Westerkamp, Gates Named to All-B1G Teams

Mavric

There is recruiting and then there is player development/production. It seems Riley may be a little better at one and worse at the other.

I guess that's a possibility. (If I understand correctly, I think you're saying that Riley is better at recruiting than developing players.) But we did have several players who seemed to improve quite a bit over the past two seasons. Josh Banderas, Chris Jones, Kieron Williams and Terrell Newby come to mind. (There are lots of other talented players—like Gerry and Kalu—but their talent was apparent before 2015.) And to be fair, there are a couple other guys who haven't blossomed, or may have fallen off a bit during this time, like say, DPE and David Knevel. Not sure what the deal is there. Injuries contributed for sure. :dunno:

Since we've joined the B10 (1st team) at least one media or coaches

Burkhead

David

Dennard

Maher

Martinez

Long

Maher

Martin

Stafford

Abdullah

Gregory

Evans

Bell

Gregory

Foltz

This lists says much more about recruiting failures in 2010-2013 than anything about Mike Riley.

I'm sure there's some of that.

But when you're winning your division and playing in the CCG, your players tend to get a little longer look. When you're finishing in the middle of the pack, it's pretty easy for other players to get the benefit of the doubt.

i still dont know that this list is a true story of our talent. Like i said, we have some talented guys. We even have some talented seniors who have either had their developement delayed, or sped up, by the coaching change. Banderas will make an NFL team. would he be in that situation under Bo? No. it's pretty glaring he was struggling with what that system required of it's backers. but in this system, where the backers were really freed up...........

What it mostly is is a good explanation of how our program became very stagnant and mediocre within the conference. has this new staff done anything glaring to remedy that? Well no obviously. does it mean theyre not capable? Who knows. What i do know is that using only 2 years of failure/mediocrity/non improvement/whatever you wanna call it as a reason to ask for an 8th year and beyond of the previous stagnation is stupid to me. And the trend that is being shown by the decreasing players in the all conference lists is how Nebraska remaining stagnant and mediocre is falling further and further behind in terms of the upper Big ten.

Since our last division title, we've still have not finished better than 3rd in our own division. 2 season of the last staff. 2 under this one. That kind of mediocrity is not gonna spur many all conference players, regardless of the amount of "talent". Esp since you got 4 teams up there in the top ten, and the best two teams not even playing for the conference championship.

• Fire 2

What i do know is that using only 2 years of failure/mediocrity/non improvement/whatever you wanna call it as a reason to ask for an 8th year and beyond of the previous stagnation is stupid to me.

Who's asking for that?

its around. the lack of success in these first two seasons is being used a rallying cry for why the the last stuff shoulda been retained. it's on this board. it's been on twitter. Ppl really feel this way. They have no sense of process. it was really prevelant last year after the 5-7/5-6 record.

Look. in 2-3 years if we're still at 9 wins or worse or showing now signs of progression, i'll be more than happy then to let these guys go and find yet another direction. That's just the way the game is right now. Find the right guy. Colorado and Washington can play that game. Why cant we?

To continue on my previous point, our offense finished near the bottom of the league in most categories. There are obviously several reasons for this but that definitely doesn't mean we have one of the least talented offenses in the conference. But when you don't have many stats to show for it, it's hard for your players to get recognized.

We had better stats on defense. But we also have the #2, #4 and #7 defenses in the country in our conference. We finished #22 but also had #20, #23, #24, #36 and #40 to compete with. There are just a lot of good defenses and, thus, a lot of good defenders

• Fire 2

What i do know is that using only 2 years of failure/mediocrity/non improvement/whatever you wanna call it as a reason to ask for an 8th year and beyond of the previous stagnation is stupid to me.

Who's asking for that?

its around. the lack of success in these first two seasons is being used a rallying cry for why the the last stuff shoulda been retained. it's on this board. it's been on twitter. Ppl really feel this way. They have no sense of process. it was really prevelant last year after the 5-7/5-6 record.

Look. in 2-3 years if we're still at 9 wins or worse or showing now signs of progression, i'll be more than happy then to let these guys go and find yet another direction. That's just the way the game is right now. Find the right guy. Colorado and Washington can play that game. Why cant we?

I'm sure there are some. But I think they're in the vast minority.

I see much more of people accusing anyone who has a criticism of the current staff of wanting the old staff back than people actually saying they want the old staff back. Those are totally separate things. But bringing up any comparison or complaining about something gets you labeled as a Boliever. That is happening much more than anyone actually wanting the old staff back, imo.

• Fire 1

Who's asking for that?

I'm sure there are some. But I think they're in the vast minority.

I see much more of people accusing anyone who has a criticism of the current staff of wanting the old staff back than people actually saying they want the old staff back. Those are totally separate things. But bringing up any comparison or complaining about something gets you labeled as a Boliever. That is happening much more than anyone actually wanting the old staff back, imo.

Definitely getting thinner now. But it was pretty thick a year ago

hell, even I have days where i sit and wonder "what if we kept him?". There's nothing wrong with that, because every guy has goods and bads. It's just a lot of times the reasoning for being so vocally against this staff in favor of the last is totally delusional and stupid. To those it's a coach over program mentality. Im a program guy. But some ppl have let the thought of letting coach being an above-all identity of the program get in the way of logical thinking and big picture ideas.

Burkhead

David

Dennard

Maher

Martinez

Long

Maher

Martin

Stafford

Abdullah

Gregory

Evans

Bell

Gregory

Foltz

This lists says much more about recruiting failures in 2010-2013 than anything about Mike Riley.

But when you're winning your division and playing in the CCG, your players tend to get a little longer look. When you're finishing in the middle of the pack, it's pretty easy for other players to get the benefit of the doubt.

You either have talent or you don't. If you have it, it will get recognized. And if we had the talent to get recognized, we'd probably be playing in the CCG. We just don't have the talent level we all want yet. Will Riley bring that talent level in? Well, that remains to be seen.

Burkhead

David

Dennard

Maher

Martinez

Long

Maher

Martin

Stafford

Abdullah

Gregory

Evans

Bell

Gregory

Foltz

You either have talent or you don't. If you have it, it will get recognized. And if we had the talent to get recognized, we'd probably be playing in the CCG. We just don't have the talent level we all want yet. Will Riley bring that talent level in? Well, that remains to be seen.

So coaching, play calling, schemes and injuries play no part in football. Good to know.

Burkhead

David

Dennard

Maher

Martinez

Long

Maher

Martin

Stafford

Abdullah

Gregory

Evans

Bell

Gregory

Foltz

"At the end of the day, I think we have kids in our program that are capable of winning championships.” Shawn Eichorst, exactly 2 years ago.

• Fire 1

Burkhead

David

Dennard

Maher

Martinez

Long

Maher

Martin

Stafford

Abdullah

Gregory

Evans

Bell

Gregory

Foltz

"At the end of the day, I think we have kids in our program that are capable of winning championships.” Shawn Eichorst, exactly 2 years ago.

exactly. Good thing we got 2-3 more years of kids in that very group.

Burkhead

David

Dennard

Maher

Martinez

Long

Maher

Martin

Stafford

Abdullah

Gregory

Evans

Bell

Gregory

Foltz

"At the end of the day, I think we have kids in our program that are capable of winning championships. Shawn Eichorst, exactly 2 years ago.

exactly. Good thing we got 2-3 more years of kids in that very group.

Maybe Butch Jones' ideas of championships. Lol

Burkhead

David

Dennard

Maher

Martinez

Long

Maher

Martin

Stafford

Abdullah

Gregory

Evans

Bell

Gregory

Foltz

"Our kids are crap and they should probably get a gun and kill themselves or transfer to Montana." Would that have been a more prudent thing to say? He's not going to bash on the kids. That would be absurd.