The Trump presser fiasco

We got into this mess by people not being concerned, by being uninformed voters, by being distracted by shiny things rather than actually researching the candidate they voted for.

So yeah, I don't think "morons" is too far off describing that kind of person. The vote for Trump was certainly moronic.

Smart people can do dumb things. Doing a dumb thing doesn't necessarily make a person dumb, but it doesn't help define them as smart.

• Fire 2

BB, I think it's hard to figure out whether you're saying "this is a big deal" or whether you're saying "this doesn't even register on any scale of importance." Actually, it seems like you aren't especially interested in the answer to that question, and suggesting that people in general shouldn't be too caught up in it either. I'm not saying you have to be -- just trying to describe what it is you are saying here.

You're probably right, I'll try to explain.

I fully acknowledge that it is important, and alarming that our PEOTUS may have potentially been compromised by a foreign government. My lack of fear with the given matter stems from the confidence I have that the situation will be handled accordingly by the other branches of government, if the allegations do in fact prove to be true.

If I thought that the allegations were true, and they would go unpunished by the rest of the government; or if I thought that he would get to serve his term unimpeded while continuing to associate with Russia in a similar manner, then I suppose that would 'scare' me a little bit.

• Fire 2

BB, I think it's hard to figure out whether you're saying "this is a big deal" or whether you're saying "this doesn't even register on any scale of importance." Actually, it seems like you aren't especially interested in the answer to that question, and suggesting that people in general shouldn't be too caught up in it either. I'm not saying you have to be -- just trying to describe what it is you are saying here.

I fully acknowledge that it is important, and alarming that our PEOTUS may have potentially been compromised by a foreign government. My lack of fear with the given matter stems from the confidence I have that the situation will be handled accordingly by the other branches of government, if the allegations do in fact prove to be true.

If I thought that the allegations were true, and they would go unpunished by the rest of the government; or if I thought that he would get to serve his term unimpeded while continuing to associate with Russia in a similar manner, then I suppose that would 'scare' me a little bit.

GOP leaders not exactly stepping up:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/powerpost/congressional-leaders-deal-with-fallout-over-allegations-that-russia-gathered-compromising-information-on-trump/2017/01/11/46378186-d7fb-11e6-b8b2-cb5164beba6b_story.html?tid=ss_tw-amp&utm_term=.194014e96eed

GOP leaders not exactly stepping up:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/powerpost/congressional-leaders-deal-with-fallout-over-allegations-that-russia-gathered-compromising-information-on-trump/2017/01/11/46378186-d7fb-11e6-b8b2-cb5164beba6b_story.html?tid=ss_tw-amp&utm_term=.194014e96eed

That's disappointing, but like I said earlier; self-interest is prevalent in Washington. If Trump goes down, Rep. politicians will be jumping off the Trump train as quick as they got on after the election.

Trump: I won.

Nothing along these lines has happened for two reasons. First, congressional Republicans seem to have uniformly reached the conclusion that the political costs of fighting with Trump exceed the political risk that they will end up being dragged down by his corruption when scandal erupts. Second, congressional Republicans seem to have universally reached the moral judgment that preventing the wholesale corruption of the federal government isn’t particularly important in the grand scheme of things.

Trump: I won.

Nothing along these lines has happened for two reasons. First, congressional Republicans seem to have uniformly reached the conclusion that the political costs of fighting with Trump exceed the political risk that they will end up being dragged down by his corruption when scandal erupts. Second, congressional Republicans seem to have universally reached the moral judgment that preventing the wholesale corruption of the federal government isnt particularly important in the grand scheme of things.

God...if the second point is true, then Trump voters will have significantly harmed the country, most likely irrevocably, until it collapses.

And with all of this going on and Trump staying in power...I wonder if we'll see if this will help the West Coast exit folks gain steam.

And it isn't just the Trump voters VV ... I'd blame anybody who voted for a republican to represent them in Congress. Those are the people we should be counting on to represent our interests locally, stand up for the "real" people. Them failing to do so is more of a flagrant offense than Trump imo.

• Fire 1

Can somebody please tell me what all the folders of papers where that he had next to him? Was it ever referred to?

Paperwork regarding his transfer of power to his sons, relating to his business.

That is the explanation they gave, but the reporters weren't allowed to look at them. After the presser was over, one guy took these pictures:

A very apt question is asked in the twitter thread, because you can't see much of these papers. Here's the explanation. It's plausible, but without a fully-opened page, it's not "proof" of anything.

MpgdYgQ.png