Two years in....no growth

we are still a Tier 2 team in the BIG......we lack athletes and coaching. we are better, but against competition we don't hold up.

I think we're pretty much the same team we've always been and that includes coaching which has been Nebraska's true weakness and reason why they've been stuck as a team that now suffers embarrassing blowouts every season and is either is unranked or barely ranked at years end every season like they have been for a long time now.

We got Oregon State's coaching staff. What in the hell did you expect?????? I was stunned when it went down and have still been stunned ever since that people actually were/(still are???) expecting to field a team that can compete on a semi regular basis for conference or national championships. None of this has been a surprise to me. Riley isn't the answer and never was and to put it simply it was actually shocking that he was even offered. It's just a good thing I don't get upset when we lose or get embarrassed anymore. Thankfully I stopped getting pissed early on in the Pelini era. I fell asleep during the Iowa game for chrissakes... It's kind of crazy when I think about it but hey that's where we are and have been now for a long, long time now.

Frost was the clear cut guy imo who was probably about as good of fit for a coach that Nebraska could have asked for and not surprisingly Eichorst whiffed and whiffed hard and instead hired Mike Riley after interviewing well...no one else... Now that window of opportunity may never present itself and once again Nebraska will probably hire another sub par coach for much less than programs like Michigan or Ohio State or name your top 10 team are willing to pay.

Things don't look good for the program if you're talking about catching up with the top teams in our conference. James Franklin has Penn St going to the Big 10 title game in just his 3rd year as coach even after taking over right after the Sandusky scandal/disaster and meanwhile we're getting curb stomped by Iowa. Nebraska needs to clean house and that starts with Sean Eichorst and start over if they ever want to have a chance imo because the brand can only get you so far and that's all we're living off of at this point.

we are still a Tier 2 team in the BIG......we lack athletes and coaching. we are better, but against competition we don't hold up.

I think we're pretty much the same team we've always been and that includes coaching which has been Nebraska's true weakness and reason why they've been stuck as a team that now suffers embarrassing blowouts every season and is either is unranked or barely ranked at years end every season and for a long time now.

We got Oregon State's coaching staff. What in the hell did you expect?????? I was stunned when it went down and have still been stunned ever since that people actually were/(still are???) expecting to field a team that can compete on a semi regular basis for conference or national championships. None of this has been a surprise to me. Riley isn't the answer and never was and to put it simply it was actually shocking that he was even offered. It's just a good thing I don't get upset when we lose or get embarrassed anymore. Thankfully I stopped getting pissed early on in the Pelini era. I fell asleep during the Iowa game for chrissakes... It's kind of crazy when I think about it but hey that's where we are and have been now for a long, long time now.

Frost was the clear cut guy imo who was probably about as good of fit for a coach that Nebraska could have asked for and not surprisingly Eichorst whiffed and whiffed hard and instead hired Mike Riley. Now that window of opportunity may never present itself and once again Nebraska will probably hire another sub par coach for much less than programs like Michigan or Ohio State or name your top 10 team are willing to pay.

Things don't look good for the program if you're talking about catching up with the top teams in our conference. James Franklin has Penn St going to the Big 10 title game in just his 3rd year as coach and meanwhile we're getting curb stomped by Iowa. Nebraska needs to clean house and that starts with Sean Eichorst and start over if they ever want to have a chance imo because the brand can only get you so far and that's all we're living off of at this point.

if we did that right now you can guarantee we put the program in the gutter for 5 years. Riley may not be the guy, but let's give him some time to prove one way or the other. He still had a Bo roster this year, next year it will be more his team and 2018 will really be telling. It took nebraska over a decade to get to the top with one coach and then over a decade again with the next. How are we supposed to ever win anything if we don't give our coaches now even 3 years. No one is patient enough to get to the top. We want it nowas because Michigan and Ohio State can do it. But realistically our only shot of winning anything of consequence is giving one coach the time to do it. And I'm talking at least 10 years. It is a faster world now but you succeed by persistence and strong definite decisions, not by being wishy washy and starting over with something else when things dont go your way

I think we're pretty much the same team we've always been and that includes coaching which has been Nebraska's true weakness and reason why they've been stuck as a team that now suffers embarrassing blowouts every season and is either is unranked or barely ranked at years end every season and for a long time now.

Frost was the clear cut guy imo who was probably about as good of fit for a coach that Nebraska could have asked for and not surprisingly Eichorst whiffed and whiffed hard and instead hired Mike Riley. Now that window of opportunity may never present itself and once again Nebraska will probably hire another sub par coach for much less than programs like Michigan or Ohio State or name your top 10 team are willing to pay.

Things don't look good for the program if you're talking about catching up with the top teams in our conference. James Franklin has Penn St going to the Big 10 title game in just his 3rd year as coach and meanwhile we're getting curb stomped by Iowa. Nebraska needs to clean house and that starts with Sean Eichorst and start over if they ever want to have a chance imo because the brand can only get you so far and that's all we're living off of at this point.

if we did that right now you can guarantee we put the program in the gutter for 5 years. Riley may not be the guy, but let's give him some time to prove one way or the other. He still had a Bo roster this year, next year it will be more his team and 2018 will really be telling. It took nebraska over a decade to get to the top with one coach and then over a decade again with the next. How are we supposed to ever win anything if we don't give our coaches now even 3 years. No one is patient enough to get to the top. We want it nowas because Michigan and Ohio State can do it. But realistically our only shot of winning anything of consequence is giving one coach the time to do it. And I'm talking at least 10 years. It is a faster world now but you succeed by persistence and strong definite decisions, not by being wishy washy and starting over with something else when things dont go your way

Yeah no.

Yeah no.

Well in that case say goodbye to all of our national titles if this was our philosophy back in the day

We would not be the program we are today if we didn't give Devaney and TO over 10 years to get it right.

Yeah no.

Well in that case say goodbye to all of our national titles if this was our philosophy back in the day

We would not be the program we are today if we didn't give Devaney and TO over 10 years to get it right.

O.k...

Guys its ok... one more year if it doesn't get better. Then Scott Frost will be our coach. No Big Ten title next year for MR... Scott continues his turnaround at UCF (gets them to 9 wins)... Boom. We have a guy who will come here and do what needs to be done.

Don't take that the wrong way though... I would love this current staff to get us a Big 10 championship and more. I'm just saying that if it doesnt... then good ol Frost is coming home.

What I'm saying is people want to bring the ax down so quickly, and that isn't how you win in football or in life. Definite decisions that you stick with and a clear plan followed with persistence until the goal is reached is the formula. People need to give Riley some time here. I'm not saying he is the answer but even firing him after 2018-2019 would be short sighted imo. Unless results are disastrous I think we should keep him around until after the '21-'22 season and be targeting a replacement candidate a year in advance.

Also CM, as for where do we go from Riley whenever we decide to do that, the landscape should hopefully be different and there will be good candidates available.

my concern has always been: where do we go from Riley.

There really is no clear path should he be fired after 2018 or retire after 2020.

Nebraska is in a pinch.

Agreed that we'd be in a big pinch. We would either spend record funds to get the "Big Name," or probably go permanently bust.

For me though I personally think that Riley has a higher ceiling than Bo ever had because:

1. He's already shown himself to attract a higher level of talent to at least come and check out the program.

2. He's willing to fire coaches that aren't doing their job.

I'm willing to give Riley at least two more seasons because really what this program needs to do is to win a conference title first. So bad. Beat Wisconsin and Iowa next season. Get to Indy with an offense that doesn't completely hinge around one player (who likes to bomb the ball down field instead of making reads). See what happens.

I think the concept of 'two years in, no growth' stems largely from our fan base not really being sympathetic to the difficulties of playing transition football between staff changes. Which is kind of strange, because this is now the third time we've done it in roughly 12 years.

-On offense next season, we'll judge whether or not there's growth by the amount of errors that are reduced at the QB position and whether or not our line plays better.

-On defense next year, we'll judge whether or not there's growth by the amount of points we give up in big games and on the road.

If we get to Indy next year, I guarantee that'll be objective, marked growth. Haven't been there since 2012. If we lose to both Wisconsin and Iowa and there's not improvement in the above two points, Riley should rightly be on the hot seat. But I for one am really excited to be done with the "athlete QB" paradigm, and also in Tre Bryant. On defense, I'm excited about more athletic youngsters seeing the field.

I'm not so sure Frost would take the job.

If he turns UCF around, he'll have better options open up.

I think we missed our chance with him.

As with other coaching jobs, I would guess it will be very situational. If Harbaugh and Meyer are still running roughshod over the B1G, I doubt Frost comes here. If they've both moved on, I think he comes here. It's a lot like the breaking news that flashed on the television the other night that claimed Herman was going to LSU. I looked at my wife and asked why in the heck would he do that? Unless Saban retires, there's no chance I'd take the LSU job over Texas. Herman made the right choice in taking the Texas job.

I think the concept of 'two years in, no growth' stems largely from our fan base not really being sympathetic to the difficulties of playing transition football between staff changes. Which is kind of strange, because this is now the third time we've done it in roughly 12 years.

-On offense next season, we'll judge whether or not there's growth by the amount of errors that are reduced at the QB position and whether or not our line plays better.

-On defense next year, we'll judge whether or not there's growth by the amount of points we give up in big games and on the road.

If we get to Indy next year, I guarantee that'll be objective, marked growth. Haven't been there since 2012. If we lose to both Wisconsin and Iowa and there's not improvement in the above two points, Riley should rightly be on the hot seat. But I for one am really excited to be done with the "athlete QB" paradigm, and also in Tre Bryant. On defense, I'm excited about more athletic youngsters seeing the field.

The transition year is a mostly made-up concept that people like to use as an excuse without much basis in facts/evidence to support it.

Those who want to hold to the transition excuse will find another convenient transition next year is having a new QB, especially if it's POB.

• Fire 1

Mike Riley should not have been hired in the first place. We should have gone for a big name or, not to bring up a sore subject around here, Scott Frost. But at this point we can't fire Riley.

We are stuck.

Sadly, I agree. They wanted the anti-Bo, and they got him. I like Riley, but I also realize that he's not going to lead us back to glory. Nothing about this staff has given me any reason to think that championships are in the near future.

In regards to Frost, I just hope that this is his dream job and that his passion is to right the ship.

• Fire 4