Denying science in the classroom

I understand why you're confused, Landlord. I was there.

You're projecting again. It's coming off as extremely patronizing. Believing the Bible was written in different styles and not all of it is to be taken literally isn't the giant leap in a person's mindset you're making it out to be. The way you felt about it when you questioned it and then stopped believing in it doesn't apply to everyone.

• Fire 2

If you're not aware, that is really condescending. You assume others are "confused" or "struggling" with their faith because of your personal beliefs and biases, while basically ignoring what it is others are telling you. I don't think LOMS is confused and I'm sure not. The only confusion I have surrounding this issue is some of the logic leaps you are making.

If you're telling me the Bible is useful as the foundation of a religion, that doesn't make sense.

It's incredibly useful for that exact purpose, like beyond useful for that exact purpose. Lol.

I think the point is; if the bible itself says it is to be taken literally, but it's stories don't jive with the real world it's foundation as an infallible religious text is built on sand. If one subject xan be questioned, then all of them are in question.
  • Fire 2

If you're not aware, that is really condescending. You assume others are "confused" or "struggling" with their faith because of your personal beliefs and biases, while basically ignoring what it is others are telling you. I don't think LOMS is confused and I'm sure not. The only confusion I have surrounding this issue is some of the logic leaps you are making.

Exactly. It's obnoxious. I've enjoyed this conversation immensely and am completely at peace with the idea that I don't know everything.

If you're telling me the Bible is useful as the foundation of a religion, that doesn't make sense.

It's incredibly useful for that exact purpose, like beyond useful for that exact purpose. Lol.
I think the point is; if the bible itself says it is to be taken literally, but it's stories don't jive with the real world it's foundation as an infallible religious text is built on sand. If one subject xan be questioned, then all of them are in question.

Religious texts are always in question, by their nature. It's difficult to impossible to back up the text with scientific evidence. It's up to people to decide for themselves. If I wanted to I could decide to only believe in the Gospel and start my own branch of Christianity based on that. The Catholics and Mormons have their own books that I've never read, so are those 2 groups going to hell or am I? Or is it okay to get some stuff wrong? I think it's the latter.

Religious texts are always in question, by their nature. It's difficult to impossible to back up the text with scientific evidence. It's up to people to decide for themselves. If I wanted to I could decide to only believe in the Gospel and start my own branch of Christianity based on that. The Catholics and Mormons have their own books that I've never read, so are those 2 groups going to hell or am I? Or is it okay to get some stuff wrong? I think it's the latter.

I think the bible says it's not ok to get it wrong though, right? I know it's hypothetical; but if you start a new religion based on the New Testament only, that's not going to jive with all its references to the Old Testament. And now man has created the religion and not god. The religion has become the crutch for the belief system of the individual(s).

That hasn't stopped millions of people from dying or killing based off its many interpretations.

People are stupid and horrible. It's not religion's fault.
Idk... god told Abraham amd David to do some f'd up sh#t. He also f'd Job over.

That hasn't stopped millions of people from dying or killing based off its many interpretations.

Idk... god told Abraham and David to do some f'd up sh#t. He also f'd Job and the Egyptians over

Worked the super regional wrestling tournament this week end (state qualifying). One wrestler was up 7-0, clearly the better athlete. Pulls a bone-head move and gets pinned. Fails to make it to state. After the hand shake he storms off the mat slams open the door and runs outside.

Relevance?

He was from a Catholic school. Made a big show about kneeling and praying before the match.

What was his prayer? I would think that the traditional "Lord, I am your instrument. Use me as you see fit to further your plans." would not have resulted in his post match actions. Obviously then God's plan was for him to lose by doing a stupid move. True, people are not perfect and maybe God's plan will come to him later.

His actions, to me, seems like he prayed "Lord, help me to drive that son of a bitch down into the ground for you"

Religion is the root cause. It plants the idea's into people's heads.

Radical Islamic terrorism wouldn't exist without religion. The westboro baptist church wouldn't exist without religion, etc.

And I know WBC hasn't killed anyone. Just a hate group using free speech to their benefit.

• Fire 2

Religion is the root cause. It plants the idea's into people's heads.

Radical Islamic terrorism wouldn't exist without religion. The westboro baptist church wouldn't exist without religion, etc.

And I know WBC hasn't killed anyone. Just a hate group using free speech to their benefit.

Take religion out of the equation and people won't stop doing bad things. Religion just puts a different spin on the action. It's an enabler of actions, but in the absence of religion people will just find another enabler.

• Fire 2