Trumps' Taxes - Maddow has them - story at 9 EST

I'm not seeing where it's illegal for the media to release tax returns, only the preparers, government officials, or others involved in processing the tax return. Here's the US Code: https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/26/6103

This might be right. I'm pretty sure now that it's a crime to LEAK them, not for journos to publish them if they happen to come into possession of them through another source.

I'm skeptical. The point is he refused to release them. There's probably nothing extremely explosive. It's like he wanted to distract the media with something and played the "I've got a secret and I won't tell" game.

I agree - I don't think its too farfetched to think he may have even leaked them in order to distract us from something else ....

It's also sounding like the people tuning into Maddow are feeling like suckers. It's the dangerously symbiotic relationship between Trump and the media, in my opinion. They don't really care whether there's a real story here or not. They do know that this means eyeballs for them. Lots of eyeballs. For a 1040 from 2005.

Congrats, MSNBC. And congratulations, Donald Trump. Always winning the media cycle.

• Fire 2

It wouldn't be on Msnbc if it was something...

If you're being serious, then I don't think you understand how journalism works very well.

I am and I do.

There's at least a small chance that Trump 'leaked' these himself, but regardless, the media is comprised of actual individual people doing independent work. That means that there are thousands of sources with access to different things, with their own biases and motivations, and also thousands of journalists looking for scoops. It's investigative work that relies on luck and connections moreso than it does on fairness and prestige.

The implication of your sentence is that monumental news only comes from highly regarded, non-partisan sources. That's silly and demonstrably false.

Yeah, I think ZRod is right on this one. If it were an explosive story it'd be dropped in a NYT expose. Not "please tune in for an hourlong special on cable TV."

That stuff is for things like Lebron to Miami. And if all this hubub was for basically nothing, then Maddow deserves to have her credibility damaged.