3-4 defense “prototypes” vs our starters

After reading up on the 3-4 scheme I figured it would be interesting to see how what experts consider to be ideal player traits for each position lineup with our first depth chart released for spring. I only did the front 7 since the secondary prototypes don’t seem to be as different between the two defensive philosophies.

Forewarning – this website lists ideal prototypes for the NFL, so take that into account. Also I am aware that Diaco will not run the standard 3-4 and so this needs to be kept in perspective. I have literally no motivation of making a good or bad point I just thought it would be interesting to see.

Formatted as: PositionIdealour listed starter(s)

Defensive End 6’3 300lb6’4 270lb, 6-2 300lb

Nose Tackle - 6’2-6’4 350lb6’5 315lb

Outside LB6’3 225lb6’1 235, 6’5 255

Inside LB6’3 240lb6’1 230, 6’3 240

Edit: The prototypes also listed additional characteristics like 40 times and 225 bench press reps. I couldn't find much of that for our players though so I left it out. If anyone knows where I can find that info for all our starters I will include it.

• Fire 3

Because 225 is extraordinary small.

Von Miller is 250. DeMarcus Ware is 260. That's about the range for a prototype 34 OLB.

I would say a guy at 250+ on one side and a guy around 225+ on the other sounds ideal to me. A cover guy and a rush guy. Deonne Bucannon on one side DeMarcus Ware on the other

Von Miller is 250. DeMarcus Ware is 260. That's about the range for a prototype 34 OLB.

I would say a guy at 250+ on one side and a guy around 225+ on the other sounds ideal to me. A cover guy and a rush guy. Deonne Bucannon on one side DeMarcus Ware on the other
bucannon plays inside backer not outside
  • Fire 1

Prototype is just the ideal mold for the position. Those guys you listed aren't prototypes they are outliers at the position due to their physical freakishness.

After reading up on the 3-4 scheme I figured it would be interesting to see how what experts consider to be ideal player traits for each position lineup with our first depth chart released for spring. I only did the front 7 since the secondary prototypes dont seem to be as different between the two defensive philosophies.

Forewarning this website lists ideal prototypes for the NFL, so take that into account. Also I am aware that Diaco will not run the standard 3-4 and so this needs to be kept in perspective. I have literally no motivation of making a good or bad point I just thought it would be interesting to see.

Formatted as: Position Ideal our listed starter(s)

Defensive End 63 300lb 64 270lb, 6-2 300lb

Nose Tackle - 62-64 350lb 65 315lb

Outside LB 63 225lb 61 235, 65 255

Inside LB 63 240lb 61 230, 63 240

Edit: The prototypes also listed additional characteristics like 40 times and 225 bench press reps. I couldn't find much of that for our players though so I left it out. If anyone knows where I can find that info for all our starters I will include it.

350 is a hefty fella. Vince Wilfork is listed at 325 and he's massive. Can't imagine 350 would be ideal at any level with a few exceptions I'm sure.

I clicked through a bunch of rosters on ourlads.com and the average OLB seems to be about 235. Although there were a few in the 220's and one at 202, 225 seems rare at the college level for OLB.

Prototype is just the ideal mold for the position. Those guys you listed aren't prototypes they are outliers at the position due to their physical freakishness.

Not really. Here's a list of 3-4 OLB draft prospects. Most are above 250 and all are above 230.

• Fire 1

After reading up on the 3-4 scheme I figured it would be interesting to see how what experts consider to be ideal player traits for each position lineup with our first depth chart released for spring. I only did the front 7 since the secondary prototypes dont seem to be as different between the two defensive philosophies.

Forewarning this website lists ideal prototypes for the NFL, so take that into account. Also I am aware that Diaco will not run the standard 3-4 and so this needs to be kept in perspective. I have literally no motivation of making a good or bad point I just thought it would be interesting to see.

350 is a hefty fella. Vince Wilfork is listed at 325 and he's massive. Can't imagine 350 would be ideal at any level with a few exceptions I'm sure.

Wilfork is probably closer to 375.

Wilfork is probably closer to 375.

http://www.nfl.com/player/vincewilfork/2505916/profile

Even if they did fudge his weight by 50 pounds. That would still show even the NFL doesn't necessarily want someone 350 or more. Let alone college. There are some that can play at that weight (Damon Harrison) but most are 335 or less. 350 is just not a feasible weight to carry over a career in a majority of cases.

Dontari Poe - 346

Dan Williams - 330

Damon Harrison - 350

Brandon Williams - 335

Linval Joseph - 329

330-350 seems to be about the range for prototype nose guards.

Vince Wilfork is 325 now, but was about 375 when he was playing nose. Albert Haynesworth was an elite nose guard for a lot of years at 350.

I wouldn't say 235 for OLB or 315 for NG is too small necessarily. If you can play, you can play. It's just not prototypical.