Mandel: Huskers Drop from 'Kings' to 'Barons' of CFB

They went 10-2, 5-7, 7-6 the next 3 years after that too so from 97-07 they were 74-61.

I think those seasons include wins that were stripped from the record books for NCAA violations.

I'm kinda folding this thread in with the other thread where an ESPN host claims "Nebraska will never be a national power again."

It makes absolutely no sense to say "never" as every King of College Football has gone into a trough -- most of them worse than Nebraska's.

But the guy subbing for Finebaum is certainly right that the landscape has changed, and Nebraska will never regain the clout it had when national TV exposure was much more limited.

It makes absolutely no sense to say "never" as every King of College Football has gone into a trough -- most of them worse than Nebraska's.

If by worse you mean a handful of 3-5 win seasons in a row, then yes, you're right. But I don't think any other blueblood has gone into a 20 year slump with not a single conference championship or major bowl appearance or top 10 finish sprinkled somewhere in there, unless you count schools that never recovered like Minnesota. Tennessee is probably another one, but they're still yet to recover, as are we, as is Miami.

They went 10-2, 5-7, 7-6 the next 3 years after that too so from 97-07 they were 74-61.

I think those seasons include wins that were stripped from the record books for NCAA violations.

I'm kinda folding this thread in with the other thread where an ESPN host claims "Nebraska will never be a national power again."

But the guy subbing for Finebaum is certainly right that the landscape has changed, and Nebraska will never regain the clout it had when national TV exposure was much more limited.

Yes you are correct. Technically they would be 54-61 over that span I believe.

I don't know if I would say we are a baron though we have performed like one for 20 years as everyone has mentioned. But I feel like Nebraska is still nationally recognized. I've spent a lot of time in Alabama and there were a surprising amount of people down there that were either very respectful of the Huskers or were even fans (I met probably 6 in a town of 2000, not bad in my opinion)

The simple answer is you get more credit for the highs than you get marked down for the lows. I don't don't think that's necessarily unreasonable.

Teams that have had at least a season or two with a big accomplishment - conference title, New Year's Six appearance, etc. - are more easily forgiven for having some down times during a span.

So other teams have had worse seasons than we have. But they at least have a season or two to hang their hat on. We haven't really had one in 15+ seasons.

Had any one of 5 or six plays against Texas gone differently a few years ago, it would probably be a different narrative, as crazy as that is.

I'm just glad he moved LSU up with their 7 win seasons they deserve to move up to kings.

I mean they do have two national titles and three conference championships since 2003. Won a sugar bowl not included in those and participated in a third national title game but lost. Again the highs overrule the lows.

• Fire 1

My take is:

What is Nebraka's "sex appeal?"

Oregon had their uniforms, a loud ass stadium, a Heisman, multiple BCS/Natty/Nike...

Notre Dame had high draft picks, a couple BCS, rankings, Mante Teo, etc.

Penn St had a huge scandal, a reclamation

USC always fares well w their QB and draft picks

LSU, plain ballers

Louisville been upswing

Houston kind of Cinderella types

tOSU/MICH love em or hate em, always there.

Alabama, uhhhh, yeah.

Florida St, cache and in the mix

In other words: a sell out streak, 9 win seasons and no real "identity", and lack luster draft status leaves us neither here nor there.

If I was Wisconsin or MSU, I'd be demanding more respect. If I were Clemson or Oklahoma I'd be asking "we have done much for you lately, no?"

We have no sex appeal. We have no cache. We have nothing to offer a national audience, in the last 10 years except a raging coach and a "rebuild"

My take is:

Oregon had their uniforms, a loud ass stadium, a Heisman, multiple BCS/Natty/Nike...

LSU, plain ballers

Louisville been upswing

Alabama, uhhhh, yeah.

In other words: a sell out streak, 9 win seasons and no real "identity", and lack luster draft status leaves us neither here nor there.

If I was Wisconsin or MSU, I'd be demanding more respect. If I were Clemson or Oklahoma I'd be asking "we have done much for you lately, no?"

We have no sex appeal. We have no cache. We have nothing to offer a national audience, in the last 10 years except a raging coach and a "rebuild"

We're recruiting pretty well right now tbh. Bo just wasn't much of a recruiter.

Alabama's record from 1997 - 2004:

4-7

7-5

10-3

3-8

7-5

10-3

4-9

6-6

2 ranked seasons, 6 unranked seasons, 3 losing seasons

So in 2004 you probably could have dropped Alabama down to Baron status, too.

For that matter, Bama posted unacceptable-by-Nebraska-standards seasons for most of the 1980s.

I remember a lot of people counting Bama out back then. LSU and Florida were much better jobs. Then they hired LSU's old coach.

OU was a punching bag in the 90s. Then they hired Stoops. Gotta hire the right guy.

My take is:

LSU, plain ballers

Louisville been upswing

Alabama, uhhhh, yeah.

Totally agree. And we're actually "selling something". Cant pin it down quite yet, can't articulate what that is...but HCMR is selling some sweet honey to some promising kids. Now we need a Mariotta, a bad ass Bowl win (like Boise or TCU have had recently). We need a Christian McCraffry or an undeniably sick ass Blackshirt defense.

No one cares, besides us, about a sell out streak or a player on a Super Bowl team for 20 straight years. People like the appeal of a sexy brand or they like pure dominance. Or, sadly people like reclamation after scandal like Miami or PSU. We have had none for a long time.

I think things are trending for us in appeal and brand but gotta win to make it stick.

If Nebraska can win on a big a stage and have a Star player lead that, we will regain our King status.

• Fire 1

My take is:

LSU, plain ballers

Louisville been upswing

Alabama, uhhhh, yeah.

Totally agree. And we're actually "selling something". Cant pin it down quite yet, can't articulate what that is...but HCMR is selling some sweet honey to some promising kids. Now we need a Mariotta, a bad ass Bowl win (like Boise or TCU have had recently). We need a Christian McCraffry or an undeniably sick ass Blackshirt defense.

No one cares, besides us, about a sell out streak or a player on a Super Bowl team for 20 straight years. People like the appeal of a sexy brand or they like pure dominance. Or, sadly people like reclamation after scandal like Miami or PSU. We have had none for a long time.

I think things are trending for us in appeal and brand but gotta win to make it stick.

If Nebraska can win on a big a stage and have a Star player lead that, we will regain our King status.

They are selling a vision of the future. I agree it would help to have the finished product on display but that's what you do until you do.

I should add that when 80K show up for a spring scrimmage that helps.

I'm just glad he moved LSU up with their 7 win seasons they deserve to move up to kings.

I mean they do have two national titles and three conference championships since 2003. Won a sugar bowl not included in those and participated in a third national title game but lost. Again the highs overrule the lows.

But if they weren't a king in 2012, what have they done since then to deserve moving up?

• Fire 1

But if they weren't a king in 2012, what have they done since then to deserve moving up?
LSU was moved to kings in 2012 not this edition