The Republican Utopia

4 minutes ago, teachercd said:

My bro-in-law is SORT of that guy.  He totally is scared of banks and pretty much hides all his money in a safe.  But he is also the most helpful person I have ever met, so it is kind of an even trade.

Some of the kindest people I know are willing to vote for people and policies that aren't kind at all. When they find out the talking point they've been repeating isn't true at all, they apologize, saying "I didn't know that." They claim they just don't like politics at all, and that's honest. They are low-information voters, believing themselves independent and non-partisan. But they will still vote, often against their own self-interest. 

My wife and her sisters walk their mother through issue by issue and Mom comes out looking like a Democrat. But there's no way she's voting for Joe Biden -- or any Democrat to be honest. She's a Republican, like everyone in her gated Florida community. Also, her husband is a gun-hording Nazi. He will try to hold himself together for a two hour dinner, but he is always poking around the edges of an inflammatory argument. 

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1
  • TBH 1

1 hour ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

Some of the kindest people I know are willing to vote for people and policies that aren't kind at all. When they find out the talking point they've been repeating isn't true at all, they apologize, saying "I didn't know that." They claim they just don't like politics at all, and that's honest. They are low-information voters, believing themselves independent and non-partisan. But they will still vote, often against their own self-interest. 

My wife and her sisters walk their mother through issue by issue and Mom comes out looking like a Democrat. But there's no way she's voting for Joe Biden -- or any Democrat to be honest. She's a Republican, like everyone in her gated Florida community. Also, her husband is a gun-hording Nazi. He will try to hold himself together for a two hour dinner, but he is always poking around the edges of an inflammatory argument. 

Oh my god that sounds amazingly hilarious… Does booze help or hurt during the two hours?

• Plus1 1
41 minutes ago, teachercd said:

Oh my god that sounds amazingly hilarious… Does booze help or hurt during the two hours?

Hard to say. I'm usually drinking more than he is.

I've told stories about him before. We call him "two hour Bob" because after he holds it together for two hours at dinner, he follows you into the kitchen where he feels less restricted in discussing white nationalism. 

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

Hard to say. I'm usually drinking more than he is.

I've told stories about him before. We call him "two hour Bob" because after he holds it together for two hours at dinner, he follows you into the kitchen where he feels less restricted in discussing white nationalism. 

Hahaha!

My brother in law just tells me how banks are going to fail and all my money will be gone...I don't think he has a debit card.

• Plus1 1