Mayweather v. McGregor - August 26

Mavric

I feel like Conor had the first 3 rounds to land a knockout. That was his puncher's chance opportunity to win. Once Round 4 started, there was no way he was going to win a boxing match. 

It is interesting to me though how the Mayweather fans are as excited as they are about Floyd beating a dude who has never boxed professionally. Don't give me the "But Conor talks so much trash" line. That's what these guys do to sell PPV's. 

• Plus1 1

^ this and the fact they bring up the age difference. Randy Couture was 45+ thumping on dudes almost half his age in the UFC 

It all comes down to experience and Floyd had more experience in boxing for 20+ years to Connors 4-6 months of training. 

3 hours ago, Fru said:

I feel like Conor had the first 3 rounds to land a knockout. That was his puncher's chance opportunity to win. Once Round 4 started, there was no way he was going to win a boxing match. 

It is interesting to me though how the Mayweather fans are as excited as they are about Floyd beating a dude who has never boxed professionally. Don't give me the "But Conor talks so much trash" line. That's what these guys do to sell PPV's. 

I'm not a 'Mayweather fan' or a boxing fan, so from the casual perspective, the bolding makes sense to me.

For starters, a non-fan like myself knows there's tension between the MMA and boxing scenes. Boxing is significantly more lucrative and has a more storied history. Boxing has a holier-than-thou aura. Floyd was/is undefeated. An MMA fighter beating a tremendous boxer, regardless of his age, also would've been a blow to the boxing scene IMO. Would I have thought so personally? Not necessarily. But, that would've been a popular narrative out there.

Depending on your perspective, there was a lot to lose/gain from Floyd losing.

7 hours ago, 1995 Redux said:

So you aren't just like this in the football forum, good to know.

You without question are easily the most butt hurt poster on this entire forum so keep trying there spanky....  I actually feel sorry for you. 

Back to the topic.  Even Mayweather said 'I wanted to make this an entertaining fight' and went on to say that he let Conor come out and per his own words 'shoot his wad' early which if you have ever seen Mayweather fight before is exactly his usual MO.  Once that was over he then said he just went in and 'broke him down'.  He wasn't going for the knockout but yet he still got one.  

Any other decent fighter who actually would have come out and came at Conor would have made this a 3 round fight if that.  

• Plus1 1
23 minutes ago, Dewiz said:

^ this and the fact they bring up the age difference. Randy Couture was 45+ thumping on dudes almost half his age in the UFC 

It all comes down to experience and Floyd had more experience in boxing for 20+ years to Connors 4-6 months of training. 

Everyone ages differently.  Manny Pacquiao was was burned out by his mid-30s.  Bernard Hopkins was still fighting at a high level when he was damn near 50.

Watch the Mayweather-Gatti fight, then watch the Mayweather-McGregor fight.  Totally different guy.  Not that it really mattered in this fight, because you're right about the experience thing.  Floyd's been training seriously since he was 5 years old.  Floyd would have schooled Conor in boxing if he was in his 50s.

I'm not a Floyd fan.   He was a brilliant boxer, but his best skill may have been cherry-picking.  Taking great opponents, but at at time when they weren't at their best.  And he's a total POS douchebag as a person.  But that doesn't mean people should be dishonest about what happened in there. 

1 hour ago, Enhance said:

I'm not a 'Mayweather fan' or a boxing fan, so from the casual perspective, the bolding makes sense to me.

For starters, a non-fan like myself knows there's tension between the MMA and boxing scenes. Boxing is significantly more lucrative and has a more storied history. Boxing has a holier-than-thou aura. Floyd was/is undefeated. An MMA fighter beating a tremendous boxer, regardless of his age, also would've been a blow to the boxing scene IMO. Would I have thought so personally? Not necessarily. But, that would've been a popular narrative out there.

Depending on your perspective, there was a lot to lose/gain from Floyd losing.

For the sake of discourse, wouldn't the fact that an MMA fighter (that never boxed professionally) was able to go 10 rounds with the best boxer ever be a blow to the boxing scene? 

Perhaps. I don't know enough about the sports to have an honest opinion one way or the other. My instinct suggests McGregor is great athlete and, although MMA/boxing have a lot of differences, they also have many similarities. We don't have much of a reference pool so maybe crossover from MMA to boxing is more natural (and, potentially easier) than the other way around.

That last sentence is definitely debatable. My point though is McGregor is my only frame of reference since I don't follow either sport.

12 minutes ago, Fru said:

For the sake of discourse, wouldn't the fact that an MMA fighter (that never boxed professionally) was able to go 10 rounds with the best boxer ever be a blow to the boxing scene? 

If he would have gone actually 10 rounds with Mayweather actually going after him.....you would have a point.

32 minutes ago, Fru said:

It shouldn't.  Floyd was goofing around and treating it like an exhibition.   Like, he winked at Sugar Ray Leonard in the middle of round 4.  

The whole MMA vs boxing thing is pretty dumb.  At the end of the day it's just two different sports.    A big portion of MMA hardcores are obsessed with it, and Floyd used that to steal money from them.

• Plus1 2
6 minutes ago, The Dude said:

It shouldn't.  Floyd was goofing around and treating it like an exhibition.  

The whole MMA vs boxing thing is pretty dumb.  At the end of the day it's just two different sports.    A big portion of MMA hardcores are obsessed with it, and Floyd used that to steal money from them.

Well said.  Floyd literally was wearing a ski mask when he entered the arena.  Even he was acknowledging what you just said.

mayweather-ski-mask

29 minutes ago, Enhance said:

Perhaps. I don't know enough about the sports to have an honest opinion one way or the other. My instinct suggests McGregor is great athlete and, although MMA/boxing have a lot of differences, they also have many similarities. We don't have much of a reference pool so maybe crossover from MMA to boxing is more natural (and, potentially easier) than the other way around.

That last sentence is definitely debatable. My point though is McGregor is my only frame of reference since I don't follow either sport.

I know, that's why I said "for the sake of discourse."