Two years in....no growth

I see MR recruiting his butt off unlike Bo, who left the cupboard pretty bare. The depth is just not there like with other teams. Its not MR fault.\

The recruiting rankings say otherwise.

Are we top ten? No way.

But "bare?"

We've out recruited our division by a fair margin over the last few years (aka, talent on the roster) and the team that beat us today by 30 friggin spots.

So let's stop moving the goalposts.

You can live in fairy world if you want and feel Bo left the cupboards stocked. He did not. This is one of the reasons why the team struggles. He didn't master the number game and had to many that did not pan out. Feel free to put the goal posts in their proper place.

• Fire 2

I see MR recruiting his butt off unlike Bo, who left the cupboard pretty bare. The depth is just not there like with other teams. Its not MR fault.\

Are we top ten? No way.

But "bare?"

We've out recruited our division by a fair margin over the last few years (aka, talent on the roster) and the team that beat us today by 30 friggin spots.

You can live in fairy world if you want and feel Bo left the cupboards stocked. He did not. This is one of the reasons why the team struggles. He didn't master the number game and had to many that did not pan out. Feel free to put the goal posts in their proper place.

I'm hearing that all these great recruits didn't "pan out," like its a valid excuse. Why is it that we appear to be the only team with recruits that consistantly do not pan out and that we are always so overly devasted by injuries. Year in and year out I hear these two excuses over and over like other teams don't lose talent or get hurt. Is it possible that these great recuits were never really that great at all? Or are they the wrong recruits in terms of character or other personality differences? Be honest, not every kid's going to love Lincoln. I feel like with our lack of national success, we've become a bottom feeder in our ability to recruit talent and that forces us to take good athletes that top tier teams may pass on for various reasons. It's like we're trying to force round pegs into square holes and then we're left bare when these kids bolt. Regarding injuries, we need more lineman, even just average ones. We need truck loads full of lineman. If you can't protect your QB and your running back, how can they stay relatively healthy? Need to fix this fast by taking fair amount of juco's.

• Fire 3

Are we top ten? No way.

But "bare?"

I'm hearing that all these great recruits didn't "pan out," like its a valid excuse. Why is it that we appear to be the only team with recruits that consistantly do not pan out and that we are always so overly devasted by injuries.

It's not a valid excuse if the coach has had time to build his program through recruiting and development, but in year 2 it is a valid excuse. Pelini did miss on recruits and it's a major reason he couldn't do better than 9-4/10-4. It's the reason we aren't better now.

Plenty of programs have players that don't pan out. A lot of programs are scuffling right now and wish they were 9-3. Hopefully the Huskers get better in the coming years with Riley's recruiting and development.

• Fire 1

Bad coaching disguises good talent.

Far more than bad talent disguises good coaching.

Wake up.

I'd say good coaching disguised a 7-8 win team and got us 9 wins. Heck maybe 10 if they can get the right bowl matchup. Not to mention they are running an offense they have to run not one they want to run.

You never bothered to wonder why your lord and savior Bo Pelini couldn't do better than 9-4/10-4 in his 7 seasons? Lack of talent bc he didn't recruit enough of it. He put a ceiling on the program that can only be broken through with recruiting and development.

Whether Riley does that remains to be seen but I can hardly hold a 9 or 10 win season against him in year 2.

• Fire 2

time to fire another 9-3 coach? seems to be the prevailing attitude with Nebraska fans.

Yeah, that's the thing. You fire a coach, any coach, and it sets your program back a couple of years. At some point your need to pick a guy and stick with him. I think Riley gathered a pretty good staff around him. And recruiting seems to be going well. So there's that. :dunno:

Most programs can't fire their way to greatness. Heck, UTerus can't. Most programs' best bet is to get that up and Comer.

I'm not sure about this staff being great.

Read-terrible.

Langsdorf-bad.

Banker-bad.

Bray-good, even though his crew took a step back this year.

Stewart-I thought he was good, I'd give him a couple of years.

Davis-I hope he's good, but not sold on him.

Cav- not sold on him but with the injuries the past 2 years, I'll give him a year or two.

Parella-not sure but the DL seems to be trending upward slightly.

Williams-good coach, but should not be coaching here because of all of his DUIs. Plus, his crew seemed to take a step back this year.

For recruiting, so far it really isn't any better than the last staff. The top recruits we're getting are at the wrong positions, WR and pro style QBS. Everything else is no better than the last staff. Where would the rankings be if Key Sr. didn't play for Riley at USC? There would be no Calabraska pipeline.

• Fire 1

Wake up.

I'd say good coaching disguised a 7-8 win team and got us 9 wins. Heck maybe 10 if they can get the right bowl matchup. Not to mention they are running an offense they have to run not one they want to run.

You never bothered to wonder why your lord and savior Bo Pelini couldn't do better than 9-4/10-4 in his 7 seasons? Lack of talent bc he didn't recruit enough of it. He put a ceiling on the program that can only be broken through with recruiting and development.

Whether Riley does that remains to be seen but I can hardly hold a 9 or 10 win season against him in year 2.

This Nebraska team was more talented than anyone on this schedule, other than OSU and maybe Oregon. And we see what Oregon is.

Bo should send Bill Callahan a christmas card with money every year as a thank you for the players he inherited when Callahan was fired (wrongly) The 2009 Pelini team was his only good to great team and that team was made by Callahan. Pelini picked up a good recruit here and there-but he largely failed in the recruiting area.

Bo was hired to bring in some defense. His defense faded away after a few years. Never had enough play makers on his rosters. On both sides of the ball. He didn't bring in Suh. Those really good defenders he had early on were all Callahan recruits. He never did recruit anything better himself. Bo is a done deal. His classlessness was his legacy and will always be. Nebraska was a headline for all the wrong reasons when he was head man.

If you want Bo back, then you might as well go back to 2003 and bring back Solich. We can't undo the last 13 years of mediocrity. Pedersons so well thought out phrase!

My question is this: I always here we have the resources to hire anyone....anyone! Where the hell are they? Is the money fizzled out? Firing coaches after 9 win seasons scaring off big names? Was T.O's legacy merely his legacy, not Nebraska's? Was T.O the program? Florida St, Alabama, Oklahoma, Ohio St, Florida have all won titles with different head coaches since the 80's. Relevance. I forgot LSU won titles with two different coaches. What is the real issue? Money? Bad hires? Bad recruiting? Big 10? Nebraska being Nebraska? Other powers have moved on and won titles. What is the excuse.?!

Bo was hired to bring in some defense. His defense faded away after a few years. Never had enough play makers on his rosters. On both sides of the ball. He didn't bring in Suh. Those really good defenders he had early on were all Callahan recruits. He never did recruit anything better himself. Bo is a done deal.

Dennard, Gomes, LaVonte, Zaire, Gregory, VV, Collins were all his guys. But I agree, he's a done deal, not sure why he keeps getting brought up.

Wake up.

This Nebraska team was more talented than anyone on this schedule, other than OSU and maybe Oregon. And we see what Oregon is.

Well see how that plays out when the Big Ten season awards come out. I wonder if we'll get anybody in the first or second team.