The Republican Utopia

16 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

Both of you are right.

TG is right about the motivation.  Moiraine is right that it's down right pathetic.  I understand Graham's motivation.  He went about handling the situation in a very bad way.

Bingo -  the guy handled it wrong - I'm not condoning the way he handled it.  I'm addressing the overall philosophy.  He was wrong in banning the reporter -& esp in the way he did so. He is a public guy and this would have been a public situation.  

Personally I've seen guys at work falsely accused (proven) thus the Graham rule can provide some disciplined protection but it isn't fault proof.  You can't live in a bubble and to RD's point it could occur wt someone of the same sex also.  The main thing is that both sexes must use proper discretion but at the same time you cannot discriminate against someone who has a right to do their job as the reporter did. 

28 minutes ago, Danny Bateman said:

Ummm... this means a Democratic president can use executive orders to overturn Citizens United, end gerrymandering and add a public option to the ACA, right?

Bingo. The erosion of our checks and balances ushers in the next Presidents doing even more authoritarian things.

• Plus1 1
10 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

Oh for f#&%s sake.  Trump wouldn't know how to treat someone with respect if he was forced to.

Stuff like this makes me wish someone like Bernie would win.

I'm tired of the same small circles of people rubbing elbows and primarily concerned with having each other's backs while the rest of us get f#cking breadcrumbs.

You know, busting up the same old Washington cliques, like Trump claimed he was going to do, before he just decided to mostly leave things the same and pump in his own corrupt cronies.

• Plus1 2

21 minutes ago, Danny Bateman said:

Stuff like this makes me wish someone like Bernie would win.

I'm tired of the same small circles of people rubbing elbows and primarily concerned with having each other's backs while the rest of us get f#cking breadcrumbs.

You know, busting up the same old Washington cliques, like Trump claimed he was going to do, before he just decided to mostly leave things the same and pump in his own corrupt cronies.

Welcome to the dark side:lol:

• Plus1 1
30 minutes ago, Frott Scost said:

Welcome to the dark side:lol:

There's upsides and downsides to him just like any other candidate.

But one of the distinct upsides would be disrupting the ruling caste of people which seem to perpetually run Washington. In a way that is far less toxic and damaging than Trump has done. Perhaps we'd fill important positions with - gasp - good, qualified people.

• Plus1 2
1 hour ago, Danny Bateman said:

But one of the distinct upsides would be disrupting the ruling caste of people which seem to perpetually run Washington. In a way that is far less toxic and damaging than Trump has done. Perhaps we'd fill important positions with - gasp - good, qualified people.

That's one of the main reasons Bernie tops my list.

1 hour ago, Danny Bateman said:

32 minutes ago, RedDenver said:

That's one of the main reasons Bernie tops my list.

Pardon me if I'm a little (a lot) burned out on someone who claimed to be able to "drain the swamp" in Washington.

54 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

Pardon me if I'm a little (a lot) burned out on someone who claimed to be able to "drain the swamp" in Washington. 

You honestly think you can compare the integrity of Bernie & Trump?

I get that the taglines are essentially the same. But I trust Sanders a hell of a lot more than Trump to actually go about it in an honest manner. It was clear to anyone with a functioning brain who Trump was going in 2016: He was a con man selling empty words.

• Plus1 2