Way too early look at 2017 O line

I know it's way early. But, this topic is being brought up in multiple threads. Some people tend to think we are thin with very little talent there. I beg to differ. We have a lot of very young talent that next year is going to be a year older, bigger and experienced.

This is this year's players (in red) on the depth chart plus the ones that redshirted.

Left Tackle

Nich Gates SO :star:star:star:star .8929

Christian Gaylord RFR :star:star:star .8882

Left Guard

Jerald Foster SO :star:star:star .8708

Jalen barnett RFR :star:star:star:star .9207

Center

Michael Decker RFR :star:star:star .8544

John Raridon :star:star:star:star .9021

Right Guard

Tanner Farmer SO :star:star:star:star .9021

Bo Wilson FR :star:star:star .8559

Right Tackle

Cole Conrad SO Walkon

David Knevel JR :star:star:star .8765

Matt Farniok FR :star:star:star:star .9049

Bryan Brokop FR :star:star:star .8847

Average rating of :star:star:star:star .8904 and only one of these players is a senior.

Most/all of the raw talent on this line is very young. The only guy leaving that started on the line this year is Utter. This unit has not had much upper class man leadership all year.

I really like the players we have at LT, LG, RG. The battle at RT and C is going to be interesting. Hopefully the year of experience has allowed the young kids that redshirted to mature and get stronger and better.

I personally think there is reason to be very optimistic about this unit going forward. We need to land some good line players in this next class to keep building depth.

• Fire 2

The young talent on this team is very good. Coach Cav needs to step up and make sure it shows on the field. The RT is the one iffy spot that might not be filled the best next season given the young talent. We have a lot of guys who can play inside, but only a few that can play tackle and be good at it.

Did Gaylord ever see an offensive snap at LT? Pretty sure that I saw him wearing a number in the 90s and he would be the TE on FG/XP tries.

Also, I could be wrong, but isn't Raridon at C and Wilson at OG? I know Wilson almost played at guard earlier this year.

Gaylord is listed at #65.

I went off of their player positions on 247 other than, I thought I had heard Wilson was possibly a center. I could be wrong.

Did Gaylord ever see an offensive snap at LT? Pretty sure that I saw him wearing a number in the 90s and he would be the TE on FG/XP tries.

Also, I could be wrong, but isn't Raridon at C and Wilson at OG? I know Wilson almost played at guard earlier this year.

Agree. But the couple games I went to this year I noticed that thre were some linemen wearing odd numbers that went out for FG and XPs. Gaylord was one, I think Decker might have been another one.

Did anyone else notice this? Or am I high?

Agree. But the couple games I went to this year I noticed that thre were some linemen wearing odd numbers that went out for FG and XPs. Gaylord was one, I think Decker might have been another one.

Yes, we've done that for a couple years. The Linemen that are lined up in what would usually be a TE spot for PATs and FGs wear eligible-receiver numbers.

Yes, we've done that for a couple years. The Linemen that are lined up in what would usually be a TE spot for PATs and FGs wear eligible-receiver numbers.

So, he saw the field but maybe not at LT.

So, he saw the field but maybe not at LT.

Right. I'm pretty sure he played some Tackle early in the year but mostly just on special teams.