Kris Kobach and Crosscheck: the war on a fair democracy

Grimes is the SOS for Kentucky. She's one of the rare breed of southern Democrats. I believe she endorsed Clinton for president. So that's probably why they're not cooperating. Well, and it's a farce.

But Kentucky's Governor is some conservative wunderkind. So I wonder what he thinks about this...

In which Jason Kander rips off Rick Santorum's own arm and beats him over the head with it on live TV:

Kander is heading up a national voter registration organization called Let America Vote. Shows you can still lose a Congressional race and still go on to do great things. He's an inspiration to me.

• Fire 3

If this action turns your crank - do something! Especially if you are in a state that is considering offering your info up.

Call your Governor and your SOS to let them know you want for all citizens to have the right to vote while keeping their information private. I've made it easy for you ...

Call: Your governor’s office (https://www.usa.gov/state-governor) and Secretary of State.

Script: Hi. I’m a constituent from [ZIP] calling to express my concern about the federal election integrity commission. Vice Chair Kobach’s history of voter suppression makes requesting citizen data deeply concerning. Don’t let him steal our votes. Please join with other states and refuse to comply with this invasive request.

(info on what each state is doing can be found here: http://www.pbs.org/…/trump-commission-requested-voter-data…/)

• Fire 1

Once either NY or California said they will not comply, every other state should have automatically turned down the request. What good would Nebraska voter information do in an "investigation" if even one of the most populous states deny the request?

If I'm Ricketts, my response would be easy. You could give lip service to Trump saying you'd like to give it, but don't see the good if other states don't as well.

A rather disheartening but informative read about the state of new voting requirements popping up all over the country:

If you read one thing, read about how few cases of voter fraud or impersonation actually occur:

The Brennan Center points to Kobach's own 2013 review (since taken offline) of 84 million votes cast in 22 states, where he found just 14 instances of fraud sent on to prosecutors, according to contemporaneous reporting.

Meanwhile, a large number of academic reviews disproves widespread voter impersonation. A researcher at Loyola University in Los Angeles reviewed a billion ballots and found 31 cases of voter impersonation, while an Arizona State University study found 10 cases in a review of a decade of ballots. Government investigations have similarly found few cases to prosecute, with just a handful of convictions nationwide. In rulings against state voter ID laws, courts have routinely cited a lack of evidence.