Dems Rebuild

When I feel the world turning upside down and outrage over the actions of our Republican President and Congress,, I want to be able to point to the wise and passionate Democrats who clearly articulate the other side of the issue, using the preponderance of evidence in their favor, and who take action accordingly. 

But I can't do that. Near as I can tell, the Democrats are too busy packaging the outrage and turning it into fundraising. It's like trolling for likes on Facebook.

Pelosi, Feinstein, the DNC and The Clintons don't speak for me, and I think we need a new wave of voters and candidates who feel in no way beholden to them. 

• Plus1 4

What are the issues for which "the other side", your side, is not being articulated?

Fundraising is organizing. Movement isn't possible without organization. And grassroots fundraising, I would have thought, is preferable to simply sparing the effort and taking from the Koch brothers.

• Plus1 1
26 minutes ago, zoogs said:

What are the issues for which "the other side", your side, is not being articulated?

Fundraising is organizing. Movement isn't possible without organization. And grassroots fundraising, I would have thought, is preferable to simply sparing the effort and taking from the Koch brothers.

Do you think Pelosi, Feinstein, or The Clintons are grassroots in any way? The DNC might be changing to be more grassroots, but we'll see.

2 hours ago, zoogs said:

Oh there's some grassroots organizing going on, and grassroots media influencers spelling out the specific and egregious deceptions in the Tax Bill, and grassroots Democrat candidates stepping up on local and state levels. 

And they're doing a vastly better job than national party leadership. 

If you're a Pelosi, or Feinstein or Shumer or Clinton, you've been around the money and machinery too long to relate to the grassroots folk you purport to champion. 

And seriously, the passion, energy and creativity the Democrat machinery puts into fundraising is in no way matched by their approach to actual governance. 

New blood. That's all I'm saying.  

• Plus1 1

16 minutes ago, zoogs said:

I feel like articulation of the other side of the issue is really, really not a problem.

I think Republicans and conservatives have been winning the messaging battle since Obama took office in 2009.

They created simple, memorable bromides and complete lies, and Democrats scoffed because they had truth on their side.

But Dems woefully misread the appetite for simple, memorable bromides, and suffered from the smug self-righteousness that came with it.

If you want to know how a policy wonk can sound like a real person who understands the daily s#!t most Americans go through, study how Bernie Sanders busted out in the primaries.

Edited by Guy Chamberlin

A competing idea I have for "the Democrats need catchy bromides and should be blamed by the discerning public for not having them" is "the public should be blamed for failing to discern good policy from extremely malicious policy". And to elevate our own level of policy literacy.