22 - 9 - 58%

I think Thorson's numbers are that "low" because of the style of offense that Fitzgerald prefers to play.  You know NW is going to be more conservative and defense oriented than most teams.  That said, I don't think Thorson is a great QB.  He's only getting a lot of press because he's a returning QB for NW.

If Diaco is able to improve the Blackshirts D significantly, the O-line improves (which improves the RB run game), and Langsdorf/Riley/Lee isn't forced to throw the ball 40-45 times a game, then those would be decent numbers for Lee.

I don't think stats like this can be looked in a vacuum.

12 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

I think Yards Per Attempt and Yards Per Completion are more effective numbers to look at, along with completion %.

Thorson's 2016 YPA and YPC were even worse than Armstrong's numbers were in 2016.  To me, that's where NU should show improvement with Lee.

The afternoon show put Lee's YPA at 7.7, if I remember right. 

Tommy Armstrong:

*2016 Nebraska Big Ten SR QB 11 151 294 51.4 2180 7.4 7.1 14 8 123.9

Clayton Thorson:

*2016 Northwestern Big Ten SO QB 13 280 478 58.6 3182 6.7 6.7 22 9 125.9

If Tanner Lee threw for 1,002 more yards, had 8 more TD's, 7% better completion percentage, and only one more INT than our numbers last year...I'd be okay with that. I think our run game will be much better this year to also help offset that. Just really hope that people aren't expecting him to come in and throw 65% 30 TD and 5 INT this season. 

9 minutes ago, Mavric said:

If he threw for 1000 more yards in the same 11 games that TA played, that would be something.  But Thorson's stats are over 13 games.

Fair enough. So, 600 more yards if you go by averages. But IMO to look at stats in CFB is very hard to do. So many different things go into those numbers. Style of offense, tempo, how good your defense is, your strength of schedule. 

B10 games only Armstrong was 50.2% (lowest in the conference) 7 TD 7 INT