Two years in....no growth

"They were kicking our ass... until we kicked theirs. "

Husker fans are the best at twisting.

Well, okay CM, let's take a look at this quarter by quarter then, and we'll see what's been twisted or not.

Prior to 8:45 to go in the 3rd quarter, it was 24-7 Iowa. They had 240 yards of offense, we had 96 yards offense. So please tell me how they weren't kicking our ass in that game until we came back. I'm all ears.

Point is, it's amusing how you twist a win into somehow being as bad as a 40-10 loss.

And wait a tick... I thought people always whine that the ex staff couldn't adjust and make comebacks?

Nowhere did I say that, thanks for twisting words.

I was just saying that Iowa has been doing pretty well against us lately, aND we shouldn't let a comeback win deter us from thinking that.

Bad coaching disguises good talent.

Far more than bad talent disguises good coaching.

Wake up.

I'd say good coaching disguised a 7-8 win team and got us 9 wins. Heck maybe 10 if they can get the right bowl matchup. Not to mention they are running an offense they have to run not one they want to run.

You never bothered to wonder why your lord and savior Bo Pelini couldn't do better than 9-4/10-4 in his 7 seasons? Lack of talent bc he didn't recruit enough of it. He put a ceiling on the program that can only be broken through with recruiting and development.

Whether Riley does that remains to be seen but I can hardly hold a 9 or 10 win season against him in year 2.

We won at least 9 every year under Bo. When MR was hired it was stated that there would be no regression to rebuild. Last year was worse than Callahan, and this year we had the easiest schedule in the history of college football, and did worse than any of Bo's seasons.

This statement is so incorrect that it's laughable. Road trips to Wisconsin, Ohio State, and Iowa is not an easy schedule.

Eh ... "history of college football" is an exaggeration but this was really the easiest schedule we can realistically expect to have.

Our "marquee" non-conference game turned out to be a dumpster fire team.

We only had to play one of the top three teams from the East - only ones that ended up over .500 in conference.

No team in the West ended up in the top 70 in the nation in total offense.

So it's unlikely to the point of impossibility that our schedule could be any easier. Yes, the home/away split was tougher. But the teams we had to play were not (save one).

time to fire another 9-3 coach? seems to be the prevailing attitude with Nebraska fans.

Yeah, that's the thing. You fire a coach, any coach, and it sets your program back a couple of years. At some point your need to pick a guy and stick with him. I think Riley gathered a pretty good staff around him. And recruiting seems to be going well. So there's that. :dunno:

Yep, not to mention he is still using a team full of Bo's players, it is hard to turn a culture around in two years without a team full of players that he recruited. So all of this doom and gloom is ridiculous at this point. With that said the only thing that is alarming on the season to me is the no show today by the defense. Our LB's have been overaggressive and bad for stretches this season especially MRI, but today it was like we didn't put any on the field.

Oh good, the "culture" excuse again.

Except...to ANYONE who was looking, there was a culture issue. Just because people don't want to see or acknowledge it doesn't mean that it didn't exist. Players AND coaches (including a former volleyball coach) have made comments regarding the culture and buy-in issues. The information is out there if you care to accept it.

I'll take a former coaches word on the culture issue before I accept anyone's opinion that has zero contact with the program.

This chart doesn't say much. The comment at the bottom is silly - since the year before (also coached by MR) was the best since 1999. If you take MR's average over the two years the numbers are basically identical to the average of the past two staffs. If we continue to see these numbers over the next 2 / 3 years then we will know that nothing has changed.

• Fire 1

This chart doesn't say much. The comment at the bottom is silly - since the year before (also coached by MR) was the best since 1999. If you take MR's average over the two years the numbers are basically identical to the average of the past two staffs. If we continue to see these numbers over the next 2 / 3 years then we will know that nothing has changed.

Yeah but his first year also had seven losses… So who really cares.

It's frustrating to watch the same mistakes and horrible playcalling. It feels like callahan...just waiting for it to be over so we can try again some day. I know the comparison sounds rash but Nebraska should be in that conference title game more often than not.

I mean wisky and Iowa are the only threats right now for the division...and they aren't scary good teams...but what good teams do to us, is play consistent and let us implode.

Shanking punts, giving up big returns, fielding punts inside the 10 regularly...that's just special teams crap!

And that my friend is the culture that Bo left us that needs to be changed which some feel is an excuse when it is far from it.

Your "culture" boogeyman is as much to blame as walking under a ladder or crossing paths with a black cat.

It's made up.

You have obviously never played any sport or been part of a team locker room and you are showing your ignorance on the subject.

Lmao... I've played plenty, and I coach.

Back off the personal stuff.

To the first part.... :facepalm:

LMAO, you stalk me and then threaten to ban me. Whatever continue with your agenda. Mods on here are too funny.

I didn't stalk you. I posted in here before you did, and when your opinion was challenged, you chose to go that route.

Just because you posted first doesn't negate the possibility of you stalking him...just saying...

• Fire 1

I see MR recruiting his butt off unlike Bo, who left the cupboard pretty bare. The depth is just not there like with other teams. Its not MR fault.\

The recruiting rankings say otherwise.

Are we top ten? No way.

But "bare?"

We've out recruited our division by a fair margin over the last few years (aka, talent on the roster) and the team that beat us today by 30 friggin spots.

So let's stop moving the goalposts.

Do recruiting rankings take into account guys who don't pan out? The last staff whiffed pretty badly on 2 consecutive classes of offensive linemen. I'd say the cupboard was pretty bare in terms of what you had on the table and what was left in the cupboard. The cupboard wasn't stocked very well.

"They were kicking our ass... until we kicked theirs. "

Husker fans are the best at twisting.

Well, okay CM, let's take a look at this quarter by quarter then, and we'll see what's been twisted or not.

Prior to 8:45 to go in the 3rd quarter, it was 24-7 Iowa. They had 240 yards of offense, we had 96 yards offense. So please tell me how they weren't kicking our ass in that game until we came back. I'm all ears.

Point is, it's amusing how you twist a win into somehow being as bad as a 40-10 loss.

And wait a tick... I thought people always whine that the ex staff couldn't adjust and make comebacks?

iirc that game was basically won by Pierson el

He's hosting 5-stars on a consistent basis. That alone is more than Bo

Hosting them is one thing, closing them and getting them to sign is another.

Agreed!

The first part of closing/signing is trying to recruit them in the first place. Part of that process in modern recruiting is getting them to visit. If I remember correctly, many of these 4 and 5 star kids are using an official visit to come here. They are choosing to use one of their official visits to come see our program and I see all of this as progress in recruiting, and yes, I understand that we still need to start landing some of those kids. And I look forward to it. :)

It says quite a bit actually. There's nothing silly about the comment - it's 100% factual. The only silly thing is the lengths you go to try to avoid anything bad being said about the current coaches.

Yes, last year's margin of loss was very close. It was also the most games games we've lost in almost 60 years. And against some of the worst teams we've lost to in 60 years. So if that's what it takes to keep the margin close, I think I'll pass.

• Fire 2

I am honestly tired of hearing people say that a coach needs a few years to turn things around and get his players in. That is complete bullsh#t and horse crap. Look at what harbaugh and Meyer did in their first years. Look at what Petersen did at Washington in ONE YEAR.

Meyer and Harbaugh inherited loaded rosters full of 4 and 5 star talent. OSU had an interim coach for one year but were rolling under Tressel before that. Even had the type of QB Meyer wanted waiting for him. They are both terrific coaches to be sure but Nebraska is not in the same place talent wise right now.

Petersen went 8-6 in year 1. 7-6 in year 2. Now he's got it going in year 3 so he didn't do it in one year.

In year 2, Petersen handed the reigns to a freshman QB, and is seeing the results of his strong play in year 3. Is Tanner Lee going to be able to be a difference maker with wholesale changes across all the skill positions on offense?

I don't know. That's certainly one of the big questions of the offseason. If he can make good reads and deliver an accurate ball he'll be a big upgrade over what we have now.

That and how much can the OL improve with an infusion of young talent? Those are a couple questions but we'll have to wait for the answers.

Interesting question and when I read it my first thought was...can they be any worse than Utter? That might seem harsh, but Utter has had some pretty bad games. We can only hope that the younger linemen being redshirted will be ready to step up when called on.

Bad coaching disguises good talent.

Far more than bad talent disguises good coaching.

Wake up.

I'd say good coaching disguised a 7-8 win team and got us 9 wins. Heck maybe 10 if they can get the right bowl matchup. Not to mention they are running an offense they have to run not one they want to run.

You never bothered to wonder why your lord and savior Bo Pelini couldn't do better than 9-4/10-4 in his 7 seasons? Lack of talent bc he didn't recruit enough of it. He put a ceiling on the program that can only be broken through with recruiting and development.

Whether Riley does that remains to be seen but I can hardly hold a 9 or 10 win season against him in year 2.

Hear, hear!