Trump's administration who made the decision to spend the money. Making it seem like it's an 'SS' problem treats them like they're some third party vendor and they're not. They're a part of his admin.

Why would the SS be responsible for setting the terms and conditions of being able to stay at the president's resort during a vacation stay? They can't not go where he goes. Those rates were set by the resort, a resort owned by Trump, who directly profited from the expense. And somebody decided it was acceptable to rent a nightly cottage in order to be prepared for Trump's stay.

The fact that Trump basically funneled significant amounts of taxpayer money into his coffers in the primary issue here. I, too, will not harp on vacation time in general. A stressful job deserves time off. Trump verifiably took that to the extreme and made significant profit off of it.

At best, it's gross negligence. At worst, it's profiteering.

• Plus1 2

2 hours ago, Enhance said:

Why would the SS be responsible for setting the terms and conditions of being able to stay at the president's resort during a vacation stay? They can't not go where he goes. Those rates were set by the resort, a resort owned by Trump,

Why is he not allowed to stay where he wants?  If it’s so illegal for SS to pay rates and stay at his property, then SS Director needs to have a nutsack and tell Trump COS those properties are a no go because of funding. 

2 hours ago, Enhance said:

Making it seem like it's an 'SS' problem treats them like they're some third party vendor and they're not. They're a part of his admin.

They have their own line item budget correct?  If so then they have a say so.  

• Plus1 2
  • Haha 1
  • Fire 1
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
2 minutes ago, knapplc said:

"fauxtrage" is a great word. Gonna have to start using that immediately. 

Maggie is a wordsmith indeed.   - Fauxtrage from the Urban Dictionary:

Fake outrage, usually generated as a way of trying to create a controversy for the purpose of political smearing. Often the main weapon of right-wing bloggers who don't use threats to achieve their goals. Usually involves claims of racism or making huge deals out of small details such as lapel pins.

etymology: faux (French word meaning fake) + outrage (furor or indignation)
"People are talking bad about Sarah Palin! It's obvious sexism! Oh, those horrible hypocritical libs!!"