Two years in....no growth

It's frustrating to watch the same mistakes and horrible playcalling. It feels like callahan...just waiting for it to be over so we can try again some day. I know the comparison sounds rash but Nebraska should be in that conference title game more often than not.

I mean wisky and Iowa are the only threats right now for the division...and they aren't scary good teams...but what good teams do to us, is play consistent and let us implode.

Shanking punts, giving up big returns, fielding punts inside the 10 regularly...that's just special teams crap!

Why would we really expect any difference when one looks at the totality of his career and staff.........We hired a .504 coach and staff and expected more. Much more. I think there are several things to consider:

1) I really think Riley was simply hired for PR for the University. The anti Bo. A friendly Mr Rogers who would heal the fan base, alumni and media... The potential to win? Sure. The expectation? No

2) Riley came with high marks and reputation. Riley. Just Riley. I don't remember a lot of "his guys" coming with the same praise i.e. Langs, Banker and Hughes.....In fact, lowly OSU, wanted Banker fired.....a team that had really accomplished nothing....

The demise of Riley will be what doomed Solich (Bohl), Cally (Cosgrove), Bo (Paps, Beck).... His buddies....

As far as hiring a new coach, Jimbo just balked at LSU's offer of 6.8 million/year...... We'd have to still pay Bo and then Riley. If I was SE, I'd call Riley in and let who know who would be gone next year. Fo fiddly for sure. Banker and Langs would be told what the specific expectations were to keep employed past 2017.....

This is what we have. Instead of dropping one to a FCS school like OSU, we get boat raced by OSU or Iowa.....

I don't think that Riley should be fired at this point for a number of reasons, but if he fires three coordinators, then no way in hell should he be the guy making the next hires.

Typo. I wouldn't fire him. I'd let him know who he would no longer have with him next year...

I was a little uneasy at the beginning of the season with all the skeptics doubting Nebraska's greatness. After our loss to Wisconsin I started to believe them.

I am fully convinced we have a tremendous amount of soul searching to do. Almost all 9 of our wins this season were barely won. We have talent but we have a severe deficiency in execution and consistency; I put quite a bit of that on coaching.

We are more of a bad football team than is Iowa a good football team.

This is just outright unacceptable.

You forgot to mention a lack of depth especially on the lines. The OL needs a huge talent upgrade as you see what walk on talent get you. The DL needs some depth with some guys who can put pressure on the QB without blitzing. That will make the rest of the defense look a lot better.

I agree with this..

But not sure about talent - maybe more coaching.

Just like on the offense it isn't fair to judge these guys yet until they have the guys that they recruited playing for them. The problem for a lot of people is that they want instant gratification on top of they are venting all of their frustration for the continued failure of being relevant since Tom retired on whoever is coaching the program now. It isn't this staffs fault for what happened before last year. I get it, it sucks being irrelevant like we have been since 2001. I don't like it any more than anyone else does on here. But you have to be realistic with the plan and progress. What happened today was mind boggling and inexcusable and it sucks losing to a team like Iowa who is the equivalent of KSU in the Big 12. But it isn't time to overreact although that seems to be what the internet is for and try ignorantly start calling for a new coaching staff after two years when they don't even have their own players yet.

Hopefully we win our bowl game, break the 4 loss streak and finish off the recruiting class on a high note.

To be fair the other guy lost 1 or 2 games a year to teams he had no buisness losing to. At least we made some improvements there.

Like Purdue, Illinois, Iowa (x2), Northwestern, etc...
Like I said, this year... If we're honest, he actually did something our ex never managed to do in a season; Not lose to a team he was favored over.

Disclaimer for some out there: that doesn't mean we don't need some serious changes...

It's frustrating to watch the same mistakes and horrible playcalling. It feels like callahan...just waiting for it to be over so we can try again some day. I know the comparison sounds rash but Nebraska should be in that conference title game more often than not.

I mean wisky and Iowa are the only threats right now for the division...and they aren't scary good teams...but what good teams do to us, is play consistent and let us implode.

Shanking punts, giving up big returns, fielding punts inside the 10 regularly...that's just special teams crap!

And that my friend is the culture that Bo left us that needs to be changed which some feel is an excuse when it is far from it.

• Fire 1

I was a little uneasy at the beginning of the season with all the skeptics doubting Nebraska's greatness. After our loss to Wisconsin I started to believe them.

I am fully convinced we have a tremendous amount of soul searching to do. Almost all 9 of our wins this season were barely won. We have talent but we have a severe deficiency in execution and consistency; I put quite a bit of that on coaching.

You forgot to mention a lack of depth especially on the lines. The OL needs a huge talent upgrade as you see what walk on talent get you. The DL needs some depth with some guys who can put pressure on the QB without blitzing. That will make the rest of the defense look a lot better.

Pure bullsh#t unfounded in reality.

If people want to argue that Riley is updating the talent because of what the recruitniks say, then you can't argue that NU doesn't have enough talent when all of the recruitniks say NU was the most talented team in the West.

#quittheplayerblaming

#.500isstill.500

LMAO....to believe that players never make mistakes, miss assignments or don't follow the play that is called is beyond asinine.

And that my friend is the culture that Bo left us that needs to be changed which some feel is an excuse when it is far from it.

Your "culture" boogeyman is as much to blame as walking under a ladder or crossing paths with a black cat.

It's made up.

• Fire 3

To be fair the other guy lost 1 or 2 games a year to teams he had no buisness losing to. At least we made some improvements there.

Like I said, this year... If we're honest, he actually did something our ex never managed to do in a season; Not lose to a team he was favored over.

Disclaimer for some out there: that doesn't mean we don't need some serious changes...

Lol, that's because the schedule was hot garbage. It's like being the skinniest kid at fat camp. Yay....

• Fire 2

If people want to argue that Riley is updating the talent because of what the recruitniks say, then you can't argue that NU doesn't have enough talent when all of the recruitniks say NU was the most talented team in the West.

#quittheplayerblaming

#.500isstill.500

LMAO....to believe that players never make mistakes, miss assignments or don't follow the play that is called is beyond asinine.

That's not what he said. But nice strawman deflection.

#quittheplayerblaming

#.500isstill.500

That's not what he said. But nice strawman deflection.

Apparently you didn't read the "quit player blaming" and that is his constant argument that it is NEVER the players fault for anything. A very good example is blaming Langs for TA's poor decisions on where to throw the ball. It isn't Langs fault that TA is too stubborn to throw it to a short route that is open and only wants to throw the ball 20-40 yards downfield.

Your "culture" boogeyman is as much to blame as walking under a ladder or crossing paths with a black cat.

It's made up.

You have obviously never played any sport or been part of a team locker room and you are showing your ignorance on the subject.

We are 2 years into the Riley era and are right back where we were with Pelini...piling up wins against lesser teams and losing 3 or 4 against the teams we need to beat to get to the next level. On top of that we have looked clueless in 2 of our 3 losses just as we did with Pelini. When Minnesota is your best win of the season, you know the Husker program is no longer relevant.

don't want to nitpick, however what year did BO only lose 3 games?

Lol, that's because the schedule was hot garbage. It's like being the skinniest kid at fat camp. Yay....
Like they were any better the last 4 or 5 years?