Difficulty of Changing Offensive Scheme

We have gone through a couple of coaches changes with Offensive scheme changes. We hear the excuse that it take time to put the scheme in place and to recruit the right players. How valid is this excuse? Tennessee went from Peyton Manning to T-Martin and won a MNC. TO switched from a pro passing O with Humm and Ferragamo to an option attack with no performance issues. Does changing offensive philosophy really take a couple of years with sub-par performance?

• Fire 2

We have gone through a couple of changes with Offensive scheme changes. We hear the excuse that it take time to put the scheme in place and to recruit the right players. How valid is this excuse? Tennessee went from Peyton Manning to T-Martin and won a MNC. TO switched from a pro passing O with Humm and Ferragamo to an option attack with no performance issues. Does changing offensive philosophy really take a couple of years with sub-par performance?

It's not an excuse but you will continue to believe it is.

Every coaching change situation is different and each brings its own challenges. Osborne simply changed the offensive philosophy, he didn't change the entire coaching staff. He already had significant talent and depth on the team. Riley had some talent when he showed up, but very little of it in depth.

Riley is building for the long term, I get it, you don't like that because you wanted results last year. We all did, but it didn't happen. Most of us moved on.

• Fire 7

We have gone through a couple of changes with Offensive scheme changes. We hear the excuse that it take time to put the scheme in place and to recruit the right players. How valid is this excuse? Tennessee went from Peyton Manning to T-Martin and won a MNC. TO switched from a pro passing O with Humm and Ferragamo to an option attack with no performance issues. Does changing offensive philosophy really take a couple of years with sub-par performance?

It's not an excuse but you will continue to believe it is.

Every coaching change situation is different and each brings its own challenges. Osborne simply changed the offensive philosophy, he didn't change the entire coaching staff. He already had significant talent and depth on the team. Riley had some talent when he showed up, but very little of it in depth.

Riley is building for the long term, I get it, you don't like that because you wanted results last year. We all did, but it didn't happen. Most of us moved on.

We saw the same thing with Callahan. TO and Tennessee made changes in scheme without staff changes, perhaps that helps.

I think it all depends on your Coaches, QB, and maybe O-line. I think we can all agree by no means that spread offense we ran with Tommy was what they were comfortable running, but had to. Now they have people who they know can get the ball in our targets hands no doubt in my mind we are better on the offensive side of the ball.

• Fire 1

It still amazes me that Fullmer ran an offense with one of the greatest pro-passing QBs of all time (P. Manning), and won the MNC the next year with a running QB. Why would a coach recruit these two players? The same situation happened at Oklahoma. Troy Aikman is lighting up the field passing, gets hurt and Jamele Holliway ends up leading Oklahoma to the MNC. Both of these cases look like coaches getting the best available talent and morphing their system to fit the talent available.

• Fire 1

Tennessess's offense didnt change between Manning and Martin.

Manning in 1997 - 477 passes for 3819 yards and 49 rushes for -30 yards

Martin in 1998 - 267 passes for 2317 yards and 103 rushes for 287 yards

Tommie Frazier in 1995 - 163 passes for 1362 yards and 97 rushes for 604 yards.

Tee Martin seems to be in the middle of Frazier and Manning. I wonder how many of his rushing yards were sacks?

Tennessess's offense didnt change between Manning and Martin.

Manning in 1997 - 477 passes for 3819 yards and 49 rushes for -30 yards

Martin in 1998 - 267 passes for 2317 yards and 103 rushes for 287 yards

287 yards on 103 rushes is scrambling.

MichiganDad3 said: We have gone through a couple of coaches changes with Offensive scheme changes. We hear the excuse that it take time to put the scheme in place and to recruit the right players. How valid is this excuse? Tennessee went from Peyton Manning to T-Martin and won a MNC. TO switched from a pro passing O with Humm and Ferragamo to an option attack with no performance issues. Does changing offensive philosophy really take a couple of years with sub-par performance?

To answer your post, and to somewhat echo what Elf said, the situation depends on numerous factors.

1. Is a new coach coming in running systems similar to what the previous coach ran, or are they changing entirely? When Rich Rodriguez took over at Michigan and the Wolverines went from a pro-style to the spread, it was a disaster. It was a disaster in the same way that Bill Callahan took over from Frank Solich.

2. How cooperative / much buy-in will the juniors and seniors going to be with the new coaching staff? Because if the juniors and especially seniors don't "buy in" it will make for an embarrassing season with some silly losses [cough/Mike Riley 2015/Illinois/Purdue/cough].

3. There's also talent level, misses/busts in recruiting, roster depth, attrition, player eligibility...a myriad of off the field circumstances and things that can affect a team's performance under the first two or three (make or break) years under a new coach.

So to answer your query, depends on the situation and various factors at play.

I forgot bout Rich Rod. I lived in Michigan at the time and the Michigan fans make upset Husker fans seem like flower girls. Of course 3-9 and 5-7 are a lot worse than anything we have experienced in a long time. The Sparty fans loved every minute of it.

We went 5-6 and 6-7 in 2004/2015 tho