The Republican Utopia

45 minutes ago, Archy1221 said:

Did they vote to cut MOW?  I’m curious, what’s going to be the new MOW budget compared to the old one, specifically please.   If it’s already been voted on to cut a specific program, there should be a specific amount next to it.   

Don’t worry. I’m sure you’ll come up with some angle to defend your party of scum bastards.

• Plus1 1
  • TBH 2

1 hour ago, knapplc said:

I believe this could also be "woke."

Woke

verb

1. Alert or aware of racial prejudice or discrimination.

2. Alert or aware of the evilness of the GOP.

adjective

1. The opposite of anything favored by Republicans.

• TBH 1
36 minutes ago, JJ Husker said:

Don’t worry. I’m sure you’ll come up with some angle to defend your party of scum bastards.

I won’t worry.  I’m sure you will find some angle to distort what’s actually happening:thumbs

37 minutes ago, JJ Husker said:

Feel free to show the work Joe didn’t though!

• TBH 1
1 hour ago, Archy1221 said:

I won’t worry.  I’m sure you will find some angle to distort what’s actually happening:thumbs

Feel free to show the work Joe didn’t though!

I feel comfortable in accepting that cutting appropriations spending by 22%, from 2024 levels to 2022 levels, for everything except defense spending would pretty severely cut MoW’s funding. Inflation hasn’t only affected you and me, it is also driving up costs for everything our government needs to spend money on.

So yeah, 217 Republicans voted to cut funding for MoW’s. If you have specific numbers to prove that is not the intention, please show your work. And you (should) know as well as I do that Republican’s typical mode of operation is to simply and blindly look at only the total dollar end result. They ignore the human impacts as they blow hard about balanced budgets, debt ceilings etc. Odd thing is, they have a much worse track record of increasing the deficit. These things are only a problem for them when a Dem is in the WH. It’s political theatre.

Why is the debt ceiling a problem for them now when it wasn’t while d******d Trump was in office?

• Plus1 2
  • TBH 2
24 minutes ago, JJ Husker said:

I feel comfortable in accepting that cutting appropriations spending by 22%, from 2024 levels to 2022 levels, for everything except defense spending would pretty severely cut MoW’s funding. Inflation hasn’t only affected you and me, it is also driving up costs for everything our government needs to spend money on.

So yeah, 217 Republicans voted to cut funding for MoW’s. If you have specific numbers to prove that is not the intention, please show your work. And you (should) know as well as I do that Republican’s typical mode of operation is to simply and blindly look at only the total dollar end result. They ignore the human impacts as they blow hard about balanced budgets, debt ceilings etc. Odd thing is, they have a much worse track record of increasing the deficit. These things are only a problem for them when a Dem is in the WH. It’s political theatre.

Why is the debt ceiling a problem for them now when it wasn’t while d******d Trump was in office?

We used to accept the GOP as the party of business. They were the Dad, trying to reign in the free-spending, free-thinking youngsters with pragmatic financial advice and personal responsibility.

But can you find anything from Republicans that shows a business-like approach to anything? Real numbers? Prudent analysis?  Accountability?  Are they willing to act like real world grown-ups about anything?  Do they even want America to succeed? 

• Plus1 1
  • TBH 2

4 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

We used to accept the GOP as the party of business. They were the Dad, trying to reign in the free-spending, free-thinking youngsters with pragmatic financial advice and personal responsibility.

But can you find anything from Republicans that shows a business-like approach to anything? Real numbers? Prudent analysis?  Accountability?  Are they willing to act like real world grown-ups about anything?  Do they even want America to succeed? 

That would be 6 hard no’s.

I still believe our government spends and wastes way too much money but it takes work, thought and caring to arrive at where spending can and should be cut. But our politicians, both parties, don’t want to work or think, they want sound bites and policy positions that play well with their supporters. They are lazy, greedy and entitled. The difference is, democrats will at least take caring, compassion and doing the right thing into account. Republicans and their supporters go out of their way to harm large swaths of people that need help the most. There is enormous and endless proof of this.

• Plus1 2
  • Haha 1
  • TBH 1
1 hour ago, Archy1221 said:

So you think funding increased 22% from ‘22 to ‘23? 

That has nothing to do with anything and is the wrong question.

What we know is that they voted to cap spending in the 2024 budget at 2022 levels for everything except military spending. It would not surprise me to see that inflation has accounted for a 22% increase over those 2 years.

Another thing to keep in mind, it’s not necessarily a straight line from those cuts directly to meals on wheels. 

Meals on Wheels, you see, isn't a federal program. It's a network of thousands of independently run groups that receive varying amounts of government aid – or none at all. (Some rely entirely on private donations). Together, they deliver hot meals to 2.4 million seniors each year. Some of these programs get federal funding. But by far, the biggest source of federal funding for Meals on Wheels programs comes from another source: the Older Americans Act Nutrition Program, which is run by the Department Of Health and Human Services. In the aggregate, Bertolette says Meals on Wheels programs across the country rely on the HHS program for 35 percent of their funding.

The stuff I copied pasted is from 2017 as I could find nothing more current. But there is this thing called logic and common sense. If MoW gets 35% of their funding from the feds, and 217 republicans just voted to rollback spending to levels 2 years prior (the claimed 22% cut) then that puts a pretty big dent MoW funding. Are you not capable of connecting the dots, or are you just not trying to?

• Plus1 1
  • TBH 1
15 minutes ago, Archy1221 said:

Not true

Because you say so? :lol:
Here’s one of your favorites lately; show your work.

I’ve stumbled across about a dozen news articles that all claim that, and none that dispute it. But I’m sure my news feed is not…um….how do I say it, quite like yours as I’m not frequenting heavily biased left, or right, leaning sources.

• TBH 2

Just now, JJ Husker said:

Because you say so? :lol:
Here’s one of your favorites lately; show your work.

I’ve stumbled across about a dozen news articles that all claim that, and none that dispute it. But I’m sure my news feed is not…um….how do I say it, quite like yours as I’m not frequenting heavily biased left, or right, leaning sources.

You ever heard of discretionary and non discretionary spending?  

• Plus1 1
16 minutes ago, Archy1221 said:

Re-Read your articles with those two things in mind.  Or show me an article that says all spending except military will be cut like you claimed earlier and I said was wrong

I’m sure you won’t like this source…

https://www.whitehouse.gov/omb/briefing-room/2023/04/20/congressional-republicans-legislation-22-cuts-that-would-harm-american-families-seniors-and-veterans/

but there it is in writing. Prove it’s not true.

@Archy1221

Here’s another

https://www.cbsnews.com/amp/news/house-republicans-debt-ceiling-bill-vote/

I mean sure, the Republican bill doesn’t specify where the cuts are coming from specifically. That’s part of their game and yes both sides will twist the unknowns to their benefit. But the cuts would definitely come from somewhere. So you tell me what they’re cutting and what they’re not.

Fortunately we have these things called experience, track record, and latest moves. And then some of us employ common sense and logic to read between the lines. A person would have to have their head pretty far up their own a$$ to not realize where and who the republicans proposed cuts are going to negatively affect. But you can rest easy in your GOP lounge chair because we know they won’t be costing the rich anything. I’m sure they’ll be getting a whole new round of tax breaks if they can find 3 more poor, elderly or disabled persons to f#&% over.

• TBH 1