Two years in....no growth

I think four seasons would be an accurate sample size to determine where the program is trending.

But if we could spend top dollar to lure the top coaching candidates, maybe we could have landed Tom Herman. Whose Houston team just sh#t the bed against unranked Memphis on the way to its own 9 - 3 season.

Or maybe we could have gotten Louisville's Bobby Petrino, who along with the services of the nation's most exciting dual threat Heisman Trophy caliber quarterback, lost to unranked SEC after-thought Kentucky on the way to its own 9 - 3 season.

If Mike MacIntyre was on your list back in 2013, you have my respects. But I bet he wasn't.

There aren't a lot of no-brainers out there.

These instances are primarily coaches who took an underperforming program......Colorado for example.....and turned them around.

A 9-3 season is Riley's career long ceiling. And now the blowout losses in the games that matter........

With the coach that hurt some of our feelings two seasons in the rearview mirror, it's time to consider the checkbook if we are serious about competing in the B1G.

Actually two are instances of coaches who would have been considered splash hires, whose uptrending programs just turned in 9- 3 seasons with a disappointing fade at the end.

Mike MacIntyre would have been a big WTF if Nebraska had hired him out of San Jose State in 2013. And now that he's done a turnaround at CU, Nebraska wouldn't be an upgrade. Not sure the checkbook really matters.

And let's stop with the "Bo Pelini hurt people's feelings" schtick. No one's feelings were hurt. They just thought he was a bit of a prick, who didn't represent the university well. They were correct.

Yes, the checkbook matters. A lot.

Well you could throw a lot of money at the handful of coaches who have proven they're worth it, comprised mostly of guys who aren't available and can call their shots, in which case Lincoln Nebraska is at a disadvantage that money can't cure. Or you can throw somewhat less but still competitive money at the hot up and comer without the HC and/or Power 5 track record, making the calculated bet he will be worth the money in the coming years, but taking a risk that could piss off the fan base as well. And of courses the majority of coaches out there are lateral moves from both Pelini and Riley.

Last time we went through this exercise you wanted to get the checkbook out for Jerry Kill.

Remember that?

Good times.

Yes. Coach Kill came from the Dennis Franchione coaching tree which also includes Gary Patterson. Coach Kill's health issue is unfortunate. But the job he did during his tenure at Minny is impressive........good coach and good man.

If you're saying no competitive amount of money would bring a highly successful coach to Lincoln Nebraska, I would say I don't necessarily disagree. The resources available at Nebraska, while impressive, are significantly below the Michigan's and Ohio State's of the world. I realize those are two elite programs, but I thought that's where we wanted to be. But our checkbook and coaching search said otherwise.

• Fire 2

What coaching searches at programs similar to Nebraska that have worked out very well?

penn st. doesn't seem to have worked out too bad

Franklin went 7-6 and 7-6 and some people wanted him fired at 2-2 this season. So maybe we shouldn't fire Riley yet.

I agree time will tell, I personally don't think we will win a conf championship with Mike and really doubt we even play in it but we need to give him 4yrs. after that all bets are off

What coaching searches at programs similar to Nebraska that have worked out very well?

Franklin went 7-6 and 7-6 and some people wanted him fired at 2-2 this season. So maybe we shouldn't fire Riley yet.

Franklin's resume isn't lengthy yet, but what he has done in his brief head coaching career is impressive. He now already has more conference championships than Riley.......and he took over a situation that's unimaginably worse than what Riley took over at Nebraska.

• Fire 1

Except one of those guys took over a program that had just went through one of the biggest scandals in all of sports and took on the fallout and all that went with it. Big, big, big difference in terms of what they each walked into. He was successful at Vandy before that. The other, not so much.

• Fire 1

How can Penn St be compared to Nebraska when it comes to coaching searches. Penn St is way closer to recruiting hot beds then we are. Any coach in their right mind would look at that as part of their decision.

OK how about OU or Colorado I suppose they are too close to then, we have to get this apples to apples thing juuuust right

• Fire 1

How can Penn St be compared to Nebraska when it comes to coaching searches. Penn St is way closer to recruiting hot beds then we are. Any coach in their right mind would look at that as part of their decision.

Absolutely true. And their pocketbook is every bit as deep as ours.

That's why if we are serious about competing for championships, it has to be a marquee coach that recruits want to play for no matter what school he's at.

That's why if we are serious about competing for championships, it has to be a marquee coach that recruits want to play for no matter what school he's at.

here here!

here here!

How many marquee coaches are there? Maybe four? And by the time they're a marquee coach they're already making huge payday and enjoying life as a local legend. Does $10 million get them to Lincoln? Probably not. And the public rejection doesn't help the process.

We can certainly spend more for a coach, but we've got to be clever and take a little risk. i.e. identify and promote a H.C. when his reputation is on the rise but before he commands marquee money.

You generally think young in that regard, but the Riley hire had some logic, too. Riley was voted the second most underrated coach in the country by his peers in 2014, and enjoys an inside football reputation as they kind of coach that recruits, their high school coaches and their moms and dads want them to play for. It wasn't the money for Riley, it was the reputation, the resources and the pressure itself that brought him here. UNL isn't a stepping stone for him. That's not bad criteria.

We'll see how it works out. Just keep in mind that a lot of coaches we thought we wanted had seasons no better than Riley.

I asked this question one time and couldn't get a real answer.

If you were the top coaching prospect in the country and the following schools all were looking for coaches:

USC

Texas

Alabama

OSU

FSU

Florida

LSU

Nebraska

....and every single one of those schools offered you $10,000,000 per year....why would you choose Nebraska?

What would draw you here instead of one of the other schools?

• Fire 2

Also note what happened when he finally had the right fit at qb for his and his OC's comfort level.