Two years in....no growth

i wonder if anyone noticed that we looked like a much worse team after Tommy got knocked out at Ohio state? not saying we looked like a playoff team before that....but after his injury things turned much worse.

do you think it affected players such that they feel more or less gun shy now?

Seriously... People are irritating. What makes Frost the one to takes us to the promise land? Cause he played for us? Congrats... That doesn't mean crap. He still has to come here and win. Just because he has been here and under the microscope as a player doesn't mean he can or will succeed under it as a coach.

Let's stop making him the "chosen" one.

• Fire 2

Seriously... People are irritating. What makes Frost the one to takes us to the promise land? Cause he played for us? Congrats... That doesn't mean crap. He still has to come here and win. Just because he has been here and under the microscope as a player doesn't mean he can or will succeed under it as a coach.

Let's stop making him the "chosen" one.

There are good reasons for people to have hopes for him.

He moved up through the coaching ranks of one of the top football teams of the last several years.

The team he's now the head coach for won 6 games this year. They won 0 games last year.

And lastly, he might actually be interested in coaching here and understands our program and the culture here.

• Fire 1

What coaching searches at programs similar to Nebraska that have worked out very well?

Depends on what you consider "similar to Nebraska".

In the history of college football, we're a top 5 program. The past 15 years, we're a top 20 -30 program.

If we have the desire to head back toward that elite space, it will cost. A lot.

Ohio State - Michigan is a $15 million battle.

Bedlam is a $10 million battle.

What I consider similar to Nebraska are things like population base of the 500 mile radius, geography, weather, etc. History is nothing more than what it states: things that happened in the past. I'm interested in knowing where exactly there is an elite top 5 program that is significantly removed from a recruiting hotbed, is located in a state of low population, and isn't warm and sunny all winter long.

Here's my biggest fear if we open up the checkbook: we become Notre Dame. Kelly is making around 4 million a year. Through seven seasons, he's compiled a 58-29 record. The average wins is just over 8 while the average losses are just over 4. Notre Dame has hired and fired how many guys since their last NC? They've opened up their checkbook and have what to show for it?

Iowa probably has more in common with Nebraska than many would like to admit. Ferentz makes around 4 million a year. Ferentz has compiled a 135-91 record. For anyone keeping track, this means on average he loses just over 40% of his games. While some believe Ferentz isn't a good/great coach, I'm doubtful this is the case considering the amount of interest NFL teams have shown in the past. We're just one year removed from a season where Ferentz almost took his squad to the playoffs.

Off the field, we aren't embarrassing ourselves and recruiting well. On the field, the defense improved but the offense didn't live up to expectations (at best). I only thought the kids seemed lost against Iowa to some extent.

I don't know enough to really make a call as to where we're at but I notice regularly that it doesn't stop a lot of other folks. I appreciate reading and listening to those who do understand and can explain what we're lacking, where mistakes have been made, etc.

p.s. - I'm not judging Riley for not being Jim Harbaugh and that's about more than talent level, record... I don't expect a Riley team to ever have what could be called a smashmouth offense, for example.

p.p.s. - If you want to see how the last two regular seasons compare statistically, I did the math and shared it here: http://www.huskerboard.com/index.php?/topic/81533-college-football-rankings-updated-by-z-score-for-all-and-percentile-for-nebraska/

What coaching searches at programs similar to Nebraska that have worked out very well?

In the history of college football, we're a top 5 program. The past 15 years, we're a top 20 -30 program.

If we have the desire to head back toward that elite space, it will cost. A lot.

What I consider similar to Nebraska are things like population base of the 500 mile radius, geography, weather, etc. History is nothing more than what it states: things that happened in the past. I'm interested in knowing where exactly there is an elite top 5 program that is significantly removed from a recruiting hotbed, is located in a state of low population, and isn't warm and sunny all winter long.

Here's my biggest fear if we open up the checkbook: we become Notre Dame. Kelly is making around 4 million a year. Through seven seasons, he's compiled a 58-29 record. The average wins is just over 8 while the average losses are just over 4. Notre Dame has hired and fired how many guys since their last NC? They've opened up their checkbook and have what to show for it?

Iowa probably has more in common with Nebraska than many would like to admit. Ferentz makes around 4 million a year. Ferentz has compiled a 135-91 record. For anyone keeping track, this means on average he loses just over 40% of his games. While some believe Ferentz isn't a good/great coach, I'm doubtful this is the case considering the amount of interest NFL teams have shown in the past. We're just one year removed from a season where Ferentz almost took his squad to the playoffs.

Iowa is one year removed from almost making it to the playoffs. Ferentz was allowed time at Iowa to get to that point.

I guess the point of all of that was the fact that Iowa did open up their checkbook to keep Ferentz from leaping to the NFL. While Iowa does occasionally have their good runs, they've also lost over 40% of their games under Ferentz. Going forward, this seems like a similar path that we'll be going down. I don't think opening up the checkbook ultimately does anything for us. We can and hopefully will have a special season here or there, but being a top 10 team year in and year out seems out of the cards for us despite how much money we spend.

• Fire 1

Iowa is one year removed from almost making it to the playoffs. Ferentz was allowed time at Iowa to get to that point.
bingo. These things take time, more time than most are willing to wait. It took TO 23 years to get back to the very top of the mountain. If we want that kind of success again, we might have to keep a coach around 10 years.

I think four seasons would be an accurate sample size to determine where the program is trending.

But if we could spend top dollar to lure the top coaching candidates, maybe we could have landed Tom Herman. Whose Houston team just sh#t the bed against unranked Memphis on the way to its own 9 - 3 season.

Or maybe we could have gotten Louisville's Bobby Petrino, who along with the services of the nation's most exciting dual threat Heisman Trophy caliber quarterback, lost to unranked SEC after-thought Kentucky on the way to its own 9 - 3 season.

If Mike MacIntyre was on your list back in 2013, you have my respects. But I bet he wasn't.

There aren't a lot of no-brainers out there.

These instances are primarily coaches who took an underperforming program......Colorado for example.....and turned them around.

A 9-3 season is Riley's career long ceiling. And now the blowout losses in the games that matter........

With the coach that hurt some of our feelings two seasons in the rearview mirror, it's time to consider the checkbook if we are serious about competing in the B1G.

Actually two are instances of coaches who would have been considered splash hires, whose uptrending programs just turned in 9- 3 seasons with a disappointing fade at the end.

Mike MacIntyre would have been a big WTF if Nebraska had hired him out of San Jose State in 2013. And now that he's done a turnaround at CU, Nebraska wouldn't be an upgrade. Not sure the checkbook really matters.

And let's stop with the "Bo Pelini hurt people's feelings" schtick. No one's feelings were hurt. They just thought he was a bit of a prick, who didn't represent the university well. They were correct.

• Fire 1

I think four seasons would be an accurate sample size to determine where the program is trending.

But if we could spend top dollar to lure the top coaching candidates, maybe we could have landed Tom Herman. Whose Houston team just sh#t the bed against unranked Memphis on the way to its own 9 - 3 season.

Or maybe we could have gotten Louisville's Bobby Petrino, who along with the services of the nation's most exciting dual threat Heisman Trophy caliber quarterback, lost to unranked SEC after-thought Kentucky on the way to its own 9 - 3 season.

If Mike MacIntyre was on your list back in 2013, you have my respects. But I bet he wasn't.

These instances are primarily coaches who took an underperforming program......Colorado for example.....and turned them around.

A 9-3 season is Riley's career long ceiling. And now the blowout losses in the games that matter........

With the coach that hurt some of our feelings two seasons in the rearview mirror, it's time to consider the checkbook if we are serious about competing in the B1G.

Actually two are instances of coaches who would have been considered splash hires, whose uptrending programs just turned in 9- 3 seasons with a disappointing fade at the end.

Mike MacIntyre would have been a big WTF if Nebraska had hired him out of San Jose State in 2013. And now that he's done a turnaround at CU, Nebraska wouldn't be an upgrade. Not sure the checkbook really matters.

And let's stop with the "Bo Pelini hurt people's feelings" schtick. No one's feelings were hurt. They just thought he was a bit of a prick, who didn't represent the university well. They were correct.

Yes, the checkbook matters. A lot.

• Fire 1

Yes, the checkbook matters. A lot.

Well you could throw a lot of money at the handful of coaches who have proven they're worth it, comprised mostly of guys who aren't available and can call their shots, in which case Lincoln Nebraska is at a disadvantage that money can't cure. Or you can throw somewhat less but still competitive money at the hot up and comer without the HC and/or Power 5 track record, making the calculated bet he will be worth the money in the coming years, but taking a risk that could piss off the fan base as well. And of courses the majority of coaches out there are lateral moves from both Pelini and Riley.

Last time we went through this exercise you wanted to get the checkbook out for Jerry Kill.

Remember that?

Good times.