LandOf10: Iowa-Nebraska series sizzling toward rivalry status

Rivalry Talk  

114 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

The series is knotted at 3-3 since we joined the B1G. And we lead 8-4 in the modern era. We didn't play them between 1946-1979, so I started the 8-4 beginning in 1979. So, it could be considered somewhat of a rivalry especially since we joined the B1G. But, I would consider it more of a hatred than anything.

So, I seem to remember reading something somewhere years ago about Ferentz never wanting to be part of the Black Friday game in the first place, but I cant find a link to anything.  Maybe it was all from speculation.  I mean, SOMEBODY decided that we should end the series and rotate opponents, right?  I can't imagine it was us.

6 minutes ago, Kiyoat Husker said:

So, I seem to remember reading something somewhere years ago about Ferentz never wanting to be part of the Black Friday game in the first place, but I cant find a link to anything.  Maybe it was all from speculation.  I mean, SOMEBODY decided that we should end the series and rotate opponents, right?  I can't imagine it was us.

Was it this?

16 minutes ago, GSG said:

Was it this?

Quite possibly...  The Rivals message board doesn't link anymore, though.  I'd be interested in what Kirk supposedly said about the game.  Oh, well.  Probably just a bunch of Hawkeye fans whining on a message board for no apparent reason.

Edited by Kiyoat Husker
2 hours ago, Kiyoat Husker said:

That was Barry Eichorsts final parting gift for us.

• Plus1 1

57 minutes ago, MacNCheeze said:

I would be all for giving up the end of the year game against Iowa.  If we play them just play them at the middle of the season.  But to play wisconson on black friday, now that would be something.  Call it the Red and White Shootout.  I think that would be fun.

Yeah, but with recent history, they would call it the Red-White Blowout.

• Plus1 1

Thanks to douchbag Mike Riley and his gang of clown coaches, the IOWA game is a rivalry. At this point, beating Iowa will be our crown accomplishment for this season. The only other accomplishment that can top that at this point will be this Sunday when the Moos sends Riley and gang packing FOREVER NEVER TO BE SEEN OR HEARD OF AGAIN.

• Plus1 1

I think most Nebraska fans consider a rivalry to be an evenly matched series between similar teams with much on the line in regards to championships and success.   A rivalry built on mutual respect between each team and each fan base.  Like OU vs NU.

What most NU fans don’t seem to want to adopt is a rivalry built on Good Old Fashioned Hate !!  Study some of the rivalries of the South— many of them just built on a hatred of the other school and fans.

Living in eastern Nebraska — I interact with Iowa fans often.  Many of the ones I know are dismissive about NU’s success and quick to point out our shortcomings since joining the Big Ten.  Hang around them for a little while and you’ll want to beat them more than almost anybody on our schedule !

• Plus1 2
1 hour ago, secretasianman said:

I think most Nebraska fans consider a rivalry to be an evenly matched series between similar teams with much on the line in regards to championships and success.   A rivalry built on mutual respect between each team and each fan base.  Like OU vs NU.

What most NU fans don’t seem to want to adopt is a rivalry built on Good Old Fashioned Hate !!  Study some of the rivalries of the South— many of them just built on a hatred of the other school and fans.

Living in eastern Nebraska — I interact with Iowa fans often.  Many of the ones I know are dismissive about NU’s success and quick to point out our shortcomings since joining the Big Ten.  Hang around them for a little while and you’ll want to beat them more than almost anybody on our schedule !

I lived in western Iowa during my high school years, and was home base (parents lived there) while I was at UNL.  There's about as many Iowa State fans as there are Iowa fans, that's more of a rivalry.  Most were indifferent about NU, some hated the attention NU got because they watched the Omaha TV stations.  I didn't come to hate Iowagians (our family nickname for them).  The ones I've dealt with when visiting my sister and family are all friendly people, but that's in a couple small towns (mostly Danes, Elk Horn and Kimbalton).  Heck, my dad was voted mayor of Kimbalton a few months before he passed away.  Nah, let's find another school to "hate".   

I still hate OU.  

Edit: come to think of it, perhaps I would feel the hate if I wore a NU shirt.  Maybe I'll try that someday, but I look horrible in red.

Edited by GamingGlen