Two years in....no growth

It's frustrating to watch the same mistakes and horrible playcalling. It feels like callahan...just waiting for it to be over so we can try again some day. I know the comparison sounds rash but Nebraska should be in that conference title game more often than not.

I mean wisky and Iowa are the only threats right now for the division...and they aren't scary good teams...but what good teams do to us, is play consistent and let us implode.

Shanking punts, giving up big returns, fielding punts inside the 10 regularly...that's just special teams crap!

And that my friend is the culture that Bo left us that needs to be changed which some feel is an excuse when it is far from it.

Your "culture" boogeyman is as much to blame as walking under a ladder or crossing paths with a black cat.

It's made up.

You have obviously never played any sport or been part of a team locker room and you are showing your ignorance on the subject.

Lmao... I've played plenty, and I coach.

Back off the personal stuff.

time to fire another 9-3 coach? seems to be the prevailing attitude with Nebraska fans.

Yeah, that's the thing. You fire a coach, any coach, and it sets your program back a couple of years. At some point your need to pick a guy and stick with him. I think Riley gathered a pretty good staff around him. And recruiting seems to be going well. So there's that. :dunno:

So stick with the guy that's less than 10 years from retirement?

It's frustrating to watch the same mistakes and horrible playcalling. It feels like callahan...just waiting for it to be over so we can try again some day. I know the comparison sounds rash but Nebraska should be in that conference title game more often than not.

I mean wisky and Iowa are the only threats right now for the division...and they aren't scary good teams...but what good teams do to us, is play consistent and let us implode.

Shanking punts, giving up big returns, fielding punts inside the 10 regularly...that's just special teams crap!

And that my friend is the culture that Bo left us that needs to be changed which some feel is an excuse when it is far from it.

Your "culture" boogeyman is as much to blame as walking under a ladder or crossing paths with a black cat.

It's made up.

You have obviously never played any sport or been part of a team locker room and you are showing your ignorance on the subject.

To the first part.... :facepalm:

LMAO, you stalk me and then threaten to ban me. Whatever continue with your agenda. Mods on here are too funny.

• Fire 2

To be fair the other guy lost 1 or 2 games a year to teams he had no buisness losing to. At least we made some improvements there.

Like Purdue, Illinois, Iowa (x2), Northwestern, etc...
Like I said, this year... If we're honest, he actually did something our ex never managed to do in a season; Not lose to a team he was favored over.

Disclaimer for some out there: that doesn't mean we don't need some serious changes...

Lol, that's because the schedule was hot garbage. It's like being the skinniest kid at fat camp. Yay....
Like they were any better the last 4 or 5 years?

According to Sagarin, this is the worst schedule we've had since 2003.

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/ncaaf/sagarin/2003/team/

• Fire 1

To be fair the other guy lost 1 or 2 games a year to teams he had no buisness losing to. At least we made some improvements there.

Like Purdue, Illinois, Iowa (x2), Northwestern, etc...
Like I said, this year... If we're honest, he actually did something our ex never managed to do in a season; Not lose to a team he was favored over.

Disclaimer for some out there: that doesn't mean we don't need some serious changes...

Of course that can be accomplished by performing in a way so as to reduce the games in which one is favored, even against inferior teams.

• Fire 1

We are 2 years into the Riley era and are right back where we were with Pelini...piling up wins against lesser teams and losing 3 or 4 against the teams we need to beat to get to the next level. On top of that we have looked clueless in 2 of our 3 losses just as we did with Pelini. When Minnesota is your best win of the season, you know the Husker program is no longer relevant.

don't want to nitpick, however what year did BO only lose 3 games?

Well many times during the regular season (2010, 2011, 2012, and 2014), and because he didn't play a bowl game in 2014, he finished at 9-3. I supported getting rid of Bo primarily for his inability to win the big game, and to get completely humiliated in some of the biggest games. This isn't intended to be a Pelini vs Riley argument but more of a marker on where this program stands after two years of making a regime change. In my mind we are in the same position we were two years ago, with a slightlyl better recruiting class on the horizon.

It's made up.

To the first part.... :facepalm:

LMAO, you stalk me and then threaten to ban me. Whatever continue with your agenda. Mods on here are too funny.

I didn't stalk you. I posted in here before you did, and when your opinion was challenged, you chose to go that route.

I think anybody that thought we'd be better than 9-3 this year set themselves up for disappointment. We're transitioning from a read option type of offense to a pro style offense and this may be the worst 2 deep roster in my lifetime. Very little to work with this year. I'm pleased they kept it together enough for 9 wins.

It's why guys like DiNardo said we should be happy with a bowl appearance this year because he didn't think much of the talent level. Brock Huard also came in and thought very little of the talent in Lincoln. Matt Millen the same. Some people just don't want to hear it, I get it.

Doesn't mean things are perfect with this staff either. Read gotta go. Cav and Banker need to show more next season. Langs is handcuffed with Armstrong much like Beck was. And the OL stunk. Trying to call plays with a bad OL and a QB that can't hit passes is a nightmare.

• Fire 2

I think anybody that thought we'd be better than 9-3 this year set themselves up for disappointment. We're transitioning from a read option type of offense to a pro style offense and this may be the worst 2 deep roster in my lifetime. Very little to work with this year. I'm pleased they kept it together enough for 9 wins.

It's why guys like DiNardo said we should be happy with a bowl appearance this year because he didn't think much of the talent level. Brock Huard also came in and thought very little of the talent in Lincoln. Matt Millen the same. Some people just don't want to hear it, I get it.

Doesn't mean things are perfect with this staff either. Read gotta go. Cav and Banker need to show more next season. Langs is handcuffed with Armstrong much like Beck was. And the OL stunk. Trying to call plays with a bad OL and a QB that can't hit passes is a nightmare.

Based on what evidence?

Because unless you're 1 year old, you'd know this roster is pretty consistent with what has been at NU for over 10 years.

And, even if those people were really right with their predictions, how many of them would have guessed that Iowa would beat them down to the tune of 40-10 (let alone OSU loss)?

And let's not pretend that they don't factor in the coaching ability, too - their assessments aren't just based on perceived player talent.

Since 1999, Wisconsin has four conference titles, two Rose Bowl wins and five Rose Bowl appearances. What have we done? Nothing. I think Wisconsin beat a #1 ranked OSU team in there as well, on a big stage. Pretty sure we all remember what they have done to us. How is it that we can say that we are better than they are, have more talent, whatever??? They lost 59-0 to OSU in the championship game and went back to beat a good Auburn team in their bowl. I am tired of talking about the past, what we once were. This in now and I am afraid we might just be exactly what we have seen for sixteen years. 8-10 wins, lose to good teams, that is who we seem to be.

We had a huge opportunity with the scheduling this year and blew it. Plain and simple. When the schedule comes around and we play Michigan, OSU and PSU...look out. It won't be pretty unless we change something, philosophy, game plan, recruiting, maybe all of it.

Interesting two years with Riley so far. I don't think we were as bad as our record last year but also not as good as our record this year. Sort of all washed itself out. The same issues still persist which is a bad sign. Blow out losses are not acceptable. The OSU was just a very bad night but today was embarrassing. Not ready to play and Iowa is not that good to get run over by them. Today was the worst loss of the season for me. This should have been a close game and we got destroyed. Lots of poor effort all the way around.

I am honestly tired of hearing people say that a coach needs a few years to turn things around and get his players in. That is complete bullsh#t and horse crap. Look at what harbaugh and Meyer did in their first years. Look at what Petersen did at Washington in ONE YEAR. THEY inherited whatever was left and coached them up. We just give coaches excuses and prolong the inevitable. Let us face it, Riley is not a long term solution. He has a couple more years of coaching at best. If he could not turn things around when he was at his prime, he is not going to do it now. He is a nice guy and loyal to his assistants and we will continue to see average seasons and slowly lose respect that the Nebraska brand used to carry.

If you are a good coach, you win no matter what. Look at Saban, he loses QBs, good assistants, excellent players, and he simply reloads and continues destroying everyone. We are just left with the hope that the Angels will start playing football by our side so we can may be win a championship. Hopefully that will happen in the next decade or two.

• Fire 2

I am honestly tired of hearing people say that a coach needs a few years to turn things around and get his players in. That is complete bullsh#t and horse crap. Look at what harbaugh and Meyer did in their first years. Look at what Petersen did at Washington in ONE YEAR. THEY inherited whatever was left and coached them up. We just give coaches excuses and prolong the inevitable. Let us face it, Riley is not a long term solution. He has a couple more years of coaching at best. If he could not turn things around when he was at his prime, he is not going to do it now. He is a nice guy and loyal to his assistants and we will continue to see average seasons and slowly lose respect that the Nebraska brand used to carry.

If you are a good coach, you win no matter what. Look at Saban, he loses QBs, good assistants, excellent players, and he simply reloads and continues destroying everyone. We are just left with the hope that the Angels will start playing football by our side so we can may be win a championship. Hopefully that will happen in the next decade or two.

I agree with you. I would even add that Chryst has made Wisconsin better in 2 years. Wisconsin has been good for many years, but it's not often that this late in the season they are still in talks for making it to the national championship game or the CFP? They have played the toughest schedule in the nation in my opinion, and have one OT loss to the #2 team, and a 7-point loss on the road to the #3 team. Great coaching can make a difference, and Riley and his staff are just average overall, not the dramatic change needed to make NU relevant nationally.

• Fire 1