2017 Offense

We are losing a lot of valuable players this year, but with the direction of the new offense it will for sure be interesting. I like a lot of the young talent on this team, even the players who haven't seen the field yet. Langs will need to get this unit up to speed quickly

QB - Armstrong & Fyfe. It will be the first career start at Nebraska for whoever wins the job

• Lee, O'Brien
RB - Newby
  • Ozigbo, Bryant, Wilbon
WR - Westerkamp, Moore, Reilly
  • Morgan, Pierson-El, Spielman
TE - Carter, Cotton, Foster. It will be a first career start at TE next year
  • Hoppes, Snyder, Engelhaupt
OL - Utter - This is the one bright spots for next year. I think with Gates, Farmer, Foster we are in great shape. Lots of solid young talent will push for PT in 17'

Yeah, now that I see the list it does seem like we're losing a lot. But, like you say, we have a lot of depth to replace these guys. I'm a little worried about QB, but that's just because POB doesn't have any real game experience. OTOH, Tanner Lee has a ton of experience. Not sure about TE. I just don't know that much about our backups. Oh, and don't forget Bryan Reimers at WR. He's been a bright spot the few times we've thrown to him.

• Fire 1

I don't care what we run. If it puts W's on the schedule regularly and allows us to complete at the highest level, run whatever is needed to get it done. I do think HCMR has seen how valuable having a moble QB helps here in the B1G, but he knows what he is after.

Next year will be interesting, but let us stay focused on this year. We have 2 possibly 3 games left, and I would love to notch a few more wins on our belt before we all become bord waiting for next season.

• Fire 1

I don't care what we run. If it puts W's on the schedule regularly and allows us to complete at the highest level, run whatever is needed to get it done. I do think HCMR has seen how valuable having a moble QB helps here in the B1G, but he knows what he is after.

Next year will be interesting, but let us stay focused on this year. We have 2 possibly 3 games left, and I would love to notch a few more wins on our belt before we all become bord waiting for next season.

I'm able to carry on two conversations at once.

If NU tries to run the Maryland gameplan with a first year QB next year, NU will be lucky to finish above .500.

So, you'd like to run the "Tommy Armstrong Offense" with O'Brien, Lee, or Gebbia?

With those options at QB, I'd like to see an average of 20 passes a game - take the game out of the QBs hands, as much as possible. Win "ugly" if you have to. We have a very weak schedule again next year. Take advantage of that to pound opponents into the ground and work play action off that.

I know we are losing the dynamism of a mobile QB, and that's unfortunate.

And as a follow-up and just as a mental exercise for you, what do you make of Harbaugh's success (who uses an offense that looks very much like our offense against Maryland)?

With great talent, any scheme works. If running Riley's offense (which technically hasn't even been defined yet) brings in the most talent, then that's what I want.

I think a more expanded version of what we saw this past week with Tanner Lee at the helm could be very potent especially if we can sign a guy who can play right away at WR like Lewis. If not we still have some weapons at WR and still we will have some talented backs. If Lee can provide above average QB play, it could really make things work well with an improving line in 2017.

And as a follow-up and just as a mental exercise for you, what do you make of Harbaugh's success (who uses an offense that looks very much like our offense against Maryland)?

With great talent, any scheme works. If running Riley's offense (which technically hasn't even been defined yet) brings in the most talent, then that's what I want.

Harbaugh brings a lot of things to the table as a coach. A dynamic offensive mind is not one of them. I'm not overly impressed by Michigan's offense. They've built their numbers against some horrendous defenses.

That said, they've run it quite a lot more than they've thrown it this year (63/37 split). More of their yards have come on the ground than through the air, and 39 of their TDs are on the ground, versus only 17 through the air. Their starting QB is averaging 23 attempts a game.

Compare that to the Maryland game plan where Fyfe attempted to throw it 40+ passes (three sacks in addition to his 37 attempts).

Compare that to 40 carries by non-QB carriers.

Those are not similar approaches to offense.

The offenses aren't at all similar.

• Fire 1

Actually, there's a lot more creativity to what Michigan does offensively than say Ohio St. Michigan is more comparable to Wisconsin in doing a lot of different little things from blocking schemes and misdirections. Ohio St is more comparable to what we've been most the year. Line up and go about it that our guys are better than your guys. You dont have to be in shotgun and pistol and runnin all the fancy zones and read options and spreadin receivers across the field to be a dyanamic mind. And just cuz you like 22 personnel or like to get in the I and move receivers and TE's around presnapt doesnt mean youre not a dynamic mind.

I think a more expanded version of what we saw this past week with Tanner Lee at the helm could be very potent especially if we can sign a guy who can play right away at WR like Lewis. If not we still have some weapons at WR and still we will have some talented backs. If Lee can provide above average QB play, it could really make things work well with an improving line in 2017.

McQuitty plays next year...think he is another Morgan imo.

If NU tries to run the Maryland gameplan with a first year QB next year, NU will be lucky to finish above .500.

So, you'd like to run the "Tommy Armstrong Offense" with O'Brien, Lee, or Gebbia?

Not saying any will be the next Deshaun Watson, but he has run just enough to keep D's honest and be counted for. IIRC, he was over 1000 yards last year and under 500 this year..... POB, at least in HS, ran for a pretty fair amount. Lee and Gebbia not so much. Perhaps some designed runs to at least make the D respect the threat, but predicated on more swing passes, quick hits etc..... A healthy OL with depth would do wonders to a run game that could actually incorporate counters and traps to punish D's for loading the box and over penetrating......

cm husker - I won't argue with you that the run/pass ratio for Michigan and what we saw with Ryker on Saturday are not apples to apples. That's a fair point to make.

But this comment:

Building an offense around what will supposedly draw talent from California and Florida is wholly wrongheaded.

is pretty confusing. Maybe you're saying that "it's a really low-odds approach, therefore I don't think we should try it." But the point is, if Riley were to keep bringing in these 4 star quarterbacks, 4 star running backs, and finds ways to get 4 star receivers, no matter what we run has good potential.

I can't understand how a Husker fan wouldn't prioritize recruiting as the number one priority at this point. We tried going with a sub par recruiter that would use a zone read/power run offense, and it yielded zero conference titles. I just can't understand the push back against trying something different now (aside from just doing what we've always done for nostalgia's sake, which I believe to be your primary thing, even if you're doing it subconsciously...and there's nothing wrong with that).

• Fire 1