Does this team even care???

Apathy

Craig Bohl? LOL He had his chance here and was fired for the defensive mess which if often pointed to as the downfall of the Husker empire. I am not sure it was fair to blame him but Frank put the blame on Tom's long time staff for his recruiting and on field performance woes when he fired so many of them. This was Frank's worst mistake among many. Hindsight is 20/20 they say but Frank's single biggest failure was recruiting. We were such a powerful draw that literally many of the best players around the country were sending letters, calling, sending film, etc to interest Nebraska in offering them. You could not have had it easier to recruit anywhere during Frank's first 4 years or so. Still, he turned down more talent that Mike Riley can ever hope to bring in.

If the OWH is calling for Riley to be fired, they are fools. Anyone calling for the termination of coaches after this season is just not being realistic. We came within ONE PLAY of playing Penn State for the Big Ten title, a game we maybe could have won, all things considered. We ended up with a decent record and should get a decent bowl. This was as good as any Pelini would have mustered and in the end just as close as Michigan and Ohio State got to the CCG.

Do Husker fans have plenty to be upset about? Yes. Are there issues to be worked on? Sure. Are there any coaching hires/fires that may be needed for next year? Maybe so. We will expect and demand dramatic upgrades in 'special teams' play as that was completely unacceptable. How Riley and Company accomplish this is what they are getting paid very handsomly for. Fail to do so by next fall? Then the AD may have to look at staffing changes. In the end, employees are to do as they are told or will asked to leave. Nobody can be expected to accomplish miracles but basic stuff is rightfully expected and required.

Getting this generation of video game playing techno junkies to excell at something completely physical such as football is another story. Do they care? Well, I would suggest that they most likely don't have the same heart, desire, 'hunger' and so on as a generation or two ago would have. You see it often in the reaction of players after a loss. Often you don't see the real hurt and disappointment and upset that reasonably can be expected following a defeat. You are supposed to really want to win and if you don't you will suffer substantially. This is not often present these days. A difference in the attitudes and mindsets of this day and age presumably.

I love how recruiting rankings become gospel accurate truth that accounts for 1 of 2 factors into a team's success whenever cm husker sees an opportunity to sh#t on Mike Riley's staff.

And then recruiting rankings become a shoddy, unreliable factor whenever cm husker can't use them to sh#t on Mike Riley's staff.

Speaking the gospel right here ^

• Fire 1

I love how recruiting rankings become gospel accurate truth that accounts for 1 of 2 factors into a team's success whenever cm husker sees an opportunity to sh#t on Mike Riley's staff.

And then recruiting rankings become a shoddy, unreliable factor whenever cm husker can't use them to sh#t on Mike Riley's staff.

You know my take on recruiting. It's broken into tiers. Tier 1 is 1-15 or do. Tier 2 is 15-35 or so. Tier 3 is 35 to 60 or so. The rest after that is basically a wash.

I've always said that Riley, Bo and even Callahan and Solich all recruited about the same - maybe solich better than the others based on the number and draft position of drafted players that he recruited and left in the program.

What's funny to me is when people claim we are recruiting so much better based on the rankings, but want to ignore those rankings when looking at or current roster.

Can't have it both ways.

• Fire 1

Recruiting is a process that incorporates much more than who has committed right now or even eventually signs to play here. There is momentum on that front we haven't seen here in a long time. It is better. The staff is getting visits from several high-profile players.

It also has yet to prove that getting them here on an OV translates to them playing football for Nebraska. The jury is still out.

cm, I think you would do well to look at what people are calling "improvement" as more of a foundation for the future and be a little patient with it.

Others acting like we are killing it in recruiting based upon some relationships built would be wise to "not count your chickens before they are hatched".

It is okay to both see optimism in our process but still be wary if the ends will justify the means.

Just my 2 cents.

Recruiting is a process that incorporates much more than who has committed right now or even eventually signs to play here. There is momentum on that front we haven't seen here in a long time. It is better. The staff is getting visits from several high-profile players.

It also has yet to prove that getting them here on an OV translates to them playing football for Nebraska. The jury is still out.

cm, I think you would do well to look at what people are calling "improvement" as more of a foundation for the future and be a little patient with it.

Others acting like we are killing it in recruiting based upon some relationships built would be wise to "not count your chickens before they are hatched".

It is okay to both see optimism in our process but still be wary if the ends will justify the means.

Just my 2 cents.

Good post

Something was off. The Stanley Morgan blow up in the first quarter was odd. Think there may have been some other things going on in their heads.

Yeah, something was definitely not right that day. Very odd.

I'm sure the team cares, but they didn't really show up. I know TA pours his heart and soul out for the team every play, but heaving prayer after 40-yard-prayer on 3rd down, it's awfully hard to say his head was completely into the idea of extending drives. Not to put it on his shoulders. The whole team was in a funk.

Craig Bohl? LOL He had his chance here and was fired for the defensive mess which if often pointed to as the downfall of the Husker empire. I am not sure it was fair to blame him but Frank put the blame on Tom's long time staff for his recruiting and on field performance woes when he fired so many of them. This was Frank's worst mistake among many. Hindsight is 20/20 they say but Frank's single biggest failure was recruiting. We were such a powerful draw that literally many of the best players around the country were sending letters, calling, sending film, etc to interest Nebraska in offering them. You could not have had it easier to recruit anywhere during Frank's first 4 years or so. Still, he turned down more talent that Mike Riley can ever hope to bring in.

If the OWH is calling for Riley to be fired, they are fools. Anyone calling for the termination of coaches after this season is just not being realistic. We came within ONE PLAY of playing Penn State for the Big Ten title, a game we maybe could have won, all things considered. We ended up with a decent record and should get a decent bowl. This was as good as any Pelini would have mustered and in the end just as close as Michigan and Ohio State got to the CCG.

Do Husker fans have plenty to be upset about? Yes. Are there issues to be worked on? Sure. Are there any coaching hires/fires that may be needed for next year? Maybe so. We will expect and demand dramatic upgrades in 'special teams' play as that was completely unacceptable. How Riley and Company accomplish this is what they are getting paid very handsomly for. Fail to do so by next fall? Then the AD may have to look at staffing changes. In the end, employees are to do as they are told or will asked to leave. Nobody can be expected to accomplish miracles but basic stuff is rightfully expected and required.

Getting this generation of video game playing techno junkies to excell at something completely physical such as football is another story. Do they care? Well, I would suggest that they most likely don't have the same heart, desire, 'hunger' and so on as a generation or two ago would have. You see it often in the reaction of players after a loss. Often you don't see the real hurt and disappointment and upset that reasonably can be expected following a defeat. You are supposed to really want to win and if you don't you will suffer substantially. This is not often present these days. A difference in the attitudes and mindsets of this day and age presumably.

* handsomely

*excel

Way to cast a freaking broad ass net. I get it, based off your user name I assume you graduated from law school 32 years ago, placing you in the 55-60 age category, but good lord man. You don't know enough about any of these kids to definitively state that they can't EXCEL at a physical sport. Don't have the same heart, desire, or hunger? BS..... I'm willing to be there is the same number of kids that come from broken families, or poverty, and see football as their way out playing the sport today, as there was 30-40 year ago. Hell, there are probably more. But keep on keeping on with the greatest generation spiel. We will be sure to stay off your lawn, Walt Kowalski.

• Fire 3

* handsomely

*excel

Way to cast a freaking broad ass net. I get it, based off your user name I assume you graduated from law school 32 years ago, placing you in the 55-60 age category, but good lord man. You don't know enough about any of these kids to definitively state that they can't EXCEL at a physical sport. Don't have the same heart, desire, or hunger? BS..... I'm willing to be there is the same number of kids that come from broken families, or poverty, and see football as their way out playing the sport today, as there was 30-40 year ago. Hell, there are probably more. But keep on keeping on with the greatest generation spiel. We will be sure to stay off your lawn, Walt Kowalski.

I'm a head coach at a high school, and he is pretty close to spot on in the bolded. It didn't change 30 or 40 years ago either. It changed about 6-8 years ago. And I am not 55-60. I'm 35.

* handsomely

*excel

I'm a head coach at a high school, and he is pretty close to spot on in the bolded. It didn't change 30 or 40 years ago either. It changed about 6-8 years ago. And I am not 55-60. I'm 35.

What exactly would you say changed? Players don't have the same heart or desire that they once did?

Just my 2 cents.

And why are they getting these visits? Because recruiting is about relationships and these coaches had/have solid relationships in California. What % of these highly touted visitors are not from the west?

My concern are twofold. First, visits are interesting but commits (and retention) are what matters. Second, the longer the staff is here, and the more time they spend building regional relationships (as they should), the more tenuous their relationships with California HS becomes. So I'm not convinced that visits this year mean more commits next year or the year after.

Reality is, if Riley goes 24-12 during the next three regular seasons, he probably won't be here to see if that recruiting groundwork pays off.

* handsomely

*excel

What exactly would you say changed? Players don't have the same heart or desire that they once did?

I would say that is partly true, but it is a terrible by product of wins and losses not meaning as much because of the "participation trophy" generation. We are going through a time in this country where we were/are so afraid to hurt somebodies feelings that we don't allow kids to feel the pain of a loss and therefore the desire to not feel that again is not instilled in them.

It will hurt us far beyond the playing field/court soon, it is going to infect our society.

The PC focus we are on now is the problem. You can't improve if nobody ever tells you what you are bad at because they will be told they are "judging" you. It is an epidemic, and it will change. I hope it is cyclical.

This is not all kids, some still have that fire. It just used to be that the kid without the desire was the exception, now when a kid goes hard everyday and fights to win they are the exception.

• Fire 1

Just my 2 cents.

And why are they getting these visits? Because recruiting is about relationships and these coaches had/have solid relationships in California. What % of these highly touted visitors are not from the west?

My concern are twofold. First, visits are interesting but commits (and retention) are what matters. Second, the longer the staff is here, and the more time they spend building regional relationships (as they should), the more tenuous their relationships with California HS becomes. So I'm not convinced that visits this year mean more commits next year or the year after.

Reality is, if Riley goes 24-12 during the next three regular seasons, he probably won't be here to see if that recruiting groundwork pays off.

I see you really understood my message.....

• Fire 1