Mayweather v. McGregor - August 26

Mavric

I understand wanting to say they are equal, and in many ways they are.  But at the end of the day 99 times out of 100 the MMA guy is going to beat the Boxing guy in a legitimate fight.  Boxing is like chess, pick your moments and moves etc.  I respect that.  I don't respect Mayweather.

Those saying Floyd dominated it and toyed with him, that's fine and believe what ya want.  Connor couldn't get the KO in the first 3 or 4 rounds so his window of winning the fight closed.  In the end it took an MMA guy to give boxing a shot of adrenaline and a massive payday.  That's why the purists are mad about it.

• Plus1 1

2 minutes ago, 1995 Redux said:

I understand wanting to say they are equal, and in many ways they are.  But at the end of the day 99 times out of 100 the MMA guy is going to beat the Boxing guy in a legitimate fight.  Boxing is like chess, pick your moments and moves etc.  I respect that.  I don't respect Mayweather.

Those saying Floyd dominated it and toyed with him, that's fine and believe what ya want.  Connor couldn't get the KO in the first 3 or 4 rounds so his window of winning the fight closed.  In the end it took an MMA guy to give boxing a shot of adrenaline and a massive payday.  That's why the purists are mad about it.

I'm really not a fan of either.

But....Floyd was toying with him for most of the fight.  That was obvious to even my wife.

When he wasn't toying with him, he was beating his ass.

• Plus1 1
9 minutes ago, Fru said:

10 rounds is 10 rounds. Dude lands more punches on Mayweather than Pac, Cotto and Mosley and it's "Well Floyd was just messing with him." 

No, context matters.

For the first 4 rounds Floyd was putting his hands up, walking straight at Conor and standing in front of him straight-legged.  Not using his footwork to navigate the ring, literally walking at him like he was strolling through the park.  If he did that against Mosley, Cotto, and Pac he would have been knocked out cold within seconds.

• Plus1 3
37 minutes ago, 1995 Redux said:

But at the end of the day 99 times out of 100 the MMA guy is going to beat the Boxing guy in a legitimate fight.

You never did answer my question why MMA guys are so obsessed with "my dad can beat up your dad".

There's literally no other sport where people care about this.  Steph Curry would wreck non-basketball players 1-on-1.  Nobody gives a squirt.

• Plus1 1

9 minutes ago, The Dude said:

You never did answer my question why MMA guys are so obsessed with "my dad can beat up your dad".

There's literally no other sport where people care about this.  Steph Curry would wreck non-basketball players 1-on-1.  Nobody gives a squirt.

Probably because boxing purists are so snobbish about the two sports being completely different or incredibly similar depending on what their narrative at the time is.  And granted, 75% of the MMA fan base is dumb as a box of sh#t.

Because the two sports are both one on one hand to hand combat sports, so the question is pretty obviously going to be who could beat who.  Comparing boxing and MMA is way more relative than comparing basketball and football.

• Plus1 2
1 hour ago, The Dude said:

If the hypothetical is important to you maybe be more fair and meet somewhere in the middle. 

Who would win between Golovkin and McGregor in a kickboxing match?

It's not really important to me.  I think the whole thing was nothing more than a massive money grab and Connor never boxes again, Floyd rerereretires and Boxing survives yet again.

To answer this hypothetical, if it's a kickboxing match, probably not Connor.

44 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

I'm not even a boxing fan, but at least I can see the sport in boxing. 

Mma is just plain idiotic to me. 

Are you John McCain?

4 hours ago, 1995 Redux said:

In the end it took an MMA guy to give boxing a shot of adrenaline and a massive payday.  That's why the purists are mad about it.

Didn't Pacquaio v Mayweather break all sorts of boxing revenue records in 2015? That was only two years ago.

13 minutes ago, Enhance said:

Didn't Pacquaio v Mayweather break all sorts of boxing revenue records in 2015? That was only two years ago.

Probably.  Without looking, this shattered that I believe.  I didn't watch that match because I expected a snoozefest and that's what it was from what I had been told.

8 hours ago, Enhance said:

Yeah it broke the all time PPV record by a lot.

Canelo-Chavez did more PPV buys than any UFC event this year.  Canelo-Golovkin figures to do even more.  Joshua-Klitchko sold out a 90,000 seat soccer stadium and broke British PPV records this year.

Both are niche sports that rely on star power to sell tickets.  Anthony Joshua is basically Mike Tyson in the UK.

Neither sport has a ton of star power right now.  McGregor was a big star, but he needed a crossover gimmick with Mayweather to go mainstream.  And who knows if he even plans on fighting much longer now that he has all that boxing money.

15 hours ago, The Dude said:

No, context matters.

For the first 4 rounds Floyd was putting his hands up, walking straight at Conor and standing in front of him straight-legged.  Not using his footwork to navigate the ring, literally walking at him like he was strolling through the park.  If he did that against Mosley, Cotto, and Pac he would have been knocked out cold within seconds.

So context matters when Floyd is being strategic to figure out Conor, but context doesn't matter when a complete boxing novice has his first fight ever with the goat and exists in the same ring for 10 rounds? Mmmk

• Plus1 1
On 8/26/2017 at 2:26 PM, Enhance said:

Full disclosure: I know very little about boxing as a sport and don't find any kind of organized fighting appealing.

I find the whole thing to be a charade. It's one of the greatest boxers of all time facing off against a loudmouth MMA fighter, somebody who has absolutely no business being in the ring with Mayweather to begin with. It seems like such a money grab, and paying the money to view it on PPV seems even more disingenuous.

The funny thing is, is that you could say the same thing if the roles were reversed and they fought in the octagon. 

• Plus1 1