Have we really become more sensitive?

Wasn't there a time when Elvis could only be shown on TV from the waist up? Seems pretty sensitive to me.

Yes, definitely. We are not more sensitive now than we were. People don't like being called on their bullsh#t (source: me. I'm called on it all the time here & it's not fun. But you grow from it), so they claim there's this over-sensitive "PC culture" as a way of explaining how they fit into reality. They don't want to admit they're in the wrong, so it's clearly this culture.

We are far more permissive these days than we've ever been. As Moiraine said in the OP, nudity, language, homosexuality, women as strong characters, these are all things that are allowed today that absolutely were not in the 1980s. Where, in that permissiveness, is a culture more stringently repressive than in the 80s?

The complaint seems to be that we are more aware of the wrongness of objectifying women, or denigrating minorities, or abusing gays. That's what complaints about a "PC culture" mean to me.

• Fire 1

I dunno. I think we've evolved into a thin-skinned society where people are very quick to judge others based on a flippant comment. Take the P&R forum for example. I am not a Trump supporter.* Didn't vote for the guy. Think he's a clown. But I see instances where someone makes a statement in a P&R thread about Trump that I don't necessarily think is correct. I shy away from commenting on posts like that lest I'll be labeled a narrow minded conservative Neo Nazi asshat. Of course I'm exaggerating a bit. But not by much.

And it's not just politics. I've seen the same type of judgmental reaction in topics dealing with gender equality, gay rights, violence against women, religion, etc. But politics seems to be the worst on HB right now when it comes to self righteous people judging others.

* I'm also an not a Hillary supporter.

You don't comment on the "libs" "Dems" "progressives" labels that people get pinned with and attacked over.

Do you not see those, or do you not think those are worth commenting on? Because I've seen where atheists, liberals, progressives, etc, basically the other side of the political spectrum that you're saying are "labeled," are equally labeled.

I used politics as an example. I had to pick one or the other. I went with Trump in my example since he's the sitting president.

I guess to avoid any thin-skinned sensitivity to my choice of example I should have used two examples--one Dem and the other GOP? lulz

Do you need to talk down to me? I am neither thin-skinned nor sensitive, as you well know. We aren't furthering the conversation by making such accusations.

I dunno. I think we've evolved into a thin-skinned society where people are very quick to judge others based on a flippant comment. Take the P&R forum for example. I am not a Trump supporter.* Didn't vote for the guy. Think he's a clown. But I see instances where someone makes a statement in a P&R thread about Trump that I don't necessarily think is correct. I shy away from commenting on posts like that lest I'll be labeled a narrow minded conservative Neo Nazi asshat. Of course I'm exaggerating a bit. But not by much.

And it's not just politics. I've seen the same type of judgmental reaction in topics dealing with gender equality, gay rights, violence against women, religion, etc. But politics seems to be the worst on HB right now when it comes to self righteous people judging others.

Have you considered the possiblity that people were always like this, but they didn't start using the internet in large numbers until 15 years ago?

That's entirely possible. I also think people interact MUCH differently as an anonymous message board poster than they do in person. In real world conversations I think people are more likely to let a disagreeable comment slide in order to avoid a confrontation. (Some people anyway.) So there's that. :dunno:

You don't comment on the "libs" "Dems" "progressives" labels that people get pinned with and attacked over.

Do you not see those, or do you not think those are worth commenting on? Because I've seen where atheists, liberals, progressives, etc, basically the other side of the political spectrum that you're saying are "labeled," are equally labeled.

I used politics as an example. I had to pick one or the other. I went with Trump in my example since he's the sitting president.

I guess to avoid any thin-skinned sensitivity to my choice of example I should have used two examples--one Dem and the other GOP? lulz

Do you need to talk down to me? I am neither thin-skinned nor sensitive, as you well know. We aren't furthering the conversation by making such accusations.

Well, you *did* just bring up my use of the GOP rather than the Dems in my example above. Think about it.

Actually, sorry Knapp. I'm just tweaking you because I suspect you are actually more thin-skinned that you admit to. I know I am. We ALL are! :lol:

/btw, I don't mean to be non-responsive after this. But I have an out of town meeting I'm heading off to right now. I'll be gone for at least four or five hours. Maybe more if I swing by the golf course on the way back.

In some things we've gotten better, but at the same time, we have things like trigger warnings and safe spaces because people don't want to be challenged in their worldview.

Are "trigger warnings" and "safe spaces" a widely used or accepted thing, or are they fringe buzzwords for small groups that have gotten big headlines?

I can't remember the last time in real life anyone has mentioned a trigger, except ironically. Certainly hasn't happened here.

The only time on HuskerBoard I can remember anyone talking about a safe space for themselves was when several conservative members of the board wanted a conservative-only thread or forum just for them to talk politics in because they didn't want to interact with "liberals."

• Fire 1

Actually, sorry Knapp. I'm just tweaking you because I suspect you are actually more thin-skinned that you admit to. I know I am. We ALL are! :lol:

I'm certainly not impervious to insult, nobody is. But much like asking when I've admitted I'm wrong and my reply that nobody does, this is a suspicion you could have of literally every member of this board. Who wants to openly admit their personal weaknesses? I don't see that happening with anyone. Maybe a small percentage of the board.

I think society has definitely become more accepting, and that's great. But, sometimes that acceptance borders on over-sensitivity.

Can you give some examples of where acceptance has gone too far?

This may not be "acceptance" but any type of crappy behavior by a kid, and the kid is given a behavior-label as a doctor, so his or her behavior is excused.

I think society has definitely become more accepting, and that's great. But, sometimes that acceptance borders on over-sensitivity.

This may not be "acceptance" but any type of crappy behavior by a kid, and the kid is given a behavior-label as a doctor, so his or her behavior is excused.
sounds like bad parenting. My brother and I were diagnosed with behavioral conditions but that sure as hell didn't excuse us from any type of bad behavior with our mother.

I would think that's less an example of PC culture than an example of our overly-medicated/diagnosed society.

• Fire 1