Trump's Voter Fraud Panel

I'm all for a free ID for all citizens. Whether they've committed a crime, whether they have papers. Make it easy to identify them if the need arises.

I support felons being able to vote, once they're out, if they earn it. I don't like reading stories about ones who have reformed themselves being treated like second class citizens. That doesn't sit well with me.

Undocumented immigrants obviously can't vote, but they should still get the card. Allow them to get a driver's license while you're at it. Currently only 11 blue states, Utah and DC allow them to.

I'll got out on a limb here ----

I don't mind all felons' voting. I mean, what are we exactly afraid of? How is their judgement any worse than half the US that's just dumb and unengaged. It's not exactly a "right" that many americans take advantage of, and sadly the way things are right now it's not really punishment to have it taken away (for most).

• Fire 2

Barring felons from voting has a disproportionately higher impact on Blacks than any other race. Blacks are more likely to be charged with higher offenses than White peers, conviction rates are higher, and their felony rates are therefore higher. That amounts to about 7.7% of Blacks being disenfranchised from the vote by laws restricting felons.

Now, pop quiz: Which party are Blacks more likely to vote for? And because of that, which party has a greater interest in suppressing Black votes?

• Fire 3

^^^ uhm :hmmph that is a tough quiz Knapp. Let me think for a moment. :frenchy Blacks vote mostly for the Republican Party and are suppressed by the Dem party. Oh, no that was in the pre-FDR world. Currently, Blacks vote Dems and the regressive voter laws come from Republican held states.

I don't have a problem at all for felons to vote. I don't think taking away their vote was a deterrent to crime. No felon before they committed the crime said to self - I might lose my right to vote if I do this but I'm going to do it anyway.

But Knapp brings up the other part that is worthy of another thread - the disproportionately % of blacks who are charged wt felonies.

^^^ uhm :hmmph that is a tough quiz Knapp. Let me think for a moment. :frenchyBlacks vote mostly for the Republican Party and are suppressed by the Dem party. Oh, no that was in the pre-FDR world. Currently, Blacks vote Dems and the regressive voter laws come from Republican held states.

I don't have a problem at all for felons to vote. I don't think taking away their vote was a deterrent to crime. No felon before they committed the crime said to self - I might lose my right to vote if I do this but I'm going to do it anyway.

But Knapp brings up the other part that is worthy of another thread - the disproportionately % of blacks who are charged wt felonies.

The bold in my previous post reminded me of something. Didn't someone post once that you can trace back today's republicans to yesterdays Dems and todays Dems back to yesterdays Republicans. If so, maybe that person or someone else can start a new thread on that topic. I had dismissed it at the time but maybe there is some validity to it.

Ok, take away the felon thing. I was throwing it out there without thinking about it.

In my mind I was differentiating felons from former felons even though that's not a thing, but as someone pointed out you can't vote from jail. Right?

Absentee ...

• 2 months later...

It'd be hilarious if Gorsuch voted to make it harder to gerrymander. Trump would have a meltdown. 

Based on what I've read lately, they'll have to convince Kennedy (or someone) that they have a solid way to determine how the lines are drawn and when it's done illegally.

It's really not that complicated in my opinion. They can simply limit the number of sides the shape can have. For instance, if there are no natural borders the max number of sides should be 6. If there are natural borders, a river can count as 1 "side," and the rest of that area can only have 5 sides. That eliminates snake-shaped districts. A state border can also be considered a natural border, although weird angles in states are usually caused by rivers anyway.

• 4 weeks later...