Kalu Moving to Safety

I understand trying to get the best athletes on the field. The part I don't quite understand yet is the fact they took a 4 star safety and made him a corner last yr and he struggled. Now they are taking the starting corner and moving him to safety to make room for the converted 4* safety at corner. Why not move the 4* safety to safety?? Having coached I know some kids see themselves as certain position wheN in reality they are best served at other positions... but jackson was a 4* safety was he not? Meaning he was pretty good there. Not a kid who is a 2* running back that we move to LB because that is where he will help.

Jackson was always going to be a corner.

I understand trying to get the best athletes on the field. The part I don't quite understand yet is the fact they took a 4 star safety and made him a corner last yr and he struggled. Now they are taking the starting corner and moving him to safety to make room for the converted 4* safety at corner. Why not move the 4* safety to safety?? Having coached I know some kids see themselves as certain position wheN in reality they are best served at other positions... but jackson was a 4* safety was he not? Meaning he was pretty good there. Not a kid who is a 2* running back that we move to LB because that is where he will help.

Jackson was always going to be a corner.
And also played almost only QB his senior year of HS...every little Safety that year.
  • Fire 1

The secondary is super deep and I like how we are trying to get the best players on the field. Wonder how well Dismuke is progressing, because it seems some guys in his class are surpassing him already. I am intrigued to see this move, but Lamar Jackson is not allowed to make freshman like mistakes out there on the field. He better be ready to cover some really good receivers, and I think he will be up to the challenge to be a shut down corner. Before I did not like the move of Kalu to safety, but if it is the best move for the team to succeed I am all for it. We are literally three deep at both safety spots, and three deep at the corner spots as well.

Corner- Chris Jones Eric Lee Avery Anderson

Boundary corner- L Jackson D Bootle,Boaz Joseph, E. Blades(when he gets here)

Safety- Aaron Williams, Jojo Domann, Toni Butler

Safety- Josh Kalu, K Williams, Antonio Reed

Also Marquel Dismuke, he might be in place of Toni Butler, for now we will give the edge to Toni.

The secondary is super deep and I like how we are trying to get the best players on the field. Wonder how well Dismuke is progressing, because it seems some guys in his class are surpassing him already. I am intrigued to see this move, but Lamar Jackson is not allowed to make freshman like mistakes out there on the field. He better be ready to cover some really good receivers, and I think he will be up to the challenge to be a shut down corner. Before I did not like the move of Kalu to safety, but if it is the best move for the team to succeed I am all for it. We are literally three deep at both safety spots, and three deep at the corner spots as well.

Boundary corner- L Jackson D Bootle E. Blades(when he gets here)

Safety- Aaron Williams, Antonio Reed, Toni Butler

Safety- Josh Kalu, K Williams, Jojo Domann

Also Marquel Dismuke, he might be in place of Toni Butler, for now we will give the edge to Toni.

Dwill certainly didn't come on board with the cupboard bare. A lot of those listed guys have some proving to do before they touch the field but every guy you listed has had good things said about them early in spring ball. Seems like we are in a great position to find a very competitive combination by Fall.

If Kalu to Safety sticks, what does this mean for Reed? Does he get a look at OLB?

Has he put on weight?

Also, another poster briefly brought up Marquel Dismuke. Have we heard if he is making any noise yet? Low end 4 star that got our Calabasas movement going. I know he's not as gifted as Lamar by a long shot, but still came in pretty highly touted. Does he need another year or so to crack into the defensive line up? Seems like he'd be a decent special teams option if nothing else. Think he redshirted last year as well?

If Kalu to Safety sticks, what does this mean for Reed? Does he get a look at OLB?

Has he put on weight?

Also, another poster briefly brought up Marquel Dismuke. Have we heard if he is making any noise yet? Low end 4 star that got our Calabasas movement going. I know he's not as gifted as Lamar by a long shot, but still came in pretty highly touted. Does he need another year or so to crack into the defensive line up? Seems like he'd be a decent special teams option if nothing else. Think he redshirted last year as well?

Dismuke is clearly a safety, and I think he's well thought of. I don't think it's too early to sound the alarms just because a RS Freshman (which he'll be in 2017) isn't starting or even in the 2-deep.

• Fire 1

Has he put on weight?

Dismuke is clearly a safety, and I think he's well thought of. I don't think it's too early to sound the alarms just because a RS Freshman (which he'll be in 2017) isn't starting or even in the 2-deep.

Definitely not sounding alarms, just trying to hear about a guy who has talent but hadn't heard much about

Has he put on weight?

Definitely not sounding alarms, just trying to hear about a guy who has talent but hadn't heard much about

Fair enough, but this is the kid's first spring practice (unless he was on campus last spring, I'm not sure).

Has he put on weight?

If he's still 6'2, 220, he's not that far off from what most of our other OLBs are at.

I hope there is some sort of package he is involved in. I like Reed alot. Will never forget how he played against UCLA in that Bowl Game. Nate Gerry had some really good things to say about him recently also.

Boundary corner- L Jackson D Bootle, Boaz Joseph, E. Blades(when he gets here)

Safety- Aaron Williams, Antonio Reed, Toni Butler

Safety- Josh Kalu, K Williams, Jojo Domann

Dwill certainly didn't come on board with the cupboard bare. A lot of those listed guys have some proving to do before they touch the field but every guy you listed has had good things said about them early in spring ball. Seems like we are in a great position to find a very competitive combination by Fall.

Definitely agree with you on coach Donte coming here.

I also forgot about Boaz Joseph, I would put him ahead of blades right now. Since I haven't heard much about Boaz, I would give the edge to Dicaprio Bootle for now.

With this talent you simply can't have the 10th ranked secondary in the conference like we did last year. I would say we are top 2 or 3 in the conference right now and number one in the west. This group needs to show up for games, and if they do, our defense will perform well this year.

I also forgot about Boaz Joseph, I would put him ahead of blades right now. Since I haven't heard much about Boaz, I would give the edge to Dicaprio Bootle for now.

Bootle and Eric Lee are the #2s right now.

Behind them it's pretty tough to tell. Boaz, Anderson and Blades would be the others.