LJS: Huskers Need to Upgrade Talent, Execution & Tenacity

Mavric

Nebraska athletic director Shawn Eichorst was emphatic earlier this week in saying the Huskers need to upgrade talent throughout the roster using "tenacity in recruiting." He's right, of course. But does that mean every less-talented team in sports should just throw up their hands and concede? The talent discussion can become a cop out — an excuse for lack of execution and, well, let's call it a lack of "tenacity in effort."

For too much of this loss, Nebraska's fourth in its last six games, the Huskers didn't play with enough tenacity — certainly not enough to overcome a Tennessee team that had its best players, Derek Barnett and Joshua Dobbs, clicking at a high level.
The part of Reilly's message that Nebraska fans should hope resonates is the bit about returning players holding each other to a high standard. The standards seemingly need to rise.
High standard can mean a lot of things, including unyielding attention to detail — which Nebraska (9-4) lacked for far too much of this game.
To wit: Even though Tennessee ranked 111th nationally in rush defense, the Huskers mustered only 61 yards on 28 attempts (2.2).

LJS

It is mind-boggling how many times over the last two years that we've gone up against a team that is terrible against the run and we can't do it.

UCLA is about the only exception.

I think it has to do with the fact that Langsdorf (and even Riley) don't want to run the ball. The attitude and willingness to run the ball effectively comes from the top, and I don't see it from the guys designing the offense and calling the plays.

• Fire 1

It is mind-boggling how many times over the last two years that we've gone up against a team that is terrible against the run and we can't do it.

I think it has to do with the fact that Langsdorf (and even Riley) don't want to run the ball. The attitude and willingness to run the ball effectively comes from the top, and I don't see it from the guys designing the offense and calling the plays.

This. I think we need a talent up grade at some positions, but good to great coaching can hide a lot. Against decent teams (teams that athletically were equal to or better than NU, Langs really had no answer. Our wins against "lesser" opponents was because we wore them down. I think we really did well in the 4th until we met better competition then that mantra started to lose its luster.

We need to get back to a power running team with the mentality that it takes to accomplish this.

• Fire 1

Forget, for a moment, about returning the "elite."

If Nebraska ever wants to win the Big 10 championship, we're going to need to get nasty along the OL.

To my eyes, most of our current woes stem from lack of intensity. Along the OL, not sustaining your blocks isn't about talent, it's about will and effort. Effort, will, and intensity...three things clearly lacking from this team.

Honestly, I am not sure Mike Riley has the philosophical base to get Nebraska where we need to be. He's a pass first, pass second, finesse, offense kind of guy and that get's you embarrassed in the Big 10.

This. I think we need a talent up grade at some positions, but good to great coaching can hide a lot. Against decent teams (teams that athletically were equal to or better than NU, Langs really had no answer. Our wins against "lesser" opponents was because we wore them down. I think we really did well in the 4th until we met better competition then that mantra started to lose its luster.

We need to get back to a power running team with the mentality that it takes to accomplish this.

I don't think the style of offense we run is important.

I don't think it's that they purposely sabotage the run game because they secretly want to pass more, we just seem to bang our heads against a wall running into the same hole over and over again and we're behind so much by then that we're forced to pass. I've usually defended this staff, but our offensive strategy is pretty perplexing. Outside runs have always worked better for us this year, but it seems like every game it takes our play callers 3 quarters to figure that out.