Repealing the ACA under Trump

I don't think you understand how it works. The HSA money can pay for more than a deductable, it covers a lot of healthcare related expenses, and the money is never taxed. In a 401k or IRA the money will be taxed at some point. Either when you initially earn it (a Roth version) or when you withdraw it later (a traditional version). Also, I do contribute to my retirement account(s) and get that match. Obviously if my company didn't give me anything for an HSA I may choose a different rout.

You're right, it is better for healthy individuals such as myself. Its an investment based on an assumption, that I will be relatively healthy while I am young, and need the money when I am older for medical expenses. There should be another system that fills the gap though (hence my "it needs work" comment).

I fail to see how it is really all that beneficial for the wealthy when they can only invest relatively small sums of money annually

So doesn't that mean you either pay out-of-pocket + copays until you hit your deductible? I can't say I'm terribly familiar with how HDHPs work.

I see why it is a popular option for consumer-driven healthcare. I do like the fact it doesn't tax people for their expenditures. That seems like a good option to help people keep a little more of their own money.

But I still think it's a fundamentally regressive venture. The more money you have, the more access to healthcare. I don't like that.

I think my biggest problem with HSAs is not HSAs themselves (I don't know much about the details here), but the idea that we can recede in coverage because of it. "Guys, we'll repeal the ACA and associated taxes but it's okay because you can just buy HSAs."

It's not the same and the people who end up in the s#t as a result aren't necessarily less responsible, though I think that's the idea: offload taxes, offload responsibility, and try to say people still have coverage.

Whatever happened to the 'free market' approach fixes to the ACA?? Cheap talk by cheap politicians. The repubs had 8 years - should have had a bill ready on day one that would accomplish all that needed to be done to improve health care. Good things these guys weren't around when Social Security was written up in the 1930s.

• Fire 3

... The repubs had 8 years - should have had a bill ready on day one ....

Yup. I think it's obvious by now that all of the uproar over Obamacare was primarily just a political rallying tool and empty rhetoric crafted to rile up the conservative base. If they were at all serious about it they would have had plenty of time to create some kind of consensus among republicans on a solution.

• Fire 5

So doesn't that mean you either pay out-of-pocket + copays until you hit your deductible? I can't say I'm terribly familiar with how HDHPs work.

I see why it is a popular option for consumer-driven healthcare. I do like the fact it doesn't tax people for their expenditures. That seems like a good option to help people keep a little more of their own money.

But I still think it's a fundamentally regressive venture. The more money you have, the more access to healthcare. I don't like that.

A lot is dependent on the plan, but yes pretty much what you said for co-pays etc.. Some meds are free and I get one free physical a year on my plan. I'm not sure how procedures work. I also get a free bio screening and some money back for completing that and taking a health survey.

It's the status quo right now...

Whatever happened to the 'free market' approach fixes to the ACA?? Cheap talk by cheap politicians. The repubs had 8 years - should have had a bill ready on day one that would accomplish all that needed to be done to improve health care. Good things these guys weren't around when Social Security was written up in the 1930s.

I think you'll find some real commitment to this by a number of Republicans. Which is partly the problem -- now that the ACA has been in effect, it turns out that canceling "Healthcare is a human right" is an unpalatable thing.

My immediate thoughts as well. It's only politically risk insofar as Fox News and the rest of the gang wants to make it sound. It is INCREDIBLY beneficial politically for Republican MOCs to know that they need only concern themselves with how things are interpreted through the lens of Fox News et al... it's the sole place the vast majority of their base consumes their news.

It's also incredibly toxic for our democracy and ability to rationally discuss things as a nation.

They aren't putting much of anything on the line. Their mouthpieces will blame it all on the Democrats and their sheep will believe it. Then if we do get a Democrat president and congress anyway sometime down the road and things get turned around, the GOP will convince their sheep to be mad that things didn't get turned around well enough or fast enough. Look no further than Obama's "worst economic recovery in history" nonsense that was spouted without mentioning he had the 2nd worst recession in history.

No, I'm not saying the Democrats always fix the GOP's mistakes, but the GOP convinced their base to hate a guy like Obama. Imagine if we actually had a bad president? Oh wait, we do now, but he's not a Democrat. So everything is great.

Anyhow, even if it did manage to unseat some of them, I'm sure they will have gotten paid off enough for it to have been worth it for them.

• Fire 1