B1G Replaces SEC as Most Overrated Conference

The biggest shift in college football happened almost overnight, with so little warning it’s practically gone unnoticed. But as of today, with the release of the preseason Amway Coaches Poll for 2017, the SEC is no longer the sport’s most overrated conference.

That honor now belongs to the Big Ten.

While the SEC boasts the nation’s No. 1 team in Alabama, the coaches have put four Big Ten teams in the top 10 to start the season.

Four teams from the conference that hasn’t scored a single point in two consecutive appearances in the College Football Playoffs.

Four teams from the conference that face-planted during the most recent bowl season, going 3-7.

Four teams from the conference that, in the last two seasons, has a 20-24 record against the other Power Five leagues.

USA Today

The B1G is the most top-heavy P5 conference I think. Maybe not, but (sorry Husker bros) outside of the top 2-3.5 (Wisconsin is top 10 but not in the same sort of way that OSU/Mich/maybe PSU are), the rest of the conference is quite underwhelming, and Rutgers/Illinois/Indiana/Purdue is a really lousy bottom 4.

• Fire 2

The B1G is the most top-heavy P5 conference I think. Maybe not, but (sorry Husker bros) outside of the top 2-3.5 (Wisconsin is top 10 but not in the same sort of way that OSU/Mich/maybe PSU are), the rest of the conference is quite underwhelming, and Rutgers/Illinois/Indiana/Purdue is a really lousy bottom 4.

Unfortunately I believe this to be correct.

Totally agree.

I think if you look at most the power 5 conferences this is the set up you find. 2-3 teams on top and 3-4 at bottom that are not very good.