The 2020 Presidential Election - Convention & General Election

13 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

Personally, I think this is a copout attitude.  

Is there or could there be bias in anything?  Sure.  And, we should always be aware of that.  BUT...there is a huge difference between a reporter researching a story, finding the facts, reporting it with a slight slant that is many times not on purpose, and someone who purposely wakes up in the morning knowing their goal in life is to twist the story around to meet their agenda.

This is a copout attitude because it assumes everything is the purposely twisted story so why even try to distinguish between the two.

They have a story and then seek out the facts that confirm it. 

5 hours ago, teachercd said:

What about...there is something but they don't want this to help the D's get rid of Biden and bring in who they really want?  

Ohhhhhhhh...conspiracy!

A conspiracy to dump the candidate with a 5 point lead in the battleground states?  Maybe we have moles in the DNC.

6 hours ago, RedDenver said:

If the Republican-controlled Senate refuses to disclose, then I think we can safely assume they don't have the complaint.

And if it was in U Delaware's room, it has been removed by Biden's people who went in right after the first wave of accusations came out in 2019.  Really the existence of a written complaint says very little about the accuracy of the writing. 

• Plus1 1

28 minutes ago, Danny Bateman said:

How can you have this level of awareness about how politics works and yet spend the last several pages being so gobsmackingly naive about some aspects of this situation?

I'm not naive, we just disagree.

There are huge, gigantic, visible-from-space red flags about her credibility, to the point one has to legitimately gauge if she's got ulterior motives and is trying to swiftboat Biden.

Except she's people who confirmed her story from 25 years ago. Multiple people. Plus she's got confirmation from the interns she was in charge of at the time that she was suddenly reassigned without explanation, which agree with her part of the story of what happened when she reported Biden for his conduct.

You know RT is a propaganda rag for the Kremlin and consistently peddles disinformation, right? They had to register as a foreign agent under FARA for crying out loud.

Yes. But you can't let what RT does or doesn't do affect your judgement. Part of why Putin is successful is that both truth and fiction are on RT. He does it deliberately. Either ignore RT or look beyond what's covered and into the evidence of the stories. Don't fall into the simple trap of RT=false.

Why would Reade call her ex-neighbor from ~25 years ago out of the blue just prior to a huge story involving the neighbor breaking?

The same reason any of us would call people who could corroborate our story from decades ago? This seems like anyone in Reade's place would do it. "Hey, do you remember when I told you {something}?"

What of people having their stories coached along by a rando progressive journo who then deleted his account of events?

Where is this coming from?

The neighbor doesn't have to be lying or misremembering. If Reade was not initially honest with the neighbor, then all they could corroborate was the lie they were told.

I agree. My point was that it does undermine the argument that Reade made this up recently, specifically since Biden became the front runner.

Reade has changed or backpeddled SO many crucial details about this story. If the specific date or time of the alleged incident was known, Biden could either produce an alibi supported by evidence or fail to produce one. That's exactly what blew apart a bogus accusation this past weekend. But of course, the date and time are not known.

I agree that it hurts her credibility than if she'd told the same story throughout. But we also know that the story changing depending on who the victim was talking to is extremely common in these cases.

I know you're no Biden fan and that's fine but I think you're letting your opinion of him affect your ability to critically analyze the evidence here and admit that some aspects of this set of events are extremely suspect.

I think you and knapplc have blinders on for the candidate that you want to win to the exclusion of all evidence and reason. There's a lot of gray area between thinking Reade is credible and Biden is definitely guilty.

• Plus1 1
23 minutes ago, Notre Dame Joe said:

And if it was in U Delaware's room, it has been removed by Biden's people who went in right after the first wave of accusations came out in 2019.  Really the existence of a written complaint says very little about the accuracy of the writing. 

I don't believe that. I doubt Biden's people combed through many boxes to find that complaint when it's unlikely they even knew what to look for.

• Plus1 1
58 minutes ago, RedDenver said:

think you and knapplc have blinders on for the candidate that you want to win to the exclusion of all evidence and reason. There's a lot of gray area between thinking Reade is credible and Biden is definitely guilty.

And @knapplc loves to lecture me on "reason" and say that I'm intellectually dishonest.  Meanwhile any weakness in the victim's story he presents as definitive proof that it's one big conspiracy.

• Plus1 1
7 hours ago, RedDenver said:

I think you and knapplc have blinders on for the candidate that you want to win to the exclusion of all evidence and reason. There's a lot of gray area between thinking Reade is credible and Biden is definitely guilty.

QDauB5k.jpg

17 minutes ago, BlitzFirst said:

I think it's coming from a UK journalist who supposedly 'coached' Tara Reade's brother by asking him for clarification...which prompted him to recall more detail.  A journalist asking for clarification = coaching.

I'm not sure if this is the exact example of they were talking...but the journalist did not delete their account and I posted a few pages back tweets from the journalist denying he coached anyone.

This is all very generous. Brother talked to the WaPo, his story didn't involve sexual assault. Reporter then reaches out to brother (reporter is author of "Why Bernie has to Win", and "Everyone is getting on the Bernie Train", admits it on twitter, and has since deleted that tweet), brother then days later texts WaPo and says there was sexual assault. 

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
7 minutes ago, FrantzHardySwag said:

This is all very generous. Brother talked to the WaPo, his story didn't involve sexual assault. Reporter then reaches out to brother (reporter is author of "Why Bernie has to Win", and "Everyone is getting on the Bernie Train", admits it on twitter, and has since deleted that tweet), brother then days later texts WaPo and says there was sexual assault. 

Here are the deleted tweets.

EWziNRYWoAcry97.jpg

It's weird that everyone pushing this story has to keep editing and deleting and clarifying and reminding.

10 minutes ago, FrantzHardySwag said:

I'm just not sure what the point of Robinson's involvement was. He is editor-in-chief of Current Affairs, a small progressive outlet, which posted a story defending Reade from "bulls#!t" attacks, but that was posted just yesterday and he was not the author. He also writes for the Guardian but his most recent story was from April 14th entitled "Joe Biden needs to do a lot more if he wants to win over Sanders voters."

Is it common practice for journalists to advise sources how to respond to other journalists and/or publications? Seems odd. I suppose it's possible. But he basically told her brother what clarifications to make to another outlet.

5 minutes ago, Danny Bateman said:

I'm just not sure what the point of Robinson's involvement was. He is editor-in-chief of Current Affairs, a small progressive outlet, which posted a story defending Reade from "bulls#!t" attacks, but that was posted just yesterday and he was not the author. He also writes for the Guardian but his most recent story was from April 14th entitled "Joe Biden needs to do a lot more if he wants to win over Sanders voters."

Is it common practice for journalists to advise sources how to respond to other journalists and/or publications? Seems odd. I suppose it's possible. But he basically told her brother what clarifications to make to another outlet.

He's also admitted to telling Reade which reporters to speak to and which reporters will try and lie and twist her words - he thought the WaPo was out to get her. His getting his hands in this seems odd, huge Bernie supporter, he just re-hired Bernie's Press Secretary back to his company.