LandOf10: Iowa-Nebraska series sizzling toward rivalry status

Rivalry Talk  

114 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Just now, Redux said:

I want to play Northwestern or Iowa to open the year.  Then Kansas every year the week before Black Friday, and Penn State on Black Friday.

I'd like to see Nebraska open the year against any B1G opponent, honestly.  NW and Iowa would be good but in reality, I just want to see a conference game as an opener

2 hours ago, Xmas32 said:

I wonder if some of it stems from when he first took over the job in '99 and right out of the gate, Nebraska put a couple beatings on Iowa in '99 and '00.  It appears that Ferentz filed those blowouts away in his "Count of Monte Cristo" folder and was plotting his revenge for a while.   

Man, if that were true, those would be some well-aged, sour grapes.

• Plus1 1
16 minutes ago, StPaulHusker said:

Which has turned into a fine wine he's sippin while we are on our 4th coach since then

Well with all those championships he won over the last 18 years (I had to look it up...Iowa got two "at-a-boy" Big Ten co-championships with Ferentz, in 2002 and 2004, which was before the Big Ten started their championship title game in 2011), I am sure that wine, as you call it, goes down real smooth. With his 59% career winning record, I am sure Nebraska would love to have Ferentz coaching all that time on this side of the river. Am I right?

• Plus1 2

10 minutes ago, Thanks_Tom RR said:

Well with all those championships he won over the last 18 years (I had to look it up...Iowa got two "at-a-boy" Big Ten co-championships with Ferentz, in 2002 and 2004, which was before the Big Ten started their championship title game in 2011), I am sure that wine, as you call it, goes down real smooth. With his 59% career winning record, I am sure Nebraska would love to have Ferentz coaching all that time on this side of the river. Am I right?

He's cashing checks and kicking our ass.  The 4 combined coaches we have had have 1 more win than Ferentz does since 2001.  We don't have room to criticize right now.

• Plus1 1
2 hours ago, StPaulHusker said:

He's cashing checks and kicking our ass.  The 4 combined coaches we have had have 1 more win than Ferentz does since 2001.  We don't have room to criticize right now.

Two average-performing programs, one content in their averageness and the other active in reform, are not on the same trajectory. But, yeah, other than the historic greatness of the 70s, 80s, and 90s of Nebraska, these two programs have achieved equally little as of late.

/Edit

Also, why just since 2001 and not Ferentz's full tenure? Don't want to include those 1-10 and 3-9 Iowa seasons vs Nebraska's 12-1 and 10-2? That would put Nebraska at 19 wins to the good. That is not too much of a difference, about, one extra win per year, but that reinforces my point that even with a better yearly record, Nebraska looks to get better and Iowa is more of the same.

• Plus1 1
14 hours ago, Redux said:

It's probably because we're all aware that Iowa has done more than us recently, yet they have also done just as badly as our 2015 and 2017 campaigns, and furthermore have never done anything remotely close to our dynasty runs which you will remind us were a long time ago.

But really, Iowa has had moderate success because of one thing: Consistency

Whether you think Ferentz is a good coach or not, he has given them an identity and they pound that identify into the ground year after year.  Good for them.  Too bad Landlord of Kinnick Stadiums favorite team is about to get boatraced every time they face us, FROST DONT LOSE TO HAWKEYE TRASH!

You should have your own pro rasslin' podcast.

16 hours ago, caveman99 said:

Sipple mentioned this morning that Moos said Alvarez is opposed to playing on Black Friday so it won’t happen. Everyone just needs to embrace having Iowa there and revel in the opportunity to beat them. 

Then we'll play them on Black Saturday.  Wisconsin needs to be the team we finish the regular season with.  Come on Caveman99, make it happen.  I know you got the clout.  ;)

Iowa vs Wisconsin would be my pick to close the season for those teams, not on Friday.  Give us Penn State on Black Friday.  The casual channel surfer looking for a game to watch that happens upon Nebraska vs Penn State is going to stop and watch.  Not only do both teams names carry weight, but we are also talking about two of the best and most classic aesthetically appealing uniforms in college football regardless of who the home team is.

It's a great matchuo and one we never should have let slip away from annual status during the reshift, but all the higher ups could think about was a fabricated rivalry and trophy between two farm states.  Yank.  Give us Iowa in week 1, I bet we don't lose to them for another 20 years.  They almost always suck out if the gate and find their footing by November.

1 hour ago, Saunders said:

Ya'll gotta consider travel too. Going to Madison or Happy Valley for an away game (or vice versa) is gonna be very hard for fans. Much different then hopping in the car for a few hours.

I completely agree that travel makes a yearly Black Friday matchup vs PSU very difficult.  I would suggest every 3rd year could be a neutral site meeting if it didn't affect revenue so harshly.  But if the teams are good, and I feel like both are close to being near that upper echelon again, it won't matter.  After 10yrs of that game being played, it will feel like a storied rivalry.

85_1113.jpg

Seriously, does this image not just scream college football?

• Plus1 1

Can't see us playing penn st in a neutral site matchup - would be 8 hours each way (no guarantee that they would get 80K+ each year.  Now we could declare Wisconsin as our rival and play in a neutral site - this would be funny because it would most likely be in Iowa City.  Truly neutral site games will never work for NU because it would never out way the advantage of a home sellout.