More sobering statistics about our diminished running game

Our best RB doesn't even play. I have inside knowledge on that and it's still not much of a secret. If Mikale stays, I will be surprised.

He must practice like crap. I've liked what I've seen in the very little playing time he has

it really has nothing to do with his play.
Can he not learn the play book?? sh#t attitude? I've heard he can't pass block but I don't buy that because they are starting a guy who can't run so...

He whiffed on a block in practice last year and has not heard the end of it. Mikale is also the more outspoken type and it does not fit Davis, at all. Wilbon gets in on certain packages and it's because of Langsdorf. He really likes him.

If true, I'm annoyed by this. I'm glad it's not something more serious then a petty personality conflict, but frustrating since I wanted to see more Wilbon this season. Whenever I saw him on the field I paid attention expecting a big play. Hopefully Langs can get his way and we see more carries for Wilbon since I think he can be really good. That will suck if he transfers but seeing Bryant getting carries this season has me worried. I thought next season it should be Wilbon and Ozigbo getting the carries with some for Bryant. If Mikale needs to change his attitude or behavior to see the field more, he should, just so he can show what he's got. Probably easier than transferring. On the other hand, Davis better have a good reason not to play the best RB if that is Wilbon.

• Fire 1

Our best RB doesn't even play. I have inside knowledge on that and it's still not much of a secret. If Mikale stays, I will be surprised.

He must practice like crap. I've liked what I've seen in the very little playing time he has

it really has nothing to do with his play.
Can he not learn the play book?? sh#t attitude? I've heard he can't pass block but I don't buy that because they are starting a guy who can't run so...

He whiffed on a block in practice last year and has not heard the end of it. Mikale is also the more outspoken type and it does not fit Davis, at all. Wilbon gets in on certain packages and it's because of Langsdorf. He really likes him.

If true, I'm annoyed by this. I'm glad it's not something more serious then a petty personality conflict, but frustrating since I wanted to see more Wilbon this season. Whenever I saw him on the field I paid attention expecting a big play. Hopefully Langs can get his way and we see more carries for Wilbon since I think he can be really good. That will suck if he transfers but seeing Bryant getting carries this season has me worried. I thought next season it should be Wilbon and Ozigbo getting the carries with some for Bryant. If Mikale needs to change his attitude or behavior to see the field more, he should, just so he can show what he's got. Probably easier than transferring. On the other hand, Davis better have a good reason not to play the best RB if that is Wilbon.

I know it sounds petty but there is a strange relationship going on. Langsdorf and Riley sang his praises last year in spring practice. The dude is hands down the best pure runner they have and its not even close.

• Fire 1

Our run game dropped off with the disappearance of Ozigbo. When your O line is not able to blow holes for your 'scat' or smaller types backs, then you have to go with a big power back and use a powerful blocking FB as well. We did much better last season down the stretch with Devine and Cross and Jano. I don't think the O line was all that much better last year - rather it was the backfield set up and utilization that helped. If we are going to run the ball better next year, we are going to have to throw the ball MUCH better so that teams will have to stop the passing game with a dime package or other measures that will weaken their run defensive posture. Presumably we will have some extra bodies by next fall on the line as well. Between linemen hurt and limping, etc and the absence of Ozigbo and Cross and Jano, there was a great deal missing. Add in a gimpy Tommy and Iowa had an easy chore to stop our offense.

100% false. Our run game disappeared when we lost 3-4 linemen to ankle sprains.

Stop trying to spin.

No disagreement regards injuries but to say it had nothing to do with having no inside runners is not true. I believe I have said many times our O line is simply not good and lacked meaningful depth. But there is also no debate that we lacked inside power running. No signifiant FB play nor any Ozigbo or Cross type backs. Bryant is decent but he is certainly not got the extra push of Ozigbo or Cross. Cross, Ozigbo and Jano were all 235 lbs and without a doubt much more powerful as compared to Wilbon or Newby. Certainly NOT 100% 'false' in my view.

Keep sharpening those knives, folks. I don't think Nebraska fields any kids who are "garbage." :facepalm:

p.s. - In terms of percentiles (relative to national averages for FBS teams in games against their peers), the Nebraska rushing numbers are as follows: 43rd for rushing yards per carry; 55th for rushing TD's per game; and 49th for rushing yards per game. I.e., they're not bad unless average is bad and let's not forget the passing offense has something to do with the rushing offense. "Our" percentile ratings for those stats are: 24th for completions per game; 8th for completion percentage; 38th for passing yards per attempt; 34th for passing touchdowns per game; 64th for interceptions per game; 27th for QB rating; and 34th for passing yards per game.

• Fire 1

Our run game dropped off with the disappearance of Ozigbo. When your O line is not able to blow holes for your 'scat' or smaller types backs, then you have to go with a big power back and use a powerful blocking FB as well. We did much better last season down the stretch with Devine and Cross and Jano. I don't think the O line was all that much better last year - rather it was the backfield set up and utilization that helped. If we are going to run the ball better next year, we are going to have to throw the ball MUCH better so that teams will have to stop the passing game with a dime package or other measures that will weaken their run defensive posture. Presumably we will have some extra bodies by next fall on the line as well. Between linemen hurt and limping, etc and the absence of Ozigbo and Cross and Jano, there was a great deal missing. Add in a gimpy Tommy and Iowa had an easy chore to stop our offense.

Also, when we did have Ozigbo in there, we had the stupidity of Langs calling stretch/boundary plays (the few times this season he did) with Ozigbo, and then going back to the off-tackle running plays with Newby. Those roles should have been reversed, to say the least, and demonstrates that Langsdorf either doesn't care or doesn't understand the running game.

Lansdorf really has problems managing the offensive playcalling from a macro level--he started reverting back to 2015 Langsdorf in the back half of the season in that he would fail to call plays to set up future plays, would get cute with playcalling 3rd and 4th and short situations, and he didn't consistently try to stretch things out and use boundary/option plays. When your OC keeps calling plays that you are getting beat on, his job is to find something that works to give your offense success to build off of. Langsdorf's game is more vertical, and he needs to think horizontal if he intends to succeed here (e.g. a rollout option pass would have done wonders to help a struggling O-Line that couldn't create a pocket and Tommy, as would toss/sweep/option plays with the correct personnel).

And yes, injuries played a part, especially with the offensive line. But some of that goes on the coaches and their philosophy of not subbing offensive linemen during games IMO, as well as their choice to gamble and redshirt the players they did. And that, too, ultimately rests at the feet of the OC and the HC.

Honestly, if 2017's offense isn't significantly better than this year's offense by the end of the season, Riley needs to seriously consider cutting bait with Lansdorf and bringing in a new OC. Because if it isn't going to happen with Langsdorf's kids, it's not going to happen, period.

And BTW, none of this is on the kids. None. I think they played with heart, and considering what a craptacular year this was outside of the confines of Memorial Stadium, it's honestly amazing it took until the Iowa game for them to run out of gas.

Also, when we did have Ozigbo in there, we had the stupidity of Langs calling stretch/boundary plays (the few times this season he did) with Ozigbo, and then going back to the off-tackle running plays with Newby. Those roles should have been reversed, to say the least, and demonstrates that Langsdorf either doesn't care or doesn't understand the running game.

Lansdorf really has problems managing the offensive playcalling from a macro level--he started reverting back to 2015 Langsdorf in the back half of the season in that he would fail to call plays to set up future plays, would get cute with playcalling 3rd and 4th and short situations, and he didn't consistently try to stretch things out and use boundary/option plays. When your OC keeps calling plays that you are getting beat on, his job is to find something that works to give your offense success to build off of. Langsdorf's game is more vertical, and he needs to think horizontal if he intends to succeed here (e.g. a rollout option pass would have done wonders to help a struggling O-Line that couldn't create a pocket and Tommy, as would toss/sweep/option plays with the correct personnel).

And yes, injuries played a part, especially with the offensive line. But some of that goes on the coaches and their philosophy of not subbing offensive linemen during games IMO, as well as their choice to gamble and redshirt the players they did. And that, too, ultimately rests at the feet of the OC and the HC.

Honestly, if 2017's offense isn't significantly better than this year's offense by the end of the season, Riley needs to seriously consider cutting bait with Lansdorf and bringing in a new OC. Because if it isn't going to happen with Langsdorf's kids, it's not going to happen, period.

And BTW, none of this is on the kids. None. I think they played with heart, and considering what a craptacular year this was outside of the confines of Memorial Stadium, it's honestly amazing it took until the Iowa game for them to run out of gas.

It's easy to be an armchair OC. We will see how the offense runs next year.

My main gripe with your post is the idea a mostly vertical offense game plan can't succeed here. I think it can with the right personell. You have to use both planes effectively but I think Langs does a nice job using the horizontal game to make his vertical game effective, even if the execution isn't there (missed passes)

It's easy to be an armchair OC. We will see how the offense runs next year.

My main gripe with your post is the idea a mostly vertical offense game plan can't succeed here. I think it can with the right personell. You have to use both planes effectively but I think Langs does a nice job using the horizontal game to make his vertical game effective, even if the execution isn't there (missed passes)

Agreed. And I'm not trying to play armchair OC--just calling out bad trends and issues with playcalling that doomed our 2015 outing and that reared its ugly head in the back half of 2016.

Hopefully our kids can get healthy enough that we can have a glimpse of what could have been when we play Tennessee, though.