The Trump presser fiasco

So far the "two branches" haven't exactly done much to manage him. Hoping that you are correct and they step up BB, but right now there are quite a few cowards (imo).

To early. He isn't in office yet. There will be a honeymoon period and they will pass things they both want - we'll see how long the honeymoon lasts. Trump doesn't have the support from his party that the previous 3 repub presidents had.

• Fire 1

I didn't vote for Trump. I can't stand Trump. I STILL can't believe that doofus was elected President.... BUT, if the next 4-8 years are anything like that press conference today, I refuse not to be entertained by it.

I think this is key. Americans are best entertained and least informed.

This is not a reality show. This is not normal. This is downright scary.

The first bolded statement is a broad brush to paint over 300 million people, and frankly, it's just bullsh#t. The second bolded statement is far-left hyperbole. I dislike Trump as much as anybody, and the latest news is alarming, but it's far from scary. What do you think is going to happen? The other two branches of government are only going to let Trump go so far. I'm of the mind that one man can't destroy our country. Trump is the perfect example of why we have three branches of government.

Yes, one good think is that were plenty of anti-trumpers in the Rep ranks. They may for the sake of the party display more 'balls' than what they have shown previously. If Trump goes bad, I think they won't protect him at all costs as the Dems did wt Clinton in 1998.

To many of the repubs in Congress have greater political aspirations and they won't attach their rope to Trump. They will work with Trump to pass what they mutually want, but I think they will oppose him on several issues.

Exactly, in a game (politics) where self-interest usually wins out, I don't see too many members of Congress going down with the Trump ship, if it does indeed sink.

• Fire 1

The first bolded statement is a broad brush to paint over 300 million people, and frankly, it's just bullsh#t.

I agree. I think it's only fair to use to describe the people who actually treat this as entertainment and theater. That's far from everybody, although it's far from nobody, also.

I think any understanding of history has to acknowledge the power singularly inspirational leaders have wielded. I certainly don't think it's far-fetched to say that one branch of government, if determined enough, can twist power structures in order to dominate, and dismantle their opposition. At the least it ought to be recognized that this is being attempted. If it does indeed come to pass, complacency will have played a large role in it.

The first bolded statement is a broad brush to paint over 300 million people, and frankly, it's just bullsh#t.

I agree. I think it's only fair to use to describe the people who actually treat this as entertainment and theater. That's far from everybody, although it's far from nobody, also.

I think any understanding of history has to acknowledge the power singularly inspirational leaders have wielded. I certainly don't think it's far-fetched to say that one branch of government, if determined enough, can twist power structures in order to dominate, and dismantle their opposition. At the least it ought to be recognized that this is being attempted. If it does indeed come to pass, complacency will have played a large role in it.

I think our saving grace may be that Trump is too lazy/incompetent to pull this off.

I think our saving grace may be that Trump is too lazy/incompetent to pull this off.

I agree about him personally, but I'm quite nervous that he's attracted some pretty competent people to his cause who can pull this off. He's demonstrated the power of what he's doing and as long as that remains true -- which depends on us the people, not him -- such people will be drawn to this like moths to a flame.

We can't lose any more people than we already have to this lunacy :(

I didn't vote for Trump. I can't stand Trump. I STILL can't believe that doofus was elected President.... BUT, if the next 4-8 years are anything like that press conference today, I refuse not to be entertained by it.

The first bolded statement is a broad brush to paint over 300 million people, and frankly, it's just bullsh#t. The second bolded statement is far-left hyperbole. I dislike Trump as much as anybody, and the latest news is alarming, but it's far from scary. What do you think is going to happen? The other two branches of government are only going to let Trump go so far. I'm of the mind that one man can't destroy our country. Trump is the perfect example of why we have three branches of government.

http://www.businessinsider.com/poll-many-americans-dont-know-basic-facts-about-government-2014-9

"The poll showed only 36% of Americans could name all three branches of the government and 35% couldn't name any of them. It also found over 60% of Americans don't know which political party controls the House of Representatives and the US Senate."

Seems pretty uninformed to me.

So you're saying a President Elect being compromised by a foreign government isn't scary to you?

I think the American Populace is too lazy or incompetent to hold him or anyone in his administration accountable.

http://www.businessinsider.com/poll-many-americans-dont-know-basic-facts-about-government-2014-9

"The poll showed only 36% of Americans could name all three branches of the government and 35% couldn't name any of them. It also found over 60% of Americans don't know which political party controls the House of Representatives and the US Senate."

So you're saying a President Elect being compromised by a foreign government isn't scary to you?

You're right. The greatest, and most prosperous nation to ever occupy the planet is full of morons.

It's alarming, and should be dealt with. It won't have any affect on how I run my business, and it won't keep me up at night, so no it's not scary to me.

BB, I think it's hard to figure out whether you're saying "this is a big deal" or whether you're saying "this doesn't even register on any scale of importance." Actually, it seems like you aren't especially interested in the answer to that question, and suggesting that people in general shouldn't be too caught up in it either. I'm not saying you have to be -- just trying to describe what it is you are saying here.

You're right. The greatest, and most prosperous nation to ever occupy the planet is full of morons.

It's alarming, and should be dealt with. It won't have any affect on how I run my business, and it won't keep me up at night, so no it's not scary to me.

Just pointing out the stats. Here's another gem.

https://www.goacta.org/news/survey_half_of_americans_dont_know_when_the_civil_war_took_place

Well I am glad you are fortunate enough to not be afraid. However I'm sure you have the capacity to appreciate that for some of us, this is scary.

I am in an industry that has been and can be greatly affected negatively by idiotic decisions made in government.

Believe me, this mess greatly concerns me.