Tom Osborne vs. Nick Saban

dvdcrr

Nick went to LSU and Alabama to win championships.

Tom Osborne did it at Nebraska.

Think about that for a minute. Tom Osborne over decades had NU at the very top of the country in terms of respect, and for a magical three year run they were the BEST nearly undisputed among national writers. AT NEBRASKA. You could not even get Saban to walk through the door at Lincoln. Doesn't that say something?

Think about that for a minute. Tom Osborne over decades had NU at the very top of the country in terms of respect, and for a magical three year run they were the BEST nearly undisputed among national writers. AT NEBRASKA. You could not even get Saban to walk through the door at Lincoln. Doesn't that say something?

It definitely says something, but it's hard to rank Osborne ahead of Saban when he is about to double him up on National Titles... If I was to rank them in this hypothetical "all-time" poll, I'd probably have to give Saban the nod ahead of Osborne (I feel gross now).

I'd actually say it was a 5 year run and both the Saban and Osborne would be in conversation for GOAT. Valid arguments for either can be made but I'd disagree with anyone saying Saban is clearly the better coach.

I'd actually say it was a 5 year run and both the Saban and Osborne would be in conversation for GOAT. Valid arguments for either can be made but I'd disagree with anyone saying Saban is clearly the better coach.

I'd probably agree with you there, but accomplishments matter in these discussions. Over the last 8 years (including this year) Saban is 100-10, with 4 national titles in the last 7 years, and one win away from making it 5 in 8 years. That's insane, and incredibly hard to top.

Osborne did have 3 undefeated title seasons (one of those being the greatest CFB team of all-time), compared to Saban's 1, thus far....

I'd probably agree with you there, but accomplishments matter in these discussions. Over the last 8 years (including this year) Saban is 100-10, with 4 national titles in the last 7 years, and one win away from making it 5 in 8 years. That's insane, and incredibly hard to top.

Osborne did have 3 undefeated title seasons (one of those being the greatest CFB team of all-time), compared to Saban's 1, thus far....

Who has arguably had the better talent recruiting wise year in and year out? I think it's safe to say it's Saban by a landslide. Of course you're chances of being successful are going to be better if you have a roster full of 5 and 4 star recruits to work with year in and year out.

Dr. Tom did not have that luxury.

If you're going off of hardware then sure it might be easy to pick Saban. If you look deeper however I'll take TO. Every time.

Who has arguably had the better talent recruiting wise year in and year out? I think it's safe to say it's Saban by a landslide. Of course you're chances of being successful are going to be better if you have a roster full of 5 and 4 star recruits to work with year in and year out.

Dr. Tom did not have that luxury.

If you're going off of hardware then sure it might be easy to pick Saban. If you look deeper however I'll take TO. Every time.

I think I agreed that Osborne very well could be the better coach, like I said, accomplishments definitely matter.

You could also say that Osborne was 3 crappy calls away from having 4 undefeated national championship teams in 5 years and a sick team away from playing for 5 in 5 years. All without the help of ESPN.

Didn't Osborne inherit a program that won two national titles in a row? I never knew nebraska was awful before Osborne became coach. Also, we don't get the elite coaches because we don't want to pay them top dollar. Would you rather take a job that pays you 6 million a year or two million a year?

Osborne got the good fortune to keep all of his assistants yet look at how many assistants Saban has lost! It's impressive that Alabama is still as dominant as they are with the carousel of assistant coaches. Both are amazing coaches but I'm unbiased and will pick Saban. Plus the rules today make it harder to win than it did when Osborne was a coach.

I say Osborne was the better coach. Don't care if anyone has a problem with it, and yes, I am a homer. What kind of nonsense is that? I'm supposed to be objective or something? If objectivity ruled college football we'd all be fans of whatever team won the championship that year. I'm a Nebraska fan, so I'm going to pick Nebraska 10/10 times.

I'd take Osborne's best team against Saban's best team any day of the week. I'd take an all-star team from Osborne vs. a Saban all-star team, too.

• Fire 2

Didn't Osborne inherit a program that won two national titles in a row? I never knew nebraska was awful before Osborne became coach. Also, we don't get the elite coaches because we don't want to pay them top dollar. Would you rather take a job that pays you 6 million a year or two million a year?

During those two national championships who was coaching the offense?

• Fire 1