Final AP Poll

Mavric

No team with a bad loss deserves to be ranked in the final poll. Makes sense.

And that is exactly what anyone said? Makes sense.So you believe this team was deserving of a top 25 final ranking?
You're lying to yourself if you think every one of those teams "deserves" to be in the Top 25 but, using the same metrics, Nebraska absolutely doesn't. Especially since, being the third team in "others receiving votes" we're basically ranked 28th.
I'm not saying any of them "deserves" it. Just stating the obvious that we do not. Don't see any sense in crying over a few possible mistakes in the poll until we clearly belong there.
I don't see any sense in whining that we don't belong when there isn't a clear case that anyone past the top ten belongs.

You don't want me to cry, then stop whining.

Outside the top ten, who really cares?

This is the right idea, except outside first... nothing else matters. No one wants to be remembered for being the first place loser.

Florida, at 9-4, ranked 14th. LSU 13th at 8-4. Virginia Tech at 10-4, ranked 16th. Colorado at 9-4 ranked 17th. Every team 20-25 has four losses with the exception of SDSU at 11-3.

I understand the concern here. But where I fail to make the connection is when I try to identify a team in that top 25 that we would have competed with. I come up with possibly SDSU and Wisconsin, after that I'm getting bubkus. Possibly a couple others in the first half of the season but I did say "competed". Actually winning makes it even tougher.

We competed with #21 which was a top 10 team at 1 point with a back up walk-on QB, # 1 or 2 WR, and starting Safety out.

In that case OSU should be around 26-29 range?

Read the context of the posts around that before taking mine at face value. But yes, that does appear to be what some are saying in this thread.

I do not take any thing here at face value. I was just adding my 2 cents which isn't worth a cent.

And that is exactly what anyone said? Makes sense.So you believe this team was deserving of a top 25 final ranking?
You're lying to yourself if you think every one of those teams "deserves" to be in the Top 25 but, using the same metrics, Nebraska absolutely doesn't. Especially since, being the third team in "others receiving votes" we're basically ranked 28th.
I'm not saying any of them "deserves" it. Just stating the obvious that we do not. Don't see any sense in crying over a few possible mistakes in the poll until we clearly belong there.
I don't see any sense in whining that we don't belong when there isn't a clear case that anyone past the top ten belongs.

Outside the top ten, who really cares?

This is the right idea, except outside first... nothing else matters. No one wants to be remembered for being the first place loser.

Inside the top ten and Nebraska either had a really good year, or it went really horribly wrong for a lot of other teams.

Okay. I won't whine and you don't cry. I'll piss & moan and you can stomp & cuss. :cheers

At least we agree on the following.

I agree with that, and I don't really care too much if we're ranked 18th or 28th. Anything past the top ten likely means no conference championship, probably not even a division championship, and at that point you're mostly passing out participation ribbons.

• Fire 1

Florida, at 9-4, ranked 14th. LSU 13th at 8-4. Virginia Tech at 10-4, ranked 16th. Colorado at 9-4 ranked 17th. Every team 20-25 has four losses with the exception of SDSU at 11-3.

I understand the concern here. But where I fail to make the connection is when I try to identify a team in that top 25 that we would have competed with. I come up with possibly SDSU and Wisconsin, after that I'm getting bubkus. Possibly a couple others in the first half of the season but I did say "competed". Actually winning makes it even tougher.

We competed with #21 which was a top 10 team at 1 point with a back up walk-on QB, # 1 or 2 WR, and starting Safety out.

We didn't play #21 Louisville. If you mean #22 Tennessee and want to call what we did in our bowl game competing...well, I ....am speechless. I mean we can play the excuse game all day long. At one point we were tied with #6 tOSU, and we were 7-0 and ranked in the top ten......before we actually played anybody. Sorry, I'm whining again. Just getting sick of being nowhere near where this program should be. The last 16 years is wearing on me hard. We have better talent than our on field performance indicates and our talent is still miles away from the top programs.