SBNation: If Vegas is right about these 8 college football teams, will they fire their coaches?

Nebraska: 6 wins

The Cornhuskers fired Bo Pelini after he went 9-4, 10-4, 10-4, 9-4, 10-4, 9-4, and 9-4. So far, Mike Riley has gone 6-7 and 9-4, so 6-6 would represent a serious backslide in one of the Power 5’s weakest divisions, the Big Ten West.

If Riley goes 7-5 this year, which I'm inclined to think this is going to occur, I think his hiring can be considered a failure.

We got exactly what I thought we were going to get, which is an "eh" coach that is nicer than his predecessor.

But it seems like Riley has made good moves to get us heading in the right direction. I like our assistants a lot. Think we have a lot better staff now, than under Pelini. And recruiting is certainly up.

I mention this because I generally think It's easier fix what we have in place rather than to fire the guy and start from scratch. When we reboot we go back to square one for a couple of years while the new coach retools the team to fit his schemes. I was one of the few who didn't want to fire Pelini. And I'd like to see us stick with Riley now that he's here.

=========================

Welcome back, btw. :lol:

Our staff may be better, but we've amassed 17 losses in three season.

The recruiting might be better, but unless you have a coach that can utilize that talent, then that's talent wasted.

How many years of, he's a great guy, but he's lost 5+ games is this fan base willing to endure?

The Cornhuskers fired Bo Pelini after he went 9-4, 10-4, 10-4, 9-4, 10-4, 9-4, and 9-4. So far, Mike Riley has gone 6-7 and 9-4, so 6-6 would represent a serious backslide in one of the Power 5s weakest divisions, the Big Ten West.

If Riley goes 7-5 this year, which I'm inclined to think this is going to occur, I think his hiring can be considered a failure.

We got exactly what I thought we were going to get, which is an "eh" coach that is nicer than his predecessor.

But it seems like Riley has made good moves to get us heading in the right direction. I like our assistants a lot. Think we have a lot better staff now, than under Pelini. And recruiting is certainly up.

I mention this because I generally think It's easier fix what we have in place rather than to fire the guy and start from scratch. When we reboot we go back to square one for a couple of years while the new coach retools the team to fit his schemes. I was one of the few who didn't want to fire Pelini. And I'd like to see us stick with Riley now that he's here.

We have?

• Fire 2

The Cornhuskers fired Bo Pelini after he went 9-4, 10-4, 10-4, 9-4, 10-4, 9-4, and 9-4. So far, Mike Riley has gone 6-7 and 9-4, so 6-6 would represent a serious backslide in one of the Power 5’s weakest divisions, the Big Ten West.

The recruiting might be better, but unless you have a coach that can utilize that talent, then that's talent wasted.

How many years of, he's a great guy, but he's lost 5+ games is this fan base willing to endure?

couple more.
  • Fire 1

The Cornhuskers fired Bo Pelini after he went 9-4, 10-4, 10-4, 9-4, 10-4, 9-4, and 9-4. So far, Mike Riley has gone 6-7 and 9-4, so 6-6 would represent a serious backslide in one of the Power 5s weakest divisions, the Big Ten West.

We have?

Probably a rounding error

What exactly has Michigan done since Harbaughs arrival? I'm gonna say not much if we consider he inherited a loaded roster compared to what Riley inherited.

Finish ranked in the polls. Be in the hunt for a conference title at the end of November. Be nationally relevant.

• Fire 2

The current staff (well, most of them) are 15-11. Hopefully this year is a breakthrough.

• Fire 1

As to the "Harbaugh has all the talent" argument, yes that's true.

But all you have do do is look at recent history for Michigan, Texas, Tennessee, etc. to know that it's not just about talent.

Yes but my point is more Nebraska wasn't really in the same boat as those schools. Those schools have had elite talent and underperformed on the field. Nebraska had slightly above average talent at best. Harbaugh I think got the Michigan guys to play to their potential. He is a great coach and that is a key ingredient. He brings it all together. But I just think if you were to give Riley the same situation as Harbaugh he would perform closer to Harbaugh than Hoke imo. These are the points I was trying to draw from my statements.

I say this if only for the simple fact that Michigan's roster in 2015 would have been much better suited for Riley's dream schemes.

• Fire 1

That's possible. It's also possible that I could have taken the talent Michigan had last year and gone 10-3. It doesn't really matter because it's not what happened.

His last three college teams have finished the year ranked in the Top 12 and he had a stint as an NFL head coach where he took two teams to the Conference championship game and a third to the Super Bowl. To try to discredit his accomplishments as "well, he's just got a lot of talent" is disingenuous at best.

• Fire 3

That's possible. It's also possible that I could have taken the talent Michigan had last year and gone 10-3. It doesn't really matter because it's not happening.

His last three college teams have finished the year ranked in the Top 12 and he had a stint as an NFL head coach where he took two teams to the Conference championship game and a third to the Super Bowl. To try to discredit his accomplishments as "well, he's just got a lot of talent" is disingenuous at best.

that's not what I'm saying and you know it. Harbaugh was brought into this conversation in the first place to frame Riley's first year as terrible. I'm simply pointing out that isn't a fair comparison.
  • Fire 1

That's possible. It's also possible that I could have taken the talent Michigan had last year and gone 10-3. It doesn't really matter because it's not happening.

that's not what I'm saying and you know it. Harbaugh was brought into this conversation in the first place to frame Riley's first year as terrible. I'm simply pointing out that isn't a fair comparison.

What exactly has Michigan done since Harbaughs arrival? I'm gonna say not much if we consider he inherited a loaded roster compared to what Riley inherited.

:dunno

• Fire 2

:dunno

hasn't won the division, hasn't beaten OSU, hasn't won a NY6 bowl. Yes they have been ranked highly he has them headed in the right direction but he started with a team with top 15 talent and made them a top 12 team. I'm over here arguing our coach could do similar things because I think we have a good coach! Wow what a revelation! I think Harbaugh wouldn't have done as well with our less talented roster! Woah!!! That's surprising!! I admitted I thought he would fair slightly better than Riley did. I get it, you don't think Riley is a good coach and you think that me comparing Riley anywhere near Harbaugh is an insult to Harbaugh. I am sorry if I offended you. Personally I think Riley is nearly just as good of a coach as Harbaugh. Time shall tell. We will see who wins the things that matter. Luckily for you I am a rational optimist so you can expect me to join your side of the fence if we see another year of mediocrity. But I am just convinced that is not what we will see this year.
  • Fire 1

Michigan recruiting rankings under Hoke:

2011: #21 (20 commitments)

2012: #7 (25 commitments)

2013 #5 (27 commitments)

2014 #31 (16 commitments)

Say what you will about Hoke as a coach. But the guy brought in tons of talent that Harbaugh has benefited from. Two top 10 classes in his four years as HC. And Harbaugh has kept it up. Other than his transition year in 2015, he's done a heck of a good job bringing in talent.

So Mike Riley is perhaps our Hoke (who had to rebuild after Lloyd Carr and Rich Rodriguez messed the Michigan program up) while Scott Frost is our Harbaugh? :dunno

• Fire 2