Two years in....no growth

Oregon fired their head coach and Frost is not on their short list.

I think he comes back one day soon. Frost is doing a good job in his first year, but they could only improve. I like the fact that he has had his team in all but two games this year. He will have inroads in recruiting Fla now and he already has them on the west coast.

I said I think Riley's team in 2018 will be the make it or break it year for him. Three years with his recruits starting. I think he will have winning seasons till then, but I expect him to be playing for the B1G title by then if he is ever going to.

GBR!!!

This "conceded the year" stuff if ridiculous. Is there someone that redshirted that would have helped us beat Ohio St or Iowa?

In 2008 Pelini redshirted 23 of 25 scholarship freshmen (and 32 walkon freshmen!). Was he conceding the year?

oh no!....you mentioned Bo. time for another Bo nay or yay pissing contest to flare up

I think four seasons would be an accurate sample size to determine where the program is trending.

But if we could spend top dollar to lure the top coaching candidates, maybe we could have landed Tom Herman. Whose Houston team just sh#t the bed against unranked Memphis on the way to its own 9 - 3 season.

Or maybe we could have gotten Louisville's Bobby Petrino, who along with the services of the nation's most exciting dual threat Heisman Trophy caliber quarterback, lost to unranked SEC after-thought Kentucky on the way to its own 9 - 3 season.

If Mike MacIntyre was on your list back in 2013, you have my respects. But I bet he wasn't.

There aren't a lot of no-brainers out there.

I think four seasons would be an accurate sample size to determine where the program is trending.

But if we could spend top dollar to lure the top coaching candidates, maybe we could have landed Tom Herman. Whose Houston team just sh#t the bed against unranked Memphis on the way to its own 9 - 3 season.

Or maybe we could have gotten Louisville's Bobby Petrino, who along with the services of the nation's most exciting dual threat Heisman Trophy caliber quarterback, lost to unranked SEC after-thought Kentucky on the way to its own 9 - 3 season.

If Mike MacIntyre was on your list back in 2013, you have my respects. But I bet he wasn't.

These instances are primarily coaches who took an underperforming program......Colorado for example.....and turned them around.

A 9-3 season is Riley's career long ceiling. And now the blowout losses in the games that matter........

With the coach that hurt some of our feelings two seasons in the rearview mirror, it's time to consider the checkbook if we are serious about competing in the B1G.

• Fire 1

Until we met teams with a pulse and then the crap a$$ play calling of Langs kicked in and we got curb stomped.

Except for like, Oregon and Wisconsin.

Currently 4-8 and dead last in their division. This was their worst team in 25 years.

I'd argue that the Oregon team we played was a different one than we saw afterwards, but regardless, they still have more/better talent than us and they played a really tough game. Maybe I mistakenly took, 'with a pulse' to mean teams that battled and competed closely, instead of teams with great talent :dunno

On offense? Yes.

On defense? Not so much.

Until we met teams with a pulse and then the crap a$$ play calling of Langs kicked in and we got curb stomped.

Except for like, Oregon and Wisconsin.

As far as Wisconsin goes, they are pretty good on defense. #10 in the country in yards per play. They averaged giving up 4.75 yards per play. We averaged 4.07 yards per play against them. So we were significantly below average compared to the rest of their opponents this year.

These instances are primarily coaches who took an underperforming program......Colorado for example.....and turned them around.

A 9-3 season is Riley's career long ceiling. And now the blowout losses in the games that matter........

With the coach that hurt some of our feelings two seasons in the rearview mirror, it's time to consider the checkbook if we are serious about competing in the B1G.

Just who exactly are you talking about? While I realize Saban's coaching has probably gotten better as the years have gone by, one still must admit that he didn't exactly light the World on fire at Michigan State. Are we really that much different than Michigan State? Urban Meyer turned down his dream job and then accepted the Florida job.

We can open up the checkbook and pay someone 8-10 million, but it doesn't mean the results on the field get any better. Who exactly out there has a proven track record at a program comparable to Nebraska?

2015 5-7 > > > > > 42% Wins

2016 9-3 > > > > > 75% Wins

Increase in winning percentage (which is what matters it seems to most on this board) of 32%

I would challenge the OP, or anyone else to improve their work performance by 32% in one year.

A 32% increase on one year seems to indicate growth to me. But never let numbers get in the way.

(Now, feel free to compare to Pelini as I know many will.....but the statement wasn't "No growth over Pelini years..." it was simply "2 years - No Growth".)

Well I guess Riley should go 5-7 again next year to make another easy 32% increase

Forgive me...you must surely be a football coaching genius to qualify a 32% increase in winning as "easy"...at any level. In my ignorance, I thought in the highly competitive world of college football that improving, in a second year at a program, by over 30% would be difficult. My bad.

You mean underperforming Louisville that went 7-6, 7-6, 11-2, and 12-1 before Bobby took over.

You mean underperforming Houston that went 13-1, 5-7, 8-5 and 8-5 before Tom took over.

The only team that underperformed was Colorado and they have been doing that through 3 separate coaches. Mike MacIntyre has gone 4-8, 2-10 and 4-9 in his first 3 years.

2015 5-7 > > > > > 42% Wins

2016 9-3 > > > > > 75% Wins

Increase in winning percentage (which is what matters it seems to most on this board) of 32%

I would challenge the OP, or anyone else to improve their work performance by 32% in one year.

A 32% increase on one year seems to indicate growth to me. But never let numbers get in the way.

(Now, feel free to compare to Pelini as I know many will.....but the statement wasn't "No growth over Pelini years..." it was simply "2 years - No Growth".)

Well I guess Riley should go 5-7 again next year to make another easy 32% increase

Forgive me...you must surely be a football coaching genius to qualify a 32% increase in winning as "easy"...at any level. In my ignorance, I thought in the highly competitive world of college football that improving, in a second year at a program, by over 30% would be difficult. My bad.

If you have 9-10 wins first yr. then yes! if 5-6 then not so much

You mean underperforming Louisville that went 7-6, 7-6, 11-2, and 12-1 before Bobby took over.

You mean underperforming Houston that went 13-1, 5-7, 8-5 and 8-5 before Tom took over.

The only team that underperformed was Colorado and they have been doing that through 3 separate coaches. Mike MacIntyre has gone 4-8, 2-10 and 4-9 in his first 3 years.

Yes, Houston and Colorado were underperforming.

There are some coaching searches that have worked out very well. Nebraska is not one of them.

What coaching searches at programs similar to Nebraska that have worked out very well?

Depends on what you consider "similar to Nebraska".

In the history of college football, we're a top 5 program. The past 15 years, we're a top 20 -30 program.

If we have the desire to head back toward that elite space, it will cost. A lot.

Ohio State - Michigan is a $15 million battle.

Bedlam is a $10 million battle.

• Fire 1