Tom Osborne vs. Nick Saban

dvdcrr

Ha ha! That was Saban's very first game at Michigan State. Heck, it was his first game as HC of a power five conference (as they are now known). He was at Toledo the year before. A very inauspicious start for Saban. Starting with the kickoff where Sparty lost the ball three seconds into the game. :lol:

Announcer (at 3:30): "There is absolutely nothing that this Nebraska defense can throw at him (Tony Banks) that he hasn't seen already." LOL

As I remember, this game was supposed to be an early test for NU this year. There was some hype with Nick Saban he was a nationally known name, and a rising star. I know this because I knew who he was and I was a 15 year old kid from the sandhills without internet

Also, Osborne was every bit the coach Saban is. Every bit, and nicer to boot. You think Saban gets to 34-1 at Nebraska without NCAA sanctions? I don't...

What do you think TO would have done with ten years at ALABAMA? forget about it.

As I remember, this game was supposed to be an early test for NU this year. There was some hype with Nick Saban he was a nationally known name, and a rising star. I know this because I knew who he was and I was a 15 year old kid from the sandhills without internet

Also, Osborne was every bit the coach Saban is. Every bit, and nicer to boot. You think Saban gets to 34-1 at Nebraska without NCAA sanctions? I don't...

What do you think TO would have done with ten years at ALABAMA? forget about it.

Saban hasn't had sanctions yet, has he? Also, look what Osborne inherited then look what saban inherited. Saban inherited a mess and Osborne did not.

Also, you're extremely nieve if you think Osborne didn't do shady stuff. Look how much stuff you could get away with back then.

Saban hasn't had sanctions yet, has he? Also, look what Osborne inherited then look what saban inherited. Saban inherited a mess and Osborne did not.
No but has he tried to win at Nebraska? Also how would you like a guy that told you you had a scholarship, then told someone else they had the same one, then yanked it from you? Might not be illegal but it sure isn't right.
  • Fire 1

I am looking at this match-up as "football" coach only: recruiting, strategy, game management, roster management, development, practice styles, knowledge of rulebook and all its loopholes, etc. To me, as much as it pains me, it's easy to say Saban is hands down a better "football" coach. He has 5 National Championships at two different schools and counting. He has the best of the best high school prospects lining up to play for his machine. He loses coaches and just keeps going, some thought losing Kirby Smart would hurt. In actuality, Saban is probably responsible for making Smart look good.

Now, as far as "coach" in the general sense: role model, mentor, faithful, lifecoach. I would not hesitate to have my son play for Osborne over Saban. Not a second thought!

..that settled nothing :)