Way too early look at 2017 O line

Should be some good young talent on the OL next year. Mix them with Gates-Foster-Farmer and that's a decent start.

Heard a lot of good things about the true freshmen this year but not much about the rFreshmen. Need guys like Decker-Barnett-Gaylord to step up to have some real depth next year.

Would like to see all starting jobs open up heading into the bowl game as well. A couple of those rFreshmen may be ready to step up now.

I count 12 and if you are correct that we have but one lonely senior (Utter) leaving, then we are sure short about 8 or 10 linemen. 5 positions X 4 deep = 20. Just my math but where o' where has our pipeline gone? Even using scholarship guys we shoud have 82 or so divided amongst 22 positions (or 3.5 PER position). We sure don't need 3.5 receivers across about 4 spots so that means we got room for 4 deep on scholarship at each line spot! Just asking? Where are they?

I know it's way early. But, this topic is being brought up in multiple threads. Some people tend to think we are thin with very little talent there. I beg to differ. We have a lot of very young talent that next year is going to be a year older, bigger and experienced.

This is this year's players (in red) on the depth chart plus the ones that redshirted.

Left Tackle

Nich Gates SO :star:star:star:star .8929

Christian Gaylord RFR :star:star:star .8882

Left Guard

Jerald Foster SO :star:star:star .8708

Jalen barnett RFR :star:star:star:star .9207

Center

Michael Decker RFR :star:star:star .8544

John Raridon :star:star:star:star .9021

Right Guard

Tanner Farmer SO :star:star:star:star .9021

Bo Wilson FR :star:star:star .8559

Right Tackle

Cole Conrad SO Walkon

David Knevel JR :star:star:star .8765

Matt Farniok FR :star:star:star:star .9049

Bryan Brokop FR :star:star:star .8847

Average rating of :star:star:star:star .8904 and only one of these players is a senior.

Most/all of the raw talent on this line is very young. The only guy leaving that started on the line this year is Utter. This unit has not had much upper class man leadership all year.

I really like the players we have at LT, LG, RG. The battle at RT and C is going to be interesting. Hopefully the year of experience has allowed the young kids that redshirted to mature and get stronger and better.

I personally think there is reason to be very optimistic about this unit going forward. We need to land some good line players in this next class to keep building depth.

Most of those players in red didn't impress, maybe it is the coaching hmmmmm... another yr older does not directly relate to better

• Fire 1

Should be some good young talent on the OL next year. Mix them with Gates-Foster-Farmer and that's a decent start.

Heard a lot of good things about the true freshmen this year but not much about the rFreshmen. Need guys like Decker-Barnett-Gaylord to step up to have some real depth next year.

Would like to see all starting jobs open up heading into the bowl game as well. A couple of those rFreshmen may be ready to step up now.

well if they are I wish they would have stepped in that iowa debacle

I count 12 and if you are correct that we have but one lonely senior (Utter) leaving, then we are sure short about 8 or 10 linemen. 5 positions X 4 deep = 20. Just my math but where o' where has our pipeline gone? Even using scholarship guys we shoud have 82 or so divided amongst 22 positions (or 3.5 PER position). We sure don't need 3.5 receivers across about 4 spots so that means we got room for 4 deep on scholarship at each line spot! Just asking? Where are they?

Everyone's favorite Coach Cav doesn't rotate linemen during games, so he is probably good with only 2-3 deep at each spot.

I know it's way early. But, this topic is being brought up in multiple threads. Some people tend to think we are thin with very little talent there. I beg to differ. We have a lot of very young talent that next year is going to be a year older, bigger and experienced.

This is this year's players (in red) on the depth chart plus the ones that redshirted.

Left Tackle

Left Guard

Center

Right Guard

Right Tackle

Cole Conrad SO Walkon

Average rating of :star:star:star:star .8904 and only one of these players is a senior.

Most/all of the raw talent on this line is very young. The only guy leaving that started on the line this year is Utter. This unit has not had much upper class man leadership all year.

I really like the players we have at LT, LG, RG. The battle at RT and C is going to be interesting. Hopefully the year of experience has allowed the young kids that redshirted to mature and get stronger and better.

I personally think there is reason to be very optimistic about this unit going forward. We need to land some good line players in this next class to keep building depth.

Most of those players in red didn't impress, maybe it is the coaching hmmmmm... another yr older does not directly relate to better

Ehhhh, not following you there. I'd say the only guy who underachieved based on his hype/grade was Knevel. It's hard to get too bent out of shape about RFr linemen not contributing. I hope they can right the ship. A solid O-Line cures a whole lot of ills.

Left Tackle

Left Guard

Center

Right Guard

Right Tackle

Cole Conrad SO Walkon

Ehhhh, not following you there. I'd say the only guy who underachieved based on his hype/grade was Knevel. It's hard to get too bent out of shape about RFr linemen not contributing. I hope they can right the ship. A solid O-Line cures a whole lot of ills.

It is all about what you can do against decent to good Defence, most of the above people in red played in the iowa game and you saw the run game and how Tommy would be running for his life in the tougher games

It will depend on attrition and the number of OL they sign but currently they are on schedule to have 17 scholarship OL next season. Johnson and Hannon may move on. Good chance Conrad gets put on scholarship.

The upperclassmen OL this year were really low on numbers and especially talent.