Trumps' Taxes - Maddow has them - story at 9 EST

It wouldn't be on Msnbc if it was something...

If you're being serious, then I don't think you understand how journalism works very well.

I am and I do.

There's at least a small chance that Trump 'leaked' these himself, but regardless, the media is comprised of actual individual people doing independent work. That means that there are thousands of sources with access to different things, with their own biases and motivations, and also thousands of journalists looking for scoops. It's investigative work that relies on luck and connections moreso than it does on fairness and prestige.

The implication of your sentence is that monumental news only comes from highly regarded, non-partisan sources. That's silly and demonstrably false.

I agree. The guy Maddow worked with on this got them sent to him anonymously. That he chose her and MSNBC as an outlet is of no consequence, especially given that he's a reporter for the Daily Beast, itself a decidedly liberal outlet.

It's still big news, just not the bombshell some expected. Mostly because Trump and his team keep changing their story as to why he can't release them and it's fishy as hell. I believe the most recent stanza is "real Americans don't care," despite all polling saying exactly the opposite.

I'd say the barometer for whether Trump released them himself is his Twitter. Watch tonight to see if he lays into the fake news biased liberal media elites conjuring up fake stories about his tax returns and how this proves him right.

If something along those lines comes out sometime soon, it's a lock he leaked them himself.

I'd argue the opposite. If he doesn't go full-in on Maddow and the guy from the Daily Beast, I'd say it's a lock he leaked them himself.

Trump is impetuous. He doesn't hold back when SNL gigs him really well, and he wouldn't hold back if this story cut close to home.

If he doesn't say much of much about this, it implicates him in the release.

• Fire 1

Interesting theory, Knapp. I'm still more inclined to my belief, but I could see it either way. We do have an overwhelming amount of evidence that he is psychologically incapable of passing on an opportunity to promote himself and his brand any time anything could even remotely be spun to be positive for him. So there's that.

Maybe the point is he'll just feel the need to weigh in either way and we're just spinning our wheels?

So far he's mum, but his son is popping off about it. Almost certain if we give it until morning he'll have his say...

What on Earth do any of you libs think you will see in someone's income tax returns that is of any significance or interest? A tax return is a tax return is a tax return. Most people have had the opportunity to file quite a few of them themselves. For the Trumps, Clintons, Soros, etc of the world, the numbers just have more comas and digits but the basic rules are the same. You pay tax on the net taxable income you have after you compute your adjusted gross which is basically gross less deductible expenses. For folks with the millions in their numbers, the CPAs and tax attorneys do the actual compilining, bookkeeping, accounting, calculations and the returns themselves. There won't be anything in those returns of any political matter.

All this 'demanding' by the media to get rich people to release their tax returns (something that is expressly protected by federal law and it would be criminal of anyone to reveal or publish these confidential documents of course) is nothing but fluff. The media has nothing to write about and is too lazy to go out and actually be journalists so they instead choose to be talking heads that read the latest gossip and inuendo. "News" is mostly made up political slander anyway. You can almost always discern real factual newsworthy reporting from the fake stuff using common sense. If it doesn't make sense, it is not likely true. Logic will get you to the truth 90% of the time by allowing you to dismiss the BS and outrageous lies from the outset.

For example, the many leaks from the Obama administration people that have come out from various federal agencies and offices clearly prove one thing by now - there was absolutely no Russian / Trump collusion or cooperation going on regardng foreign policy, the election, the campaigns, etc. Why do we know this for sure? Because if there were anything of substance, it would have been leaked all over by now. We know they Obama administration was spying on Trump (no doubt the entire Congress and every other political candidate or person of interest as well) as proven by the FISA court warrant applications, etc).

What on Earth do any of you libs think you will see in someone's income tax returns that is of any significance or interest? A tax return is a tax return is a tax return. Most people have had the opportunity to file quite a few of them themselves. For the Trumps, Clintons, Soros, etc of the world, the numbers just have more comas and digits but the basic rules are the same. You pay tax on the net taxable income you have after you compute your adjusted gross which is basically gross less deductible expenses. For folks with the millions in their numbers, the CPAs and tax attorneys do the actual compilining, bookkeeping, accounting, calculations and the returns themselves. There won't be anything in those returns of any political matter.

All this 'demanding' by the media to get rich people to release their tax returns (something that is expressly protected by federal law and it would be criminal of anyone to reveal or publish these confidential documents of course) is nothing but fluff. The media has nothing to write about and is too lazy to go out and actually be journalists so they instead choose to be talking heads that read the latest gossip and inuendo. "News" is mostly made up political slander anyway. You can almost always discern real factual newsworthy reporting from the fake stuff using common sense. If it doesn't make sense, it is not likely true. Logic will get you to the truth 90% of the time by allowing you to dismiss the BS and outrageous lies from the outset.

For example, the many leaks from the Obama administration people that have come out from various federal agencies and offices clearly prove one thing by now - there was absolutely no Russian / Trump collusion or cooperation going on regardng foreign policy, the election, the campaigns, etc. Why do we know this for sure? Because if there were anything of substance, it would have been leaked all over by now. We know they Obama administration was spying on Trump (no doubt the entire Congress and every other political candidate or person of interest as well) as proven by the FISA court warrant applications, etc).

I didn't expect to see anything of significance from 2005. But if a tax return is a tax return, why is he being so evasive about 2015? And while yes, it's maybe more commas and digits, it also says where the income came from. The media is not demanding tax returns from rich people. It's demanding them from rich people that are running for President.

• Fire 6

I didn't expect to see anything of significance from 2005. But if a tax return is a tax return, why is he being so evasive about 2015? And while yes, it's maybe more commas and digits, it also says where the income came from. The media is not demanding tax returns from rich people. It's demanding them from rich people that are running for President.

Pretty much the crux of it, as far as I'm concerned.

Set aside the fact Trump may well have been the one to leak this. If that's the case, he almost certainly leaked the one that put him in the best light.

To borrow an argument both sides of the political spectrum are quite fond of: If you have nothing to hide, you've got nothing to worry about. Conservatives use this to justify cracking down on undocumented immigrants, and liberals use it to promote universal background checks.

Trump definitely seems like he's hiding something. That begs the question... what's he worried about?

• Fire 1