Big10 Race and a little CFP tidbit.

Here's my opinion - I think the four team playoff should serve only to ensure that the two best teams get a chance to play for the title. It's pretty unusual for the team that's probably the second best to wind up in the fourth spot in the polls.

I'd contend that Penn State being one of those teams seems like a huge stretch.

**Edited for terrible sentence structure, lol

Penn State is not as good of a team as Ohio State is. You can see that in the whole of the season that has been played so far.

The committee exists to put the four best teams into the playoff. Penn State's fluke of a win over Ohio State, combined with Penn State then beating us or Wisconsin in Indy shouldn't put them in the same league as Alabama, et al. That's crazy talk. They're not that good.

And because they're not that good, they don't deserve it, despite whatever they do in Indy.

Then get rid of the conferences, get rid of conference title games; hell, might as well not even play the games. Just let the selection committee pick the "best" 4 teams.

Speaking to the CFP part, it's pretty impressive that four of the eight teams listed are from the B1G

I don't understand all of the Louisville love, at least compared to the other top teams. A couple of pretty close calls against also-rans and a close loss to Clemson. Should this warrant 2 ACC teams in the playoff? Is the ACC that good? I don't see it. If OSU and UL win out without conference championships, don't think UL ends up ahead of OSU.

Speaking to the CFP part, it's pretty impressive that four of the eight teams listed are from the B1G

I don't understand all of the Louisville love, at least compared to the other top teams. A couple of pretty close calls against also-rans and a close loss to Clemson. Should this warrant 2 ACC teams in the playoff? Is the ACC that good? I don't see it. If OSU and UL win out without conference championships, don't think UL ends up ahead of OSU.

No, it isn't. People are enamored with Lamar Jackson, and they are equating it with Louisville being a top 4 team (which they aren't).

Then get rid of the conferences, get rid of conference title games; hell, might as well not even play the games. Just let the selection committee pick the "best" 4 teams.

C dawgy dawg, I did say way up in the thread that if Penn State were to demolish Wisconsin in Indy they could make a case for the playoff.

Situationally speaking to this season, I don't see Penn State laying claim to being one of the four best teams this season unless they just demolished their opponent in Indy.

So until you go with the 'Conference champs only' policy, I think I've explained my position on what I think the role of the committee should be/is currently.

The committee just CANNOT put OSU in and leave PSU out though without risk of setting a precedent of making the regular season and conference championships irrelevant.

It's one of those things that even though the subjective point is the better way to go, the objective can't be ignored because of the process.

If Wisconsin wins the title, then OSU has a better argument because they beat Wisconsin head to head. Ohio State NEEDED Michigan to win out till their game in Columbus.

You think they CANNOT do something, that they will in fact do, if OSU and PSU win out, IMO.

Odds are we don't get to witness it though since OSU must beat Mich and MichSt and PSU needs to beat MichSt and Wisky (.5*.8*.8*.4=13%)

C dawgy dawg, I did say way up in the thread that if Penn State were to demolish Wisconsin in Indy they could make a case for the playoff.

Situationally speaking to this season, I don't see Penn State laying claim to being one of the four best teams this season unless they just demolished their opponent in Indy.

So until you go with the 'Conference champs only' policy, I think I've explained my position on what I think the role of the committee should be/is currently.

I don't necessarily disagree; I just have an issue with putting teams in the playoff that don't even win their division. Ohio State may have the most talent this side of Alabama, but how does it not completely invalidate the results on the field if PSU wins the Big Ten at 11-2, having beat both Wisky and OSU, and not get into the playoff?

The committee just CANNOT put OSU in and leave PSU out though without risk of setting a precedent of making the regular season and conference championships irrelevant.

It's one of those things that even though the subjective point is the better way to go, the objective can't be ignored because of the process.

If Wisconsin wins the title, then OSU has a better argument because they beat Wisconsin head to head. Ohio State NEEDED Michigan to win out till their game in Columbus.

You think they CANNOT do something, that they will in fact do, if OSU and PSU win out, IMO.

Odds are we don't get to witness it though since OSU must beat Mich and MichSt and PSU needs to beat MichSt and Wisky (.5*.8*.8*.4=13%)

Do those numbers include the fact that Michigan's QB is done for the season?

Hopefully OSU doesn't drop the ball against MSU.

We shall see what the committee does. Thankfully they can take the whole season into context unlike the last system.

I don't necessarily disagree; I just have an issue with putting teams in the playoff that don't even win their division. Ohio State may have the most talent this side of Alabama, but how does it not completely invalidate the results on the field if PSU wins the Big Ten at 11-2, having beat both Wisky and OSU, and not get into the playoff?

C-Dog, while you and I differ on this opinion, you do bring up a valid argument. It does create very muddy waters. However, the committee's task is to choose the 4 best teams in the country. I don't think there are any other imposed guidelines. If Ohio State were to finish 11-1 and Penn State were to finish 11-2, and having seen both of the teams this season, I would say that Ohio State is a better team than Penn State.

• Fire 1

If Ohio State were to finish 11-1 and Penn State were to finish 11-2, and having seen both of the teams this season, I would say that Ohio State is a better team than Penn State.

And like I said Husk, I think it's all situational to this season. It's not to say that it's a hard and fast rule to follow *every* year.

That's in large part why I think that if Penn State blows out Wisconsin in Indy, it could be pretty logical to say that they would then at that point be one of the best four teams in the country.

If they win on a last second field goal 17-16, I think I'm saying that Ohio State is a better representative in the playoff.

If Ohio State were to finish 11-1 and Penn State were to finish 11-2, and having seen both of the teams this season, I would say that Ohio State is a better team than Penn State.

And like I said Husk, I think it's all situational to this season. It's not to say that it's a hard and fast rule to follow *every* year.

That's in large part why I think that if Penn State blows out Wisconsin in Indy, it could be pretty logical to say that they would then at that point be one of the best four teams in the country.

If they win on a last second field goal 17-16, I think I'm saying that Ohio State is a better representative in the playoff.

I think people are getting too caught up in having only one representative per conference. It shouldn't be an either/or thing for Ohio State and Penn State.

Based on all of the games played so far this season, I would have Ohio State as the 2nd best team in the country. If they were to beat Michigan State and Michigan, my opinion wouldn't change, no matter what Penn State does.

Penn State's main competition for the playoff is going to be Washington, Clemson, Louisville, and Wisconsin (although they will have an opportunity to knock out Wisconsin).

• Fire 2

It's a great point you make.

I think it's possible that for me in the back of my mind, a part of the fun of college football is this very drama. This is a really fun season. It's even more fun when our team isn't completely sucking.

I agree 100%; part of the fun is the discussion (it's also why I don't really want to see them go to an 8 team playoff, even though that would probably be the fairest way to do it).

C-Dog, while you and I differ on this opinion, you do bring up a valid argument. It does create very muddy waters. However, the committee's task is to choose the 4 best teams in the country. I don't think there are any other imposed guidelines. If Ohio State were to finish 11-1 and Penn State were to finish 11-2, and having seen both of the teams this season, I would say that Ohio State is a better team than Penn State.

Overall, I would agree with you; Ohio State is the better team, and 9 out of 10 times, they would probably win. Sometimes I'm too objective for my own good.